MAC Guidelines for Product Sanitation?

LilSphinx

Re: Mac Guidelines for Product Sanitation?

I agree, this is incredibly informative!
smiles.gif
I have a question, though...I have heard of some people using an alcohol/water mixture which they spray onto their pressed powders to sanitize them. This interests me.
-how many parts water vs. alcohol does this require...or rather, how watered down should the alcohol be?

And, a big concern of mine...does this technique degrade pressed powders over time? I realize that the alcohol would evaporate, but any water left behind might still be an issue, right?

Further, does this technique also work on mineral pigments?

I had heard that Enkore on YouTube had mentioned this technique in one of his videos, but I can't for the life of me find it. If anyone has a link to that particular video, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
smiles.gif

kayley123

Wow...this is incredibly informative. I didn't realize there was so much work put into how MAs do their jobs, sanitizing and stuff. I appreciate the MAs a lot more after reading this thread!

boudoirblonde

Can someone explain to me the process dipping lipsticks in alcohol?
Like, do they give you a beaker of alcohol? Do you re-use this beaker? Or do you need new alcohol each time?

Hennys

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudoirblonde
Can someone explain to me the process dipping lipsticks in alcohol?
Like, do they give you a beaker of alcohol? Do you re-use this beaker? Or do you need new alcohol each time?

If you are talking about MAC, there are several small beakers that are usually sitting on the counters that have a little alcohol in them. You would use the same alcohol all day long. The beakers are filled in the morning and then the alcohol is discarded at night.
You just dip the lipstick or pencil, while holding it upside down, and then wipe with a tissue.

Hope that helps.
smiles.gif

boudoirblonde

So, I have a Demo interview at MAC coming up, how should I apply eye cream? Do I need to apply an eye cream? Which brush should I use?

Rosie137

I'M going to the job fair on wednesday and have a few questions.If i use a brush for concealer and want to re use the same brush for an eyeshadow do i need to use the brush cleaner to wipe it off? or am i supposed to use a different brush? And, I only have a 188 brush that i use for my moisturetint, should i have a flat foundation brush when i go for creams or anything? Cause they said to bring my own brushes

Chrystia

You don't need to wipe a brush with cleaner if you are using it on the same person. So you should be fine for that.

As far as other brushes go. Try to bring a variety of brushes so you can be ready for any situation. But its completely up to you what you bring. Just make sure you are confident you can complete a full face of makeup with whatever brushes you have.

HMC

So we are not allowed to touch their face at all? I tend to place my pinky on their check while doing the eye shadow application to stabilize my hand...am I doing it wrong?

Lol no, you are totally allowed to touch the client's face. That's why you sanitize your hands in the first place :)

RandomnessWithK

This thread (and site) is extremely helpful!

I just came back from a MAC Job fair this morning and was invited back for a 2nd interview (the demo application) This Wednesday in El Segundo, CA .. I was told to bring my own model and my own brushes.

So my question's are:

- since i'll be bringing my own brushes - do they have to be ALL MAC?
- And I don't have a brush belt, but rather one of those sigma travel cups - is it okay to use that to set my brushes in or how should I go about this?!
- since it's been asked above but not answered yet - If you are going to use say the 252 brush on an eyeshadow (that you wipe of with a tissue of course) use it on the model and then you want to use the same brush but a different color, do you just wipe the brush off or do you have to take the brush cleaner?
- also, when we have to gather our items, would you suggest I also get mascara wands and the applicators for lipstick/lipglass etc?
- before getting any of the makeup, can you ask your model if they prefer liquid/powder foundation? or just get whatever?

Thank you in advanced! I am really hoping someone can answer these questions as my demo is in 2 days! OMG! :) I'm SO excited more than anything! LOL

mrs3makeup

I find it crazy that you have to supply your own brushes, or let alone didn't inform you of these specifications you are questioning. my interview process was short and simple. One verbal, and one makeup demo. (Where i did provide my own model), although it was a group interview we did trade models, to understand different personalities and preferences. My model had a baby in her lap the whole time tugging and pulling on her face and the products. But i will inform was completely adorable. I rocked it, she loved her makeup and despite of my distractions I had the only model who liked her makeup. I am self taught and as a freelancer I am not completely aware of the sanitation regulations but have been persisting in my research to inform myself, because I have found it to be the most beneficial to keeping informed on your own time, and regularly asking questions and practicing at home etc. Although I was denied the position, I have kept my search persistent and am in the process of applying for Sephora and it has been nothing less than informative and beneficial as far as training regulations goes. They are always by my side answering any questions I may have. Wonderful company indeed!

good luck!

Latest posts