Working for Ulta

BloodMittens

I was wondering if anyone here has ever worked for Ulta. I plan on leaving my job at Victoria's Secret for this job at the present time, until I can start steady with MAC, and then I plan on leaving Ulta. But I don't know how long it's going to take them to set me up full time, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me an average salary for a sales associate at Ulta, and maybe even the perks, if any?

Thanks
greengrin.gif

(PS: I searched the forums, but I couldn't find anything on Ulta perks or salaries) <3

beauty_marked

I had a friend who recently started working there (well like since october). Her pay is more than where we worked together...close to $10 i believe (its NY and age may make a diff). She said that twice a year they get this 30 or 40% discount on all the salon products.

I dont know what theyre general discount is.
hoped that helped some.

Loveleighe

The employees at the ulta near me make $9. I was considering applying there but i then i was told to not waste my time bcus unless i planned to work in the salon it would be a joke. I heard (from 3 former employees) that it's a terrible job. I don't know if this is just in my area or ulta in general i didn't really care to clarify just didn't put in my app. If you are working for MAC are you allowed to work at ULTA?

BEA2LS

i'm thinking about trying for ulta.. it just idk. it's not my favorite.. i like sephora better but the nearest one is too far to work at.. (not bad for shopping once a month or so though).. ulta always seems to me like a pretty drug store.. (don't get me wrong, i'm known to get some great stuff at cvs or wal mart) i know they do sell some high end stuff but it's not the same to me as going somewhere else. i love their fragerence though.
yes.gif

baybehbekah

i was offered a position at ulta and they offered me $8 bucks an hour which was a serious joke in my opinion. i didnt take it and i am glad i didnt. i know ulta is great for an after school job, or college student, because they tend to be very flexible. its also not a bad way to get to know alot of different products or lines. they carry alot of stuff, like smashbox, stilla, bare minerals, vincent longo, lola, & alot of different skin care lines. another good plus is that all the different lines have people come in and train on the product, which is a good way to learn and to network! ulta has its pro's and con's just like anything else and if works for you it could be a great opportunity!
smiles.gif

tomodachi_usagi

i worked at ulta for about a year and as baybehbekah said its great for students but i wouldnt make a career out of it. ive learned alot from the company but they've screwed me over in so many ways that i dont know why i stayed so long. the pay is not worth wat you have to put up with. havent you guys noticed that in many of the ulta stores you go in your not greeted or the girls look irritated? i know its a job and your supposed to be professional but i feel bad for them cuz i know why their pissed off. all in all i wouldnt recommend ulta if your not a beginner in cosmetics and not patient.

Sikfrmthemirror

I have an interview with ulta today at 2:30 and im really nervous very nervous, but last night i went to sleep thinking i would get it and that it was a really good idea for me to work there.

ahhhh. so nervous haha.

MAC*GIRL08

$19 and hr????? did you mean $9 ? I know the Ulta near me here in PA is nice but if makeup artistry is your bag - your better off getting a job at a cosmetics counter in a dept store, I worked for Lancome for a little while. You definitely get more expereince working one on one with a customer/client in helping them to choose a look they want, plus you earn commission too on your sales. I know Ulta pays btw $8-$10 an hour, I don't believe there is commission, and I believe most Ulta's have a salon, to me, it is a salon with a huge store attached. Of course MAC is the cream of the crop when it comes makeup artistry. They also do not offer commission on sales since they pay so well. I have heard that the pay is based on how well the counter does. Does anyone know how true that is???? Also i have heard that MAC MA's make anywhere from $14-$16 an hour is that also true??

revoltofagirl

hey, bumping this thread because I have an interview with ulta
in two weeks. it's good to know they're flexible with hours since I'll be a college student. I really only want to work part-time and I don't have much makeup experience (other than stage makeup since I'm an actress). does anyone else want to share their working-at-ulta experiences? I'd love to hear them! I've heard that they don't mind piercings (I have my lip pierced) but I'm still considering going to the interview without my lipring in, just to be safe. should I do natural makeup or a more daring look??

also if anyone knows what the interview is like, what sort of questions they ask, etc... that'd be really helpful!

deven.marie

i've been working at ulta for about 8 months now, and so far i really like it. It has its cons as any retail job does, but it sure beats working at the mall. (which i did for 3 years). Starting off as a beauty consultant the salary is about $9 an hr, im sure it varies state to state. we are not paid on commission.

