My quad smells like smoke!

eastsidesunset

I bought a quad and shadow through a livejournal community, and they both reek of smoke. I thought at first it may have been the plastic, but it's been cleaned with alcohol (as well as a quick swipe on the shadows) to get rid of the smell, but nothing's worked! I emailed the seller, but haven't gotten a response. Nowhere on the sale did it say anything about coming from a smoking household. I wish I had known, because I'm pretty allergic to smoke.

Is there anyway to get rid of the smell on powder products? Or am I just screwed? Too bad, I really wanted these items.

jenii

I don't know that there's anything you can do. I guess you've just gotta contact the seller, ask if they'll accept the quads back, then send them back for a refund.

I don't know of any way to get germs OR smells out of a powder product.

Twinkle_Twinkle

I swapped for a blush once that smelled like smoke. First I wiped down the pot with alcohol. Then I sprayed perfume on a cotton ball and wiped down the pot again. Then I just left the pot open with a paper towel over it for a day or two. By then the smell had significantly faded, and now it's gone. HTH

aeni

I wouldn't suggest putting perfume on a product, but baking soda ain't just for the fridge! It absorbs bad smells.

Try this overnight maybe:
Put a piece of tissue over the shadows and do a generous sprinkle of baking soda over it. Close the lid or put this in another box/tupperware, whatever and close that. That could help besides alcohol.

Now professionally, I'd toss it b/c someone smoked all over that product. Or just ask for a refund.

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeni
I wouldn't suggest putting perfume on a product, but baking soda ain't just for the fridge! It absorbs bad smells.

Put a piece of tissue over the shadows and do a generous sprinkle of baking soda over it. Close the lid or put this in another box/tupperware, whatever and close that. That could help besides alcohol.

Now professionally, I'd toss it b/c someone smoked all over that product. Or just ask for a refund.

I didn't put the perfume on the product, just the plastic compact, aka the pot.

msmack

Quote:

This is probably the best thing to do... your genius!!! ^^^

eastsidesunset

Quote:

I tried letting it air out, and thought about trying the baking soda suggestion, but honestly, I'm not going to bother. I asked for a refund (as well as emailed the seller last night about the problem), and haven't gotten a response. It would be nice to know something like this before, and I wish I had asked or that the seller had just put the information out there.

So now I'm sad because I really wanted the quad, but I'd rather get a refund then have an allergic reaction.

tiramisu

sounds like someone chain smokes while they apply their m/u. Eww (sorry to any smokers)

well, I hope she responds. Otherwise, what have you got to lose by trying the baking soda idea?

Latest posts