Dominican Salons....is Dominican the new black?

aziajs

So, one of the ladies here posted a link to an article about Dominican Salons on her blog. I was intrigued because I have never been to a Dominican salon. The salons I got to are usually white but I have been to Black salons and recently Egyptian salons. I don't know of very many Dominican salons here in Chicago but that may be because there aren't many here in the Midwest. I don't know. Anyway please read on.

Quote:
This may be a foreign topic depending on where you live, but most of the east coast ladies will find this to be a familiar subject. I was introduced to Dominican salons approximately two years ago while in Silver Spring, Maryland. I ventured into Mary's Stylists with no appointment and really no expectations. I left with a head full of bouncy hair and self-confidence. I usually play my own stylist but when I do put my hair in the care of professionals I head primarily to Dominican salons.

So what's the difference between African American salons and Dominican salons?

I was raised in black salons and I have my good stories – and my bad. The one defining difference between the two is how your hair is managed and what you pay at the end of the visit. For example, when I visit traditional black salons I usually get a wash, wrap and bumped curl on my ends. The process is quite simple and my hair is usually treated with products such as Dudley's, Mizani or Paul Mitchell. A heavy oil such as Kemi is applied to my hair at the end to soften the curl and I always get a coat of Finisheen to keep my tresses glossy as I walk out the door. Does this sound familiar?
Now onto the Dominican salon. If you're smart you will arrive early because most have a walk-in policy and we all that Friday and Saturdays are busy. It's like hitting the mall on Black Friday. When you arrive there's a whole process – much like ordering from the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld. You nod at the person behind the front desk to be sure they've acknowledged you, you take a seat and you wait for someone to come by and get you.

You're usually greeted by a person who takes you to the back and sits you down – very little speaking is done. Your hair is washed with products usually with no labels. I've since discovered that some salons use products by Salerm, Lacio Lacio and Alfaparf. Unfortunately, you won't find these labels at your local beauty supply store. Yet, I've managed to find one online store that carries most of their products (click on 'Beauty and Health' then 'Hair Care').

Once you're washed and conditioned then comes the rollerset. This is where it gets tricky. You're usually spoken to for the first time and asked which color rollers you want. I go with the medium size rollers (gray) so that I have some curl to my hair. Once you're rolled up under the hood dryer you go. Depending on the length of your hair you could be under for one hour or nearly two. The heat is so strong and powerful and yet I've sat under the dryer for ninety minutes.

Once you're dry, it's time for the infamous blowout.
The rollers are removed and out comes the round brush and blow dryer. This is the process I've been unable to duplicate at home. The stylist is literally using the roundbrush and the heat from the dryer to straighten your roots and bend your ends. Each section of the hair is treated until your entire head is done. For me, the latter takes approximately twenty minutes and if you're tender-headed I suggest you grab some aspirin. During my visit, I winced in pain every time the dryer came near my scalp but wouldn't you know it I couldn't get over the results once she was done. My hair is usually coarse and rarely holds a curl but she managed to do in one day what I had been trying to do my whole life and I had the nerve to gasp when she said I had to pay $40. The amazing part is that the curls lasted two weeks (yes, I had the nerve to test this) and dare I say it, I didn't wrap my hair not one night.

Here is a link to the article

Real Deal on Dominican Hair Salons - Black Voices Blogs

You can get a list of salons in your area below:
RoundBrushHair! Dominican Salon Locator

MsButterfli

before i went natural i loved gettin my hair done in Dominican salons, they helped in between touch ups cuz they were able to get the roots nice and straight lol..sadly the last time i did go to a regular sister-girl salon, first i tell her the relaxer is burning, (she told me to hold on) then after washing and puttin me under the dryer, she goes to flat iron my hair but dropped the flat iron fresh out the stove on to my neck...needless to say, i left the salon with half a wrap, an icee on my neck a serious attitude and my money still in my wallet...my last relaxer by the way..but if and thats a big IF i was to cut my hair i will definitely let the Dominican ladies work on my hair

KeshieShimmer

I went to one two times. I stopped going because I didn't know what products that they were using. I also had the languague barrier, I don't speak spanish well and they can't speak english. I didn't feel comfortable in a place where I couldn't understand what everyone was saying.

However I will say that my hair had it growth spurt while I went to them but my hair also got thin, I think because the products were too harsh.

Ms. Z

I have gone to the Dominican salons and yeah I have seen them do miracles.
I have seen them make curls on stick straight hair (the clients were Mexican) w/o giving them a perm.
I have curly hair that I can straighten out myself relatively easy, but one time that they did my hair (I was going to a company party) they put some type of gel/serum in my hair (didn't smell very good) and my hair stayed straight although it rained, I was shocked!

There prices are very reasonable, I'm always very good w/tips but I am extra generous w/them. The only thing I don't like about most of the salons is that they don't take appointments so I am there a few hours sometimes (I'm used to being in & out within an hour).

BadBadGirl

Those salons have really blown up in Brooklyn. I have heard of people claiming their salon is a Dominican one just to get customers.

doniad101

We have Dominican salons here in CT. I've gone to one w/ my aunt but didnt get anything done, I just watched. I go to a prodominately black hair salon who've I've been going to since I was in elementary school, lol. But I've heard mixed stories about them. Some people that i've talked to said their hair started to fall out, others said their texture was different. Some love them. But I havent given them a chance. I dont let many people put their hands in my hair b/c firstly I have naturally curly thick hair long hair and not many people can handle that, so I dont jump around, lol. But I guess it goes on experimenting. You should try it if its interesting! I just cant take the heat they seem to be using! lmao.

