:::is Makeup School A Waste Of Time:::

martygreene

What is it, exactly, that you want to do? If you want to work at a cosmetics counter, then no- you don't need to go to school for it.

You don't NEED to go to school for makeup to do weddings, photography, etc. but it certainly can help. If you want to do SFX I strongly suggest it.

It also depends on what people are referring to when they say "school". Do they mean somewhere like MUD or do they mean a state school that gives you a cosmetology license? The former I'd suggest over the latter.

School aside, whether you do it or not, seminars and workshops are definitely something you should do. Especially if you don't do school. Things like color theory, foundation matching, and all sorts of other "basics" things which aren't nessicarily as basic as people think they are (or as simplistic and easily passed off as over-taught) are important to have an instincual level of familiarity with. You can't go over them enough.

anaaliyahfan03

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
What is it, exactly, that you want to do? If you want to work at a cosmetics counter, then no- you don't need to go to school for it.

You don't NEED to go to school for makeup to do weddings, photography, etc. but it certainly can help. If you want to do SFX I strongly suggest it.

It also depends on what people are referring to when they say "school". Do they mean somewhere like MUD or do they mean a state school that gives you a cosmetology license? The former I'd suggest over the latter.

School aside, whether you do it or not, seminars and workshops are definitely something you should do. Especially if you don't do school. Things like color theory, foundation matching, and all sorts of other "basics" things which aren't nessicarily as basic as people think they are (or as simplistic and easily passed off as over-taught) are important to have an instincual level of familiarity with. You can't go over them enough.

yea eventually i wanna work at MAC (when i get a car..lol) but thats not the reason i asked about school..im not that interested in SFX..i would love to go to MUD, but i live in TX and i wouldnt know how to go about going there and yea i want a license..i do wanna go to workshops and seminars..my problems are foundation matching and blush applying (yea i know thats a basic, but i dont know how to do that that well)..i definitely wanna learn about airbrushing and couture high fashion makeup as well...i dont have any friends, so i dont get to practice on anyone but myself, so im kind of at a disadvantage when it comes to doing other people's makeup..so i got some things to do before i can go to seminars, workshops, school, and work at MAC..thanks for the input

Tubachick02

when it comes to wanting to learn more about airbrushing and high fashion make-up i would say go to school, eventually. I n the meantime color matching is all practice, try to color match everything and everyone that walks past you, the more you do it the easier it is, do the same with blush, apply to your self, ever friend you have be they male or female, guys that want you to succeed are amazingly paitent, when I was still learning I did an application on my now husband, just make sure to have plenty of baby wipes to get the make-up off.

anaaliyahfan03

i try to get my boyfriend to help me out and he's just like, "NOOOOOO!"...so i just still practice on me but knowing i need to practice on other people...yea im gonna go to makeup school one day when i get some money

NaturalSister19

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaaliyahfan03
yea eventually i wanna work at MAC (when i get a car..lol) but thats not the reason i asked about school..im not that interested in SFX..i would love to go to MUD, but i live in TX and i wouldnt know how to go about going there and yea i want a license..i do wanna go to workshops and seminars..my problems are foundation matching and blush applying (yea i know thats a basic, but i dont know how to do that that well)..i definitely wanna learn about airbrushing and couture high fashion makeup as well...i dont have any friends, so i dont get to practice on anyone but myself, so im kind of at a disadvantage when it comes to doing other people's makeup..so i got some things to do before i can go to seminars, workshops, school, and work at MAC..thanks for the input

You HAVE to step out of your box and find some people to hone your skills on. The pm I sent you tells you how to do that. You can't be afraid to get out there. Are there any hair salons near you? Any bridal salons? Any high schools? Colleges? Any churches? Any spas? Any nightclubs? - offer to do the female bartenders/barmaids?

GET OUT THERE! Sorry for screaming but you have to get out there. I beg to differ that you are at a disadvantage. Being at a disadvantage when is comes to having people to do make-up on is living on a Naval ship out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
smiles.gif

anaaliyahfan03

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalSister19
You HAVE to step out of your box and find some people to hone your skills on. The pm I sent you tells you how to do that. You can't be afraid to get out there. Are there any hair salons near you? Any bridal salons? Any high schools? Colleges? Any churches? Any spas? Any nightclubs? - offer to do the female bartenders/barmaids?

