Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why is M.A.C. discontinuing so many good products?

We all know they are phasing out the cream color bases, paints and shadesticks. Certain eyeshadows that are staples in many people's collections, some lipgelees, etc. I understand that they have to keep an edge to the competition but they are discontinuing some very good and seemingly popular items. Were they really that unpopular and not selling? Who decides what goes? I'd hate to see them do this so they can churn out more half assed non permanent collections. What turned me on to them is slowly going away for more gimmicky products that aren't the quality i'm used to from mac. I have taken back so many things because they just aren't what they used to be. They have also started putting more glitter/sparkle into their products too. I don't mind some but it seems like everything coming out is a repeat of something that came out a few months ago. The eyeshadows aren't as pigmented and they seem to be making more toned down colors. Of course there are gems in each collection, but they need to add some better things to their permanent line. Sorry for the long post i just needed to vent some frustrations, if they continue on this path I might just walk away from mac because nothing will interest me!
    "Know, first, who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly.â -Epictetus, Greek philosopher

Re: Why is M.A.C. discontinuing so many good products?

I'm gonna be so upset when they get rid of paints! They are my perfect eyeshadow base. I wonder too if they are just not as popular now? I like paint pots but they do not last as long on me as paints do. I even prefer the lasting power of shadesticks over that of paint pots.
    Don't even get me started on the eyeshadows that I love that they have discontinued...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trista
    I'm gonna be so upset when they get rid of paints! They are my perfect eyeshadow base. I wonder too if they are just not as popular now? I like paint pots but they do not last as long on me as paints do. I even prefer the lasting power of shadesticks over that of paint pots.
    Don't even get me started on the eyeshadows that I love that they have discontinued...

Yes I agree paints are my favorite eyeshadow base. And shadesticks kick up the colors so much i am going to miss them.
    I don't get the woodwinked discontinuation thing. That is a color that looks good on just about everyone and is neutral. Everyone suggests that eyeshadow and its so pretty anyway...
    "Know, first, who you are, and then adorn yourself accordingly.â -Epictetus, Greek philosopher

Wait a mintue... they're discontinuing woodwinked???? That's my fave!!Oh say it aint so I have no luck. They got rid of my beloved femme noir and I've had such problems finding a dupe for that color.

They're not discounting paints or woodwinked. MAC discontinues products when they don't sell. They just take up space. Like lacquers, I never have any customer purchase themtherefore they are now in a beaker behind the lipstick unit. MAC works like any business and they look at the overall, if something is poorly selling why would they keep it?
    Check out my blog
    UrbanBedouGirl.com - Beauty, Fashion and Life Through the Eyes of an Urban Bedou Girl
    Follow me on Twitter -http://twitter.com/AmanneSharif

I don't know why they discontinued loud lash

I called the local corporate office and they were a bit surpirsed because it was one of their best sellers here.
    Deafness doesn't prevent composers hearing the music. It prevents them hearing the distractions.
    (from Soul Music)

N15 · red hair · green eyes

it's all about business. supply and demand. whatever products aren't selling, why keep? (is what mac corporate is thinkin) i'm sure most of us won't like it, because a lot of us have been using mac for years and years, and we have our old school favorites. but sometimes, good things must come to an end. but.... then that leaves us opportunity to go out hunting (and a great excuse to go shopping) to find new stuff!

Even though I understand why they need to discontinue certain products I feel the desire to occassionally vent about it. It just sometimes gets confusing because i've had MUAs from two different MAC stores tell me that they are planning to eventually get rid of paints. So naturally I panicked when I heard this.

Does anyone know if they D/C the #222 brush?
    I went to 4 MAC stores/ counters and I couldn't find it. I stupidly forgot to ask an MA since I was busy noticeing other things.

I recently heard they D/C corn shadestick, brill e/s, and several paints.

they didn't dc #222. it isn't sold at counters, so that's why you can't find it there. and the stores you visited where probably sold out, or just didn't fill it from the back. it's a popular brush at the stores.

yes, corn shadestick was one of about half of the shadesticks to get dc'd, as well as half of the paints.
    black is such a happy colour

I am surprised that paints and shadesticks don't do well. I guess its just the people on the makeup sites that buy them. If the general public has a hard time with these products i think they should at least move them over to macpro.
    and don't you guys think its strange their are no purple eye bases anymore since mauvism and royal hue were discontinued? Sure there is Nice Vice paint pot, but its already sold out.

the shadesticks and lacquers have never been popular, although i do love fanplastico and poco pink, ill just stock up

i guess it's like everyone has said so far, if a product doesn't sell then it gets yanked off the shelves and out of the online store. but also i've noticed that when a color gets discontinued, there'll be a color that is strikingly similar to it added to the list prior to or not long afterward.

