:::is Makeup School A Waste Of Time:::

anaaliyahfan03

me and my man were reading some articles (cant remember where) but there were some professional artists saying that makeup school was a waste of time and money on people if you already knew how to do makeup pretty good...it just said to practice yourself...i always thought makeup school can perfect in other areas of makeup...now is this true or false?...help me please..thanks in advance
thmbup.gif

thelilprincess

hmmm, i don't believe makeup school only teaches how to apply makeup. i'm pretty sure you learn about sanitation practices, skincare, etc. so even though you may know how to apply makeup, the courses will teach you other important things.

it's almost like saying if i can paint nails, then cosmetology school is a waste of time - i know people who do nails, and they have to learn about sanitation practices in the business.

i mean, some people may know these other important information - but if i'm getting my makeup, nails or hair done, i want it with someone who is not only artistically talented, but who i know for sure is educated in the other realm of the business. just peace of mind for me to know that they know that stuff.

anaaliyahfan03

yea i know it teaches all that..just wondering if i knew all that then would it be a waste to go....i live in the south and i hear the best places to go are new york and los angeles..just trying to hear many opinions...thank u for your input
clap.gif

*Luna*

It will also teach you how to apply make up for different mediums such as Black and White photography, Film, HD so that you are using the proper cosmetics and technique for that particular medium. Sure you can learn those things on your own after a while but do you want to run the risk of screwing up the first time and not geting rehired by that person again? I personally am self taught but will be attending school in just over a week. I feel it will help to perfect my skill and that to me is worth the money.

FacesbyNiki

I agree, I don't believe schools are a waste because they teach you much more than just applying make up. They can also teach you the business/industry and how to get jobs. If you have a chance and the money to go, I say do it.

aeni

There's a great article by Charles Porlier on either issue 61 or 62 of Makeup Artist Magazine that addresses this (all skill levels and which school is right for you if you want to go to one).

ChrisChick

It was a waste of time and $4000. Most real, working artists I know say the same thing. I really wish I hadn't gone.

Usually the people that just want to do occasional prom and wedding makeup love it though for some reason...
hmm.gif

amoona

I never went to a make-up school, I looked into it when I first got out of high school. I graduated early and wanted to do make-up school before going into regular college but make-up schools are WAY too expensive. If you can afford it then go for it. If you can't then try to go to workshops and stuff, you'll get the same knowledge but it'll be cheaper. MAC PRO stores always have great workshops, just last month we had a make-up workshop here about lighting.

It's really a matter of who you are and what you want to do. If you can't afford the expensive tuition then do make-up on the side and learn on your own. See if there's a make-up artist you can work under for a while. You might be working for free but if you do it on the side it'll be cheaper in the long run.

But this is all talk from a broke college student lol.

lara

I won't hire an assistant who hasn't at least done a short formal course.

I don't care how shit-hot you are when it comes to applying make-up; if you can't show me some accreditation that says that you know sanitation practices, safe working practices and basic risk management, then there's no way that I'm going to let you represent me.

My time at MU college was invaluable - it consolidated and reaffirmed my skills, gave me OHS-valid hygiene qualifications and gave the technical skill-set needed for MU for most, if not all different technical situations.

Ella_

Im currently doing a Cert 2 which is one of the shorter courses I think Lara is refering too and in the 2 weeks Ive attended so far I have learnt SOOOO much.

Not just sanitation and hygene practices, but risk assessment, what skin conditions I can safely apply makeup to and which ones I should stay well clear of, basic colour correction, contouring and a whole lot more. Then there is the colour theory which can be complicated, I have an art degree which helps me on that but the colour theory you learn in classes is a HUGE help, not only on understanding how to apply colours so they look good together, but also with camoflauge and concealing again.

If you ever wanted to work as a MUA in another country, say on a working holiday or something, you may find it easier getting work if you have some kind of formal training. In some places you may have to have some kind of certifercation to work as a makeup artist even on a cosmetic counter, and in other places while it may not be a legal requirement it does make getting work a lot easier.

Also, I know a lot of pro MUAs like Lara who wont allow you to assist them without the certifercation. Its tough to break into this industry and you really want to have every edge you can get and formal training helps you get that edge.

In the end its up to you, where do you want to go with this and how much are you willing to sacrifice as far as time and money goes. In the end while you could get away with not going to school, its a good idea to go. Even if you only do the units covering sanitation etc and get a certifercate of attainment for those units. But for me it really is a must.

littlemakeupboy

I didn't go to cosmo school solely for makeup
I went for the whole cosmetology program,I knew some stuff about makeup but not everything
They may just being saying that its a waste because you only learn the basic,but makeup is always changing you really can only learn the basics
If you go for the estition program you learn a little more,skincare,makeup,massages
I think it would benefit you if you want to learn more

iamheartcore

I personally would go. There are a few workshops that are 4 days and cost about $800. And I believe there are some schools that also have financial aid available, through Sallie Mae and other educational loans. There are also a few companies who travel within the U.S., such as Dawn Till Dusk, and offer make-up workshops.

Personally, I've attend the MAC Pro workshops, which Pro members are only allowed to go. If you don't have a membership, you can't even attend. BUT, I think it's a total waste of money and time. I attended a MAC Pro Bridal workshop and knew about 80% of the things they taught. Plus, I'm a "hands on" learner and rather be taught in a hands on environment...but that's just me.

Hope that helps!
smiles.gif

StphVal

In my personal opinion it was a waste of time and money. I went to makeup school and to be honest it was very little what I learned, but this also depends on the person too. They taught me the "basics" which I already knew. So to me it was a waste, I felt completely dissapointed. You might also have to have in mind that every place is different, I've seen schools that offer makeup courses for film/tv etc, etc. I wish I did more research when I enrolled, although they did tell me what they would teach me...they didnt cover everything she said. While explaining everything they were going to "cover" she made it sound very amazing...ehh I shoulda known...BASICS BASICS BASICS! I guess to each their own, just do your research...like I said to me well it wasn't worth it.

Latest posts