NARS and animal testing?

chameleonmary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuipo
... Cearasil... continue to animal test.

(Nothing directed at Kuuipo) grrr... do animals get acne? Stop testing on them!

Companies can test an experimental anti-depressant on a person but not an acne cream!
angry.gif

chameleonmary

Can anyone please kindly guide me to a list of cruelty-free cosmetics? I feel inclined to throw out anything that is tested on animals now
ssad.gif

Love Always Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitternmyveins
But there are company's who will say they do not test on animals. But they are reffering to the 'finished product'.

Bath and Body Works products say this. "Finished product not tested on animals". concerns me.

Quote:
Honstly, I am sorry the Body Shop was taken by L'Oreal. They used to be owned by a very eco conservative British group! I have participated in their HIV/AIDS fundraisers, etc. In the past, they have been quite humanitarian.

It sucks that this was the last major business decision that Anita Roddick did before she passed away recently. I work for TBS and from what i heard, she knew she was dying (she had Hepatits) and the company wanted to improve their makeup line and get their name out as a makeup brand, but the backlash against Loreal ended up hurting the brand as a whole. But TBS still maintains its integrity and does not animal test and is working its way to be completely vegan and eco friendly - even the new plastic bags we got in are recycled. I see the numbers for the nation in reports we get quarterly and yearly and the protest against the store is definetly making an impact. my store personally is YTD down 50 grand, so imagine what it is worldwide.

Quote:
I am not sure about Merle Norman, MUFE, Laura Mercier, Smashbox or Becca.

Smashbox is cruelty free!
MUFE is listed as unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleonmary
(Nothing directed at Kuuipo) grrr... do animals get acne? Stop testing on them! Companies can test an experimental anti-depressant on a person but not an acne cream!
angry.gif

they test whether certain chemicals can cause adverse skin reactions, development of tumors, ect ect.

Beauty Mark

They test so many things on animals, like how harmful a chemical is, for instance. It's not all if it works.

I recognize animal testing is useful for some things, a lot of it is dumb honestly.

If you're looking at what companies test and which don't, PETA has a decent list up.

Kuuipo

I'm not personally for animal testing. The last 17 years I had a cat I smuggled out of a lab (he was a rabies bait test cat, and he had lots of tattoos and wounds) and spent a fortune on his private medical care.....but for some things, animal testing has prevented blindness in humans from all the hair dyes they like to use. While animals do not get acne, they do get irritation. What I really object to is the cruelty they are subjected to needlessly . Does are often "debarked". They use beagles alot! We are a society that eats animals neatly packaged at McDonalds and wears leather pumps (ok, I do not do either) and doesn't know that chickens are crowded together in pens,debeaked,fed a horrid combination of waste material sprayed with antibiotics and hormones only to die six weeks later and be marketed as poultry in the grocery store. Many Americans feel ignorance is bliss and they do not want to know that their jello has dead animal products, or their shampoo has placenta in it......I may not eat animals or wear animals, but most Americans choose to do so. It would be nice to know what products are both vegan and cruelty free, or rigorously tested.....

PETA does maintain a list of cruelty free products, and Vegetarian Times frequently publishes lists as well.

The best thing to do when you are considering buying products is to call the company's customer care line directly. It is often found on the company's website.

Or shop at a reputable market like WHole Foods. Often their department buyers know quite a bit about their products.

Some companies, like Yes To Carrots-are very happy to tell you their sources for ingrediants.

It's difficult today with all the takeovers and umbrella companies....some small divisions allow tested products, some do not.

Beauty Mark

I think if some people saw the ways in which animals for meat are kept, they'd be pretty repulsed. I saw some photos (this was in Rolling Stone) of how pigs from some farm were kept. Even if you hate animals, the idea of all those animals crammed ass to face is nasty. You're eating that! It can't be good for the animal, so it certainly can't be good for you.

But I digress. If you are going the cruelty-free way of life with cosmetics, I would also write companies to let them know why you're not buying from them. There are a myriad of reasons why I might not buy Lancome, for instance, and none of them would be related to animal testing

Love Always Ivy

i also forgot to mention that Francios Nars himself is a vegan, so i highly doubt he would attatch his name to a line that animal test, however NARS was taken over by Shisheido making this a TBS-LOreal type situation.