GET OUT THERE! Sorry for screaming but you have to get out there. I beg to differ that you are at a disadvantage. Being at a disadvantage when is comes to having people to do make-up on is living on a Naval ship out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
smiles.gif

wow u put the red on me
weeping.gif
...i understand it all..i am going to get out there..no excuses on my end...i got college and work holding me back at the moment and i NEVER have that much money..i dont have the foundations/powders/concealers to match anyone at all either..whenever i do have left over money then thats i use it on makeup...its just seriously that hard when im at the lowest paying job in the world and i cant get out there right now like ive been wanting to...whats so funny is that i wanted to go to makeup school when i was 18, my parents said no, they told me i had to go to college to make it it life (of course thats a lie)..i didnt have a dime to my name and the makeup schools i wanted to go to i couldnt find fin aid available (the only one i remember is MUD)..so im trying to get through with college so i can get out there..i made the mistake by following my parents dream, but when im done with this, then i can finally follow mine...i just really wanted as muuuuuuch feedback as possible now
smiles.gif

Tubachick02

k, so you don't think you can work ar MAC yet, big deal, put in part time applications at some other brands like Clinique and presriptives, you will have people to practice on and be getting $$$ at the same time.

and as for the "no excuses" thing every time someone comes up with and idea, you give an excuse, so you have plenty of them. If you don't have friends, make some, if your BF is not willing to help then go off on him, if he does not want you to succeed he does not deserve you of care about your happiness

jennzy

i never been to a make up school or anything
but what a lot of the ladies here saying is true. if u don't have trainnings in what you want to do,
1. u won't make much money
2. u won't get hired as a make up artist

and some said they were only taught basics, never went to a make up school. but i've been looking at programs because i want to go. whenever i decide to take a year off. they start off from the basics but u do move on. but to those who said that their make up school ONLY taught them to basics, well they either went to seminars which are only few classes (and then they probably chose the wrong one for their levels) nor they went to a school that's not reputable. come on, think for a whole year ur there they're just going to teach you the basics? i mean i study music at a university level and in first year i was not taught how to read music (which is a basic)

martygreene

Ok, if you wish to work at a salon and/or you wish to be licensed, you need to go to a cosmetology school. MUD, Blasco, and other schools listed in the FAQ to this forum and which people talk about are GREAT resources for the fashion/entertainment industry bound makeup artist, but if you're looking to do bridal work and/or work at a salon, you DO need to go to a state cosmetology school and complete either a cosmetology programme or an aesthetician programme. You'll have to look up your state's requirements (and if you plan to live elsewhere in the future, check up on the reciprocity, not everywhere accepts other state's licenses). In order to work on civilians you DO need to be licensed. Now, some states have exemptions for working retail cosmetic counters, others don't. Most have exemptions for the fashion/entertainment industry.

Beyond that, seminars are a great way to go. If your end-goal is a retail counter though, you don't really need school- no. If your end-goal is a salon, your own freelance business, or fashion/entertainment, then I strongly suggest getting yourself to some seminars and trying to land an assistantship.

martygreene

I'll be honest, you probably won't find the workshops or seminars you need in your area. You're going to have to take a couple little trips. With the discount airlines like jetblue and northwest, you can get to NY, DC, and LA super easily. I tend to stay at hostels (specifically Hostelling International locations) when I travel for seminars. I'm usually only there one or two nights, and I just need somewhere to crash at night so there is no need to spend big bucks on an expensive private hotel room.

Check the FAQ for this forum for more information about seminars which should be helpful.

Hey! I'm from Houston, Tx., too. And yes... the odds of finding a seminar in H-Town are slim to none.
ssad.gif

However, the closest you'll find in the Lone Star State are Dallas and sometimes Austin.

Don't worry... I barely started doing make-up myself, but like someone said... you gotta get out there!
smiles.gif
It's not easy, but once you get in there, you'll be glad you did.
smiles.gif

anaaliyahfan03

oh wow a houstonian...what it do?..hehe..im from dallas and i go there quite often to see the fam so ill see about there...thanks

Hey! I'm from Houston, Tx., too. And yes... the odds of finding a seminar in H-Town are slim to none.
ssad.gif

However, the closest you'll find in the Lone Star State are Dallas and sometimes Austin.

Don't worry... I barely started doing make-up myself, but like someone said... you gotta get out there!
smiles.gif
It's not easy, but once you get in there, you'll be glad you did.
smiles.gif

Latest posts