revoltofagirl, during MY interview they asked me alot of questions based on prior retail experience. such as "describe a situation when a customer became upset, and tell me how you handled it?" things like that. But that may have just been because I had a lot of retail experience. also they asked "are you a customer of ulta? what are your likes and dislikes about shopping here? What could you do as an employee to improve the shopping experience for other guests?" annd of course all the regular questions like, "why do you want to work for ulta?"

hope that helped! and feel free to ask me anything else

chocolategoddes

How young does Ulta hire?
I'm willing to apply there (closest one is 30mins away, though) for the exerience but just from this thread, i don't know how to feel.

mslips

I've been working for Ulta since march 07 and it's pretty cool. I work as a prestige consultant which is basically doing makeup with high end brands, selling, more responsibilities, etc. Our number 1 selling brand is bare escentuals, which i love very much. I get trained on that brand so much its ridiculous!

Anyways, chocolategoddess, you have to be 18 and they really take the people who have a hs diploma.

The interview i had was very cool, my hiring manager is Tonya, and she's a very laid back, cool, but very direct manager. She asked me q's like my past job experiences and what i did there and why i would be good for the prestige dept. Also q's like deven's. I really mainly talked about my past jobs and she asked my strengths and weaknesses about my past job.

Honestly, you don't have to be good at makeup to work there, mainly for prestige, but we also have those who work on the task team which is basically stocking and doing ad sets and taking care of shipments. There's also a regular beauty consultant which is being on the sales floor, not prestige but all over the store helping customers and doing all around tasks. There's also cashier, which you mainly work on register. there's also salon, but of course you need a cosmetology license for that.

I'm in Prestige mainly, but i do jump on the register from time to time, do task (everyone does on weds our shipment day), sales floor and fragrance (which is constantly needing someone there because it is the area people shoplift the most) If you want to work for Ulta, expect to be busy at all times and thrown around because there's always something to do, whether it'd be deep cleaning when it's dead or just helping customers.

The cons are the hours...you never know what you get. right now for me they are crap. Also about the lip piercing, you are fine. You can only have one facial piercing though. One girl i work with has a monroe, another has a nose piercing. The rule about the ears is bull, i have more than what they want but they dont complain. The rule is no more than 2 on ea ear.

Revolt - which ulta are you applying to? i work at the one on harlem and irving. i see you live in chicago.

Good luck!

aimerbijoux

Aw I work for Ulta! Well I start school again so I had to leave until I come back for the winter. But my interview was very laid back. My GM was awesome she interviewed me as if we were just friends.

My Qs were like, whats your favorite makeup brand? Why do you want to work for us? What can you do for us? How would you handle a rude customer? How would you handle a shoplifter? What if a customer was looking for a foundation but had a rosacea/etc?

revoltofagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslips
You can only have one facial piercing though. One girl i work with has a monroe, another has a nose piercing.

Revolt - which ulta are you applying to? i work at the one on harlem and irving. i see you live in chicago.

aw, I wanted to get my nose pierced sometime soon. hmm. I could always take my lipring out (since it's fully healed) if I do decide to get it done, and then switch out my piercings once the nose healed so I only have one at a time. haha.
smiles.gif

I applied to the one at N. Clybourn Ave since it was closest to my apt. I'm actually applying to a lot of different places and just seeing which would be the best fit (most flexible with my schedule and decent pay, basically)... I know I'm going to need quite a bit of time of for rehearsal and performances so on certain weeks I wouldn't be able to work much... but the rest of the time I could work whenever I don't have class.

I think I should do fine on the interview so long as I don't get nervous
smiles.gif
I have 3 years retail experience and 2 years of that was as an assistant manager. I think I applied for a cashier position but I wouldn't mind being on the sales floor, either.

thanks everyone for the replies!

revoltofagirl

hi I just wanted to update eveyone... I got the job! I found out today and I go in tomorrow to fill in paperwork at such. not sure how many hours I will be working but I'm just excited to have a job
smiles.gif
thanks to everyone who shared their experiences!

corngirl21

I have an interview for a key-holder position at Ulta next week. Do key-holders generally make more than regular consultants? Anyone know the average pay for key-holders? Is it a good company overall to work for? Do they offer any type of insurance at all? What's the interview process like?
Any help would be appreciated!
THANKS!

Latest posts