FacesbyNiki

I've heard they are very good. But I have yet to try one. I've been going to the same stylist for over 10 years and I'm very happy. LOL

MiCHiE

I've heard a lot of good things about them, too. But, I don't know about rolling my hair and then blow drying it. I do, however, roll mine and then flat iron the roots once a week. And, I don't know how the hell she slept without wrapping it. My hair would be a mess.

MACaholic76

I love this thread!
Since I'm half Dominican I'll chime in with my thoughts. Dominicans are HUGE on hair, especially straight hair. It's a cultural thing that gives the appearance of wealth and status. If you are dark skin, yet manage to have straight silky hair, then the better "off" you are. Even better if you are light skinned!
Since I was a little girl I was also taught to tame my curls and my little fro. (ha...if my aunties saw me now they'd die!)
My aunt owns a few hair salons and I have yet to see her or her staff do any type of "natural" hairstyles on ladies with coarse or naturally curly hair. They can straighten the hell out of it though! My sister has ringlets and they made her hair so damn flat I didn't know what kind of machine or products ran through it!
Now, thats not saying that Dominican hair salons are bad...I just know that I, for various reasons, would not go to one who does not understand my "other" Black half self with my curly hair. I wouldnt take my daughter to one either. Her hair is braided and I have yet to find a Dominican hair salon that can braid hair.
So if you are looking for slick straight hair, I bet they'd do a great job! If you are looking to wear and grow your hair more natural I would go elsewhere.

MACMuse

I've been to predominately black salons all my life and just this year I switched over to Dominican Hair Salons. Thus far my experience has been pretty positive. I started growing my perm out in about March of 06 to get my hair back to its naturally wavy state and but still wanted to wear my straight styles occasionally so I paid them a visit. my hair is pretty much the healthiest it has ever been, though this could be a result of my hair being totally unpermed. When i go i make sure i get a deep conditioner and a trim because all the heat from a sit down dryer, a 3500 watt blower dryer, and a flat iron will tear your hair up if you are not careful but tons of growth and good results are possible if you make sure you know what they are doing to your hair. The salon i go to is versatile and offers lot of different simple styles that can be maintained by pin curling at night and I even trusted them to do my color and it came out great. Plus the prices are greats and i'm in and out in an hour and a half top (whereas i'd spend 5 to 6 hours in a black salon) But you have to do a good search, you can't just run into any salon Dominican just as you can't just go with any black salon. If you can find one with a good reputation then I suggest anyone who wants to try something different to give it a whirl.

For anybody in the MD area check out Luisa's in Silver Spring or The Dominican Beauty Center in Baltimore. They're off the hook!

s0o_r0qish

Yea here in baltimore the Domonican Salon are very popular...actually a couple of my homegirls go to them to get their hair done.As fro me, i feel like it is kinda stupid to go to someone to get a wrap done, maybe because im soo use to doing my own wraps.Is it anything else that they do besides wraps?

L281173

I prefer to patronize my own people. I am African-American. I find that the Dominican Salons apply to much heat to the hair. The African-American salons put more of an emphasis on the ideal of caring for the hair and they use upscale products where the Dominican salons normally do not.

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by L281173
I prefer to patronize my own people. I am African-American. I find that the Dominican Salons apply to much heat to the hair. The African-American salons put more of an emphasis on the ideal of caring for the hair and they use upscale products where the Dominican salons normally do not.

I completely agree! Thats exactly what I was trying to get at!

slvrlips

I currently toggle between Luisa's in Silver Spring and a black salon (MiToni).
Both use quality products (I ask what's being used and then I google the products)and both maintain my hair to my satisfaction.
As far as patronizing your own people. I feel that each person should patronize whoever can achieve your hair styling requirements, no matter the race.

Both my salons charge the same 35.00 for a roller wrap and both get me in and out in less than 2 hours.
So I guess it all just depends on your needs, likes & dislikes

Twinkle_Twinkle

I'd be weary of using excessive heat on relaxed hair. It's a reciepe for disaster. Heat damages hair and chemicals damage hair, so when you put the two together....

I wear my hair naturally, so I only visit salons for color treatments, and I plan to go to an Aveda salon for my next one.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACMuse
my hair is pretty much the healthiest it has ever been, though this could be a result of my hair being totally unpermed. When i go i make sure i get a deep conditioner and a trim because all the heat from a sit down dryer, a 3500 watt blower dryer, and a flat iron will tear your hair up if you are not careful but tons of growth and good results are possible if you make sure you know what they are doing to your hair.

That's probably the case as far as the bolded is concerned. Also, esp. becasue you are going to be wearing your hair naturally, you should know that high blow drying temperatures and flat irons can permenantly change your curl pattern. Heat can literarly scorch the hair, hense the bad smell in hair salons. I've seen it with a lot of people, including family members, who have limp, droopy, and scragly curls and coils. I'm not trying to discourage your hair style choices, just trying to let you know what could happen, and sorry if this is redundant.

MACaholic76

I got my hair permed ONCE and NEVER again. My curls were gone and it took me years to get the healthy, ringlet look back!!! It was just like what Twinkle Twinkle described! I hated it!

Latest posts