Beauty Mark

Does he himself have much control over the line? I know his name is attached to it, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time someone's name is affiliated with a company and they want nothing to do with it

kensbarbie1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
Does he himself have much control over the line? I know his name is attached to it, but it certainly wouldn't be the first time someone's name is affiliated with a company and they want nothing to do with it

Yes!! He works with shiseido everyday. THey really can't do much without his consent. Hes stilll very very very much involved

tiramisu

Don't forget (and I am not advocating anything here, please don't misunderstand me) that as a previous poster said, these companies who claim to be cruelty free are referring to their specific "finished product". I just find it kind of hypocritical.
They use ingredients that someone else tested on animals to verify that they were safe for human use. Basically passing the buck on someone else and making their own company look stellar.

At the very least, you can be assurred when a company says they don't test on animals, that they haven't continued with the cruelty of animal testing, but the efficacy and safety of a product was completed.. hence, the damage was done somewhere along the line.

Just food for thought.

amandaelizabeth

I know this thread is old, but if you go on NARS website, it specifically states now that they don't test and have never tested on animals
smiles.gif

NARS Customer Care

Right at the bottom
smiles.gif
I'm so glad I saw that, now I can guilt free splurge
winks.gif

laissezfaire

NARS may not test on animals but it is owned by Shiseido who do still test on animals. At the end of the day, it is Shiseido reaping the profits from the sales of NARS. Follow the money trail. . . . . . .

katred

Specktra Bestie
Can anyone please kindly guide me to a list of cruelty-free cosmetics? I feel inclined to throw out anything that is tested on animals now
ssad.gif

Here you go: http://www.globalanimal.org/2010/12/06/companies-that-dont-test-on-animals-resource/26156/

It should be noted that some companies are not on this list but are still not guilty of testing on animals. It has to do with whether or not they respond to PETA's specific questions. For example, French company Yves Rocher is not on the list, but they have not done animal testing on finished products or ingredients since 1989 (ten years before the ban on finished product testing in Europe). Many of their products are organic and/ or vegan. It's always best to write a nice note to the customer service department of a company you wish to purchase from and ask. It also helps if you add that you do not wish to patronise companies that do test on animals, since that is tantamount to showing them that you vote with your wallet on the issue.

Here's a pretty clear statement from NARS' web site on the issue (at the end):

http://www.narscosmetics.com/customer_home.aspx

It's interesting to note that both Chanel and Dior have pretty clear statements on their cosmetics that they do not test on animals either. Neither company would ever make it onto a cruelty-free list, because other branches of their companies work with animal products. Whether or not you want to patronise these companies. As with many things, people draw the line in different places. HTH!

Mabelle

ve e-mailed a few companies par arpport a if they test or not. This is what they say

Stila: Last i spoke to the rep, she said they didnt... but im emailing them right now.

Lorac says on their website: LORAC does not conduct, condone nor endorse testing on animals.

Benefit: I just e-mailed to ask about ingridients.

Makeup forever send me an e-mailing saying they DO NOT test along with a PDF saying;
In 1989, the Perfumes and Cosmetics brands decided to ban animal testing on all products marketed; the Group uses and develops alternative methods in its laboratories and provides financial and technical support for the SCAAT [Steering Committee in Alternatives to Animal testing] program developed by the European cosmetics industry. The LVMH laboratories are the leaders in allergy research.

The rest of the PDF is about trying to be green.

NARS: NARS and Animal Testing:
NARS Cosmetics does not and never has conducted any animal testing of any kind. Thank you.

Bare Escentuals said this: Please feel at ease with using Bare Escentuals products. We do not test any products on animals. We also do not work with any manufacturers that do animal testing. (YAY!)

I know they also donate to a bunch of chairties, one of them being one for stray dogs i believe.

Fusion Beauty; I just e-mailed them. I think i remember being told they do not test, but with Kim Kardashians smug face all over their marketing, i feel the need to email them

Sephora Brand (ie Tarina Tarantino, Kat Von D, Toki Doki, Hello Kitty) They are part of LVMH, so i asusme they are in the same boat as mufe, however i could not find any info on if they test or not. I cant email them...

