1. #1
    Senior Member Babylard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,755

    Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    wow... the canadian section is seriously lonely. i guess i'll make the first move!

    anybody in the Winnipeg area wanna hang out with a 5'1 asian girl age 19 who is new to town? lol

    i've only been to polo park a few times, the st. vital MAC once yesterday and the downtown MAC once for Fafi lol.

    where do you like to shop/go?

  2. #2
    Senior Member breechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    158

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Winnipeg is my hometown. However I'm living in Japan now. I'll be moving back to winnipeg though in the fall. I lived there for 21 years so if you need any advice about winnipeg, just give me a shout, or we can talk about it on this thread.

    As for some interesting places to shop, check out all the neat shops and boutiques in Osbourne village. That area was once all grungy/punk/piercing shops but the last couple years some independant designers, funky boutiques and stuff have moved in.

    As for the MAC stores in Winnipeg, the one in the Bay downtown is the least busy. There's also a freestanding store coming...but thats inside info.
    NC15 / brown eyes / brown hair

  3. #3
    Senior Member gigglegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    2,238

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    A freestanding?? AHHH That'd be KILLER! Do you know where they'd put it?? I assume somewhere in the south end of town....as long as they don't take away my counter downtown that'd be great, that place is the only one I go to since they seem to have stