Luminess Air at home airbrush makeup?

Dreamergirl3

Tried a search, but found nothing
ssad.gif
Has anyone seen the infomercial for Luminess Air? The website is luminessair.com and it is an at-home airbrush makeup kit. The infomercial was pretty campy, but I'm curious about this product since the price is $200USD. Thinking of putting it on the Xmas list, but do you think it'd be a pretty cheap quality product? I mean, it IS an infomercial, but the price and what's in the kit intrigues me.
What do you all think? Have any of you heard of or used this product before?

Krasevayadancer

I have never heard of this product but i think you can probably get the same effect from something like dior skin flash airbrush foundation. Less bulk and a beautifully airbrushed look! At $60 its cheaper too

PrettyWicked

I received my Luminess Air system last week and I am so in love with it. At first, I was not sure what to expect. I saw an informercial with the head makeup artist for Disney, Ve Neills, I don't know if you know her but she is Keira Knightley's makeup artist in Pirates of the Caribbean. I saw Ve at the makeup show in Pasadena and know of her, she is like the best makeup artist in the country! She has like 5-6 Academy awards for makeup. Google Image Result for http://www.filmfestivals.com/images/tiff2005galery/images/Keira%20Knightley%20at%20the%20Pride%20and%20Preju dice%20%20gala.jpg
Keira is so pretty!

But I first thought that Luminess Air was going to be like the spray can foundation. Oh-No, no, Luminess Air is just amazing. They sent me like 7-8 samples including many shades of foundation. I found a shade that was close and when I sprayed it, like something weird happened, it sprayed out matching my skin, like 100% exact! I was so shocked. I don't know how it works but it is so cool.

Then I was going out the other night and I placed a few drops of bronzer with my foundations and sprayed it together. And now this was hot! Then I got to playing with the Airbrush and I first sprayed on my blush and then added my foundation to the airbrush and then did my foundation. Not only did I look amazing, but you can't do this type of makeup any other way.

Then I took it to my friend Shiela, she is a real life makeup artist and she was floored to she it. She has one of these Jumbo Junky airbrushes from Temptu and she could not believe that this system was in a little makeup clutch and that it actually was easier to use than the airbrush that she paid like 2000 for.

The Dior spray can makeup does not spray with the precision of an airbrush. And makeup out of a spray can gets everywhere, in your eyes and hair.

snugglebunny

If anyone else has tried this, please do share reviews and pictures. i just saw this infomercial. i've never seen it before at all and i think this product is rather really new.

and, i hope prettywicked doesn't get mad at me for saying this, but, she seems like a hired person from the luminess company because the way she says her words is so "perfect" if you know what i mean. it sounds so....perfectly worded to convince people. usually when people like a product, they at least state maybe 1 bad thing or something to it that makes it sound realistic.

not only that, but prettywicked just joined dec 2007, rather recent, just when Luminess Air just came out. and this is her only post.

i don't kno, i'm honestly not trying to create any conflict but I'd rather not believe her until we have a trusted specktra member show pictures as proof, or better yet, a video of them using it themselves.

i hope someone who has boughten this will come forth and share =)

oh, and i looked, this company is located in houston tx, where i live, and so i might pass by the company..not sure though because i don't even drive yet! haha, but if i do pass by it by chance, i'll see if there's anything about it that's fishy or something.

Ms. Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglebunny
If anyone else has tried this, please do share reviews and pictures. i just saw this infomercial. i've never seen it before at all and i think this product is rather really new.

and, i hope prettywicked doesn't get mad at me for saying this, but, she seems like a hired person from the luminess company

Wow, you are good!
winkiss.gif

I saw the informercial for this too and am also considering this product; I would love to see reviews by other members.

Lorelai

After searching high and low, I managed to find one review by a young woman named Courtney on myspace. This is what she had to say about Luminess Air...

"Usually I am A Christian Dior foundation user I usually want MAX coverage so this is the point of view im coming from. So here it is, the pros and cons!

PROS:
-Minimal use of foundation
-Barely feels like anything is on your skin
-Fun to use
-Sits on the skin instead of being rubbed in
-requires no brushes or touching of the skin
-Stays on long comes off easily with makeup remover
-I have very dry skin and it made my skin feel as if I had lotion on
-Doesn't spatter everywhere as you may think
-If you get PRO it comes with blush and bronzer plus speeds to use tanner on your skin (has to be their brand though)
-Small machine
-Not very loud considering it is and air compressor
-Leaves no lines along neck
-Skin looks creamy instead of powdery like Bare Minerals etc
-Doesn't come off easily with sweat
-Has no smell unlike some other foundations
-Does not irritate skin or eyes even if it gets in them

Basically coverage wise it covers well. I have dry skin with some acne and it covers it as if I looked how I would without acne. It makes my skin one even tone which is nice. Also skin looks dewy. For areas that are more troublesome you might have to use more foundation which can be a hassle because the bottles they send you are TINY. Although you do get 4 of them. If you have splotchy skin you should be just fine. Butttt, if you have acne be prepared to go through the foundation much faster. Now the cons, plain and simple.

CONS
-A hassle to set up if you take it apart every time
-Requires cleaning after switching froom blush to bronzer etc. (luckily cleaning only take 30 seconds but it can add up after foundation, bronzer, blush, shimmer)
-For my face requires more foundation
-Samples sent with product were just that SAMPLES
-Took 3 weeks to receive
-Warranty lasts only 3 months
-Cant use any other product but luminess airs' product or else you void warranty
-Makeup is stuck to one brand (Luminess Air)

Ok so all in all it's worth the buy. But if your someone with heavy acne this won't be the best product for you. You would be going through a bottle of foundation each application. I enjoy using it, it makes putting on makeup fun. It will take a few trys before you see good looking results. I looked like crap the first 3 times so don't knock it till you get it. When you use the blush or bronzer do not use more than 2 drop or you'll end up looking like a clown (bad experince). it was fun putting makeup on all my family members. I bought the pro system with costs me 67 dollars a month for four months I believe. If you are ordering this I suggest you order it now, if not it won't arrive till January. Good buy for the makeup obsessed. Hope this help you all! Happy buying..lol

Courtney
(myspace friends id 11575720)"

Hope that helps!

yes.gif

denise1

I purchased the pro system and it arrived yesterday. I initially ordered this after seeing the infomercial; I have had my makeup professionally airbrushed several times for TV appearances and I always liked the look of it. Can I get the same results myself at home? I might be able to, after a few days of practice.

Here's my "day one" review:

The Luminess is pretty easy to set up and use. I watched the short DVD tutorial and flipped through the quick start guide. They recommend you practice with water first - a good idea to get the feel of it. My first attempt with the makeup feels a little cakey and thick but I imagine that will improve with practice. I used a total of twelve drops (six of two colors) and another three of the blush. Stopping in the middle to add more makup was kind of a pain. Rinsing the unit out at the end is pretty easy. I think total time invested start to finish was nearly 20 minutes... and on a normal day, I spend less than 5 on foundation -- this may be drawback one.

I like the look and hopefully it will be better and faster after a few days of practice. One thing that would have helped me was a bright light and magnifying mirror since it's hard to see the makeup go on as you spray it -- you just have to trust that it's working.

What I don't like is the cost... my unit was $333 and there is a club you need to join for $30 per month (or other, as of yet undefined, time period) -- so the cost of this is going to be much greater than the mineral make up I currently use. Can I see myself getting up early for work to use this every day? I'm not sure, the novelty may wear off pretty quickly. I also don't know yet how big the bottles are and how long they will last. The website is pretty sketchy with information on the refills. Several parts of the website don't work yet so my guess is they were trying to get everything ready for the holiday shopping season.

Pro: Can blend your own colors and create a nice even look.
Con: Cost and time. More bulk to travel with.

I'll use it for a few more days and post my experiences again before deciding if I'll keep it.

denise1

More follow up on the Luminess... I'm on day 3. It's definitely much easier now and I have mastered layering so it looks more natural. Yesterday I went a little crazy with the blush and looked a little silly. Lorelai is absolutely correct -- go easy on the blush.. a couple drops is plenty. The medium kit blush is very pink/dark rose so I mixed it with a drop of foundation and it looks more natural.

I'm definitely keeping the system now... my husband said I looked younger and a coworker told me I look "well rested" - game over, Luminess wins. You will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

The highlight of my day is that it worked well to cover dark circles under my eyes. Now that I have the hang of it, I love it. Total time today, 5 minutes. I'm happy with the look and it does stay on and look fresh all day without touchups. My skin seems to be reacting very well. This gadget is quickly becoming my favorite beauty product (tied with Sugah leave in conditioner) - I'm calling customer service on Monday to inquire about the cost/size/frequency of the refills.

msashlay

I am weary of this brand because there has been a lot of spammy posts and fake reviews about this product on the makeup forums I frequent.

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglebunny
he/she seems like a hired person from the luminess company because the way she says her words is so "perfect" if you know what i mean. it sounds so....perfectly worded to convince people. usually when people like a product, they at least state maybe 1 bad thing or something to it that makes it sound realistic.

After some research, I would say your gut reaction the post being "spammy" is correct.

QTAllStarGurl

I personally would stay away due to the fact the warranty is only 3 months and since its a relatively new product you never know how long it will last cause I would hate if it stopped working after say 4 months...if you really need an airbrush really bad I say just save up for a good quality one that you know will last a long time
And plus the spammy posts and short warranty is def. a red flag 2 me

Regalis

I checked out the website, and as curious as it makes me, there's no wayyyy I'd be forking out that amount of cashy money any time soon for something that seems so... gimicky =/ interesting concept, flawed exceution?

cyarema

I got sucked into buying it through the infomercial. I received it last night...played w/it and then used it today. I love it. I need a bit more practice w/the application of blush and stuff.

I'm a bit weary about the whole not ordering through a website and not knowing what i'm getting in the "monthly" delivery. i know that one shade works perfect for me. don't need any other shades. but how do they know which one to send me. i suppose i should call. has anyone called to find out what this is all about?? And if there will ever be a website to look at?? Supposedly they have all this "other" fun stuff. But i didn't see anything. Or even a catalog to look at.

Overall, i'm happy with it. But want to be secure in knowing what i'm paying for.

Romaniac

I found this while googling luminess air reviews. I saw the infomercial, and I wanted to purchase one, but I was not to sure about it. I really need an airbrush .... 1. I do photography and 2. I need it for cosplay and stage makeup.
Well, I purchased a regular airbrush from walmart, because I also needed it to paint some masks and costumes. I tried it with makeup on my arm, just to see how it works. Well, if the airbursh wasn't a cheap one, it could work, but it kinda splatters sometimes so its definitely not usable, but I liked the effect, even if it didn't work perfectly. I decided to buy a makeup airbrush system, and I was looking at one within my price range (~300$).

I found the Luminess Air one, and DINAIR >> Personal Kit which honestly, I think it looks better than the Luminess Air.

Does anybody have experience with the Dinair airbrush? Anybody used it?

denise1

I like mine, I've had it about a month and all is well. The one thing though is that I have not been able to reach the company to order more makeup. The website seems to be partially broken. I agree with what others have said that the reports seem spammy, but in my case, I have it, it does work and I like it. My only complaint is that I'm running low on product. It ships with tiny sample bottles.

knkn20

I have the Dinair Airbrush System and I love it! I have heard some bad things about Luminess so I went online to do some research. I found out that Dinair has been around for over 25 years and they are the creators of airbrush makeup. The makeup is wondeful! It covers so well and it doesn't look like I'm wearing makeup. I hope those of you who got Luminess love it! Airbrushing can be expensive but i feel like it's so worth it!! If you havn't purchased anything yet i would atleast type Dinair into google and look at their site.

Soccer Player

I purchased the package in Dec 2007. On the positive side, it does provide easy application and good coverage.

The negatives-
1) It is a costly system initial price ($250.00+)
2) coverage required more than the few drops they say it will take
3) there will be an additional $60.00+ for a 2 month supply [which you pay for at least 6 weeks b4 receiving the product
4) The initial make-up package is 4 different shades; even if you advise them of the shade you would prefer
5) I was advised that additional cosmetic product were available for use with the system. Still hasn't happened
6) Reaching them & Customer Service is TERRIBLE! If you dial the toll free number 877-749-5777 you are place on hold forever. I tried contacting them by e-mail & 8 days later still no response. When I was finally able to reach them-The customer service is lousy. I asked to be dropped from the club, which they did gladly and quickly hung-up before answering the rest of my ?s. They already have my money and I just received an e-mail advising an additional transaction would be applied to my count, not debited from my account

Latest posts