Tarte: Cruelty free bunny man on the website!

Hourglass: 100% curelty free, in fact, a lot of their products are vegan.

Smashbox: cruelty free bunny man!!

Too faced: Cruelty free bunny man :) They say : No way! Too Faced loves animals (check out our Too Faced gives Back page). Our products are cruelty-free. In fact, our brushes are made with the softest and gentlest teddy-bear hair.

Laura Mercier Says: We do not, nor have we ever, tested our products on animals. We also do not contract outside companies to test on animals for us.

Korres Skin/Beauty: It says clearly on all of korres products no animal by products and not tested on animals

Josee Maran: it says clearly on all the product cruelty free

Clinique skin/Beauty Says: Clinique Laboratories, LLC. is committed to the elimination of animal testing. We are equally committed to consumer health and safety, and bringing to market products that comply with applicable regulations in every country in which our products are sold.
We do not conduct animal testing on our products or ingredients, nor ask others to test on our behalf, except when required by law. We evaluate our finished products in clinical tests on volunteer panels.
Clinique Laboratories, LLC. fully supports the development and global acceptance of non-animal testing alternatives. To this end, the Company works extensively with the industry at large and the global scientific community to research and fund these alternatives.
Fresh Beauty and Skincare Says: Fresh does not test any of our products on animals.
Philisophy: On testing:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]we absolutely do not conduct animal testing with philosophy products. we are fully committed to using alternatives to animal testing to ensure the safety of our products.[/FONT]

About Animal Derived ingridients: for your reference, our product development team has confirmed that the only philosophy products containing ingredients derived from animals are as follows: pure grace shower cream (contains hydrolyzed milk protein), amazing grace shampoo, bath & shower gel (contains hydrolyzed milk protein) and kiss me lip balms (contain lanolin). all other philosophy products contain ingredients that are of botanical or synthetic origin.
Murad: Protecting animals by testing products on people, by using ingredients that have not been animal tested and by
supporting and sponsoring animal rescue groups and oceanographic teaching institutions.
B Kamins: found no information
DDF Is owned by Proctor And Gamble (skkketch) but says the following: P&G has ended research involving animals on all our finished consumer products except when required by law. We use non-animal alternatives first. We'll only use animal testing when there are no other reasonable options.
In our Healthcare business, we're focused on developing innovative medicines that improve people's lives. Current regulatory standards require animal research while developing these medications. It's our policy to use the minimum number of animals necessary while working toward our goal of the reduction and replacement of animals. We continue to identify screening techniques that are acceptable to global regulatory groups to take the place of animal tests in the earliest phase of drug discovery.

Through our pet care and nutrition products, we help dogs and cats live longer, healthier lives. We feed our foods first to dogs and cats to help us develop nutrition that delivers true health benefits to millions of pets worldwide. We make sure the dogs and cats we work with receive the best care. We treat them as if they're our own pets. They are adopted into loving homes or placed in our retirement facility when their help is no longer needed. At the same time, we're working hard on alternatives to find even better ways of getting these results and eliminating the need for additional research with other animals.

We'd rather use alternative test methods. Not only is the use of animals avoided, but reliable alternative tests generally cost less and take less time than animal research. We'd like to be able to eliminate animal research on ingredients in consumer products altogether, and we're making progress. We've invested over $190 million in alternatives, making us an industry leader. We've helped develop over 50 alternative methods and have shared our work in over 300 scientific publications. We're also working with the FDA and respected animal welfare groups, such as the Humane Society of the United States, to work on reforming regulations and validating alternative methods. To learn more, check out our website at http://www.pg.com/en_US/sustainability/point_of_view/animal_welfare.shtml
So that's our 1st yes, as convoluted as it was.

I have to go right now, but im going to continue to email every single brand the sephora i work at carries. yes, including skincare! Hope it helps

Mabelle

I just got an e-mail back from Benefit. They said the following

Hello Heather,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding this very important issue.

Benefit Cosmetics does not perform or allow animal testing on bulk or finished products. In addition, Benefit Cosmetics does not request that its product manufacturers test on animals. However, we do not make any claims to be vegan. We try to formulate all products without animal derived materials--however, since there may be elements or trace elements of animal derived materials somewhere in the chain of materials used, we cannot say that our products do not contain any animal derived ingredients/materials, as we cannot guarantee this 100% throughout all products as a blanket statement.

In conformity with European rules, tests on ingredients are not done on animals when other methods exist to ensure the safety of those ingredients. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Thanks for your interest in this matter and for shopping with Benefit Cosmetics.
Continuing with other lines

DrBrandt says dr. brandt skincare is proud to say that we do not engage in animal testing or use animal derived ingredients in our products. As a cruelty-free-oriented organization, this is certainly one of our main commitments. At the time we choose our ingredients, we obtain all of the testing methodology to ensure that our suppliers provide us only with ingredients that are tested in vivo and in vitro. These facilities have a staff R&D of chemists whose main role is to develop products using these ingredients for testing, and then measuring results by high tech machinery, never on animals.
Dr. Brandt is an animal lover and annual contributor to the Humane Society.
He has three dogs he absolutely adores.

I just e-mailed Shiseido.

I just e-mailed Bliss.

I just e-mailed Clarins

I just emailed caudalie

I just e-mailed Peter Thomas Roth

Clean Start (Dermalogica) says Clean Start was never tested on animals – because it’s just not nice and it’s not something we believe in.

Ole Henriksen says: We never test our products on animals. We believe that all living things should be treated humanely.

Boscia says: We do not conduct any testing of ingredients or products on animals. In addition, our products do not contain any animal ingredients

Skyn Iceland is 100% cruelty free and Vegan (bunny man on th website!)

Just emailed Living proof

Just emailed ojon

Cake Said the following: We absolutely DO NOT conduct animal testing with Cake Beauty products. We use only ingredients that have been deemed safe by Health Canada & FDA regulations and are fully committed to testing on “beauty junkies” only to ensure the safety of our products.

I think thats about every line in my store...

katred

Specktra Bestie
Thank you so much Mabelle! This is excellent research and I really appreciate you taking the time to do it.

Mabelle

No Problem at all. I know i dont like to buy anything that is tested on animals, and many people feel the same way (or at least i hope they do). I work at a Sephora (in pointe claire) and we get a lot of customers that are asking out testing. While i knew taht most companies didnt test, because they dont specifically SAY not tested on animals, they dont want to take a chance, which i understand. So i'm doing these e-mails mostly for those customers. It's nice to see their actual words, not just have to take a strangers (my) word.

Here's some more emails i got back.

PETER THOMAS ROTH

Hello Heather,

Thank you for your inquiry and interest in Peter Thomas Roth Clinical Skin Care. Peter Thomas Roth is animal cruelty free. We manufacture all of our products in PTR owned labs and do not test on animals.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

CAUDALIE

Dear Heather,

Thank you for your interest in Caudalie and for our “Cosm-ethic”.

Caudalie does not test its ingredients on animals. We belong to Peta’s programm against cruelty and also to One Voice Association very well known for its commitment in animal’s protection. To learn more about our values, please clicK here: http://www.caudalie.com/en/cosm-ethics.html

LIVING PROOF

Hi Heather,

Thanks so much for the e-mail, and for the interest in our product line! We really appreciate it.

We do test on animals, no.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

SHISEIDO

Shiseido has not tested its end products of cosmetics on animals in Canada. Shiseido's mission is to provide safe and effective products to consumers, complying with the cosmetics regulations in force, understanding and respecting the principles behind animal protection. We appreciate your inquiry and understanding.

Whats up with that? Tricksy wording, i thought they were a "big bad"?

katred

Specktra Bestie
Thanks again... Side note- I didn't know there was a Sephora in Pointe Claire. Is it in the Fairview Centre?

WhatWouldJoanDo

almost all companies don't ever need to test anymore. all of the individual ingredients have been previously tested long ago and they just use the information. somewhere along the line an animal did come into play for today's knowledge ... I think I'll go hug my dog now and think of my pet bunnies from yester years; and enjoy my safe makeup and appreciate their fellow comrades non-volenteered past sacrifice.

Latest posts