Maybe they've just discovered they can get people to buy more make-up if it's limited edition? I can't believe they're discontinuing bare canvas paint though. Heaps of people use that!

yeah the bare canvas thing is a little mind-boggling. hm. maybe there's been so much success with the paint pots that they're sort of updating the paints and will release another similar base-type product? :/

it also has to do with ingredient availability. if they can no longer get ahold of an ingredient like they did in the past, they need to phase out the product.
    black is such a happy colour

^^^^I was just going to post this.
    My Blog:Beauty in color || Beauty of color

Quote:
    Originally Posted by erine1881
    it also has to do with ingredient availability. if they can no longer get ahold of an ingredient like they did in the past, they need to phase out the product.

That makes perfect sense.

Paints are not being discontinued as of now. It has never been said that they'll discontinue them. Some colors have been discontinued but I've asked my trainers many times and they don't get where that is coming from. Just because they phase out less popular colors doesn't mean they're getting rid of the entire product. However they are less popular since paint pots came out.
    Check out my blog
    UrbanBedouGirl.com - Beauty, Fashion and Life Through the Eyes of an Urban Bedou Girl
    Follow me on Twitter -http://twitter.com/AmanneSharif

i honestly don't mind that much b/c i always find something to buy that i like just as much - i'm usually more bothered by skincare being dc'd. besides, they gotta stock the CCO's with something and i'm happy to pay a lot less for it!

if you look on the bright side.. this means MORE NEW MAC STUFF! and usually when they discontinue something, they try to make something similar but BETTER so i cant wait to see what MAC has to offer later on!
    MAC = x1000

As a MAC retail artist, we are generally not given rhymes or reasons. We are just sent a list every once and a while with the things that are being discontinued and things that we need to return to the vendor. Often we have to guess as to why they're being taken away, like assuming because we didn't sell enough X item, it's being axed. We never really know unless there is a specific note.

And what we are trained to do with customers is always inform them of our still permanent products as well as new collections, and make sure to tell them that while that specific product is gone, there is always something fairly similar here or coming soon. Makeup is meant to be everchanging, and even though sometimes it's difficult to get out of bad habits, one can find something new that they like. You know what I mean?

yeapz i think they dc so many stuff = they cannot find ingredients for production. which is quite sad i think

but at the same time, stuff comes and go no? we will get over the dc products when something similar comes along ^^

I'm still upset about the paints.. I love those little buggers to death, they may take a little bit longer to apply and understand, but once you do they are like true love for any make up junkie like me.

I wish that they would still make them, but even the colors that they are keeping now aren't any fun most of the old colors that are were le or dc'ed long ago.

what i find super disappointing is when i go a counter and the MA show me something, then i decide that i love it.. and then when they get it.. they say. "oh sorry.. we ran out, and its being discontinued. "
    it happened several times already!!! namely sharkskin and the 180 brush... grrrr.....

I can understand when they want to discountinue an unpopular item to make space for new ones but I can never understand why they discontinued my fave lustreglass palatial, it was such a unique gloss..
    NC25 / black / hazel and marjoontheblog.com

I'm sure ingredient availability is a big factor, but it's also brilliant marketing.

Discontinuing stuff makes people want to stay current with what's available in case their faves are discontinued --- which means visiting the site and store, which means being exposed to all the new offerings. Which are limited edition, so if you don't buy them now, you might never get them. And each time you visit the site/store to check availability, you're tempted to buy. When stuff IS discontinued, people stock up.

Doesn't make the rollercoaster any less fun, though

Is it true that some of the paints are the same colors as the paint pots? From what I've seen around paint pots are more popular. (I'm no MA, but that's my image of it.) The thread starter wrote something about more glitter in the new products-- I agree. I HATE glitter & sometimes the shimmer is too much shimmer!

I don't see why they discontinue eyeshadows. And the limited edition things are annoying in my opinion. I'm afraid to buy a L/E color or product just incase I love it. (Like blonde msf...)
    --Amanda11762

I agree with a lot of the other posters, I hate it that they discontinue so many products. I would still go in and check everything out, new and old. They should offer to make DC products for a special fee-I'd be tempted to buy some of my old faves for like 3x the normal cost! hehe

I think it is kind of a marketing thing but I get stressed about running out of my favorites when they are L/E.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amanda11762
    Is it true that some of the paints are the same colors as the paint pots? From what I've seen around paint pots are more popular. (I'm no MA, but that's my image of it.) The thread starter wrote something about more glitter in the new products-- I agree. I HATE glitter & sometimes the shimmer is too much shimmer!

I don't see why they discontinue eyeshadows. And the limited edition things are annoying in my opinion. I'm afraid to buy a L/E color or product just incase I love it. (Like blonde msf...)

No...they pay off is also totally different. Though Soft Ochre and Painterly are somewhat similar to Bare Canvas and Untitled. The Paint Pots are totally more popular b/c they tend to be more user friendly and do not dry down as fast. I totally prefer them over the Paints...but that's just me.

As for the glitter in the products, they totally need to chill on it. Not everyone wants to have a disco ball eye. They need more wearable softer colors matte or satin colors for people 30 and over.

just my 2 cents...
    Rockin MAC since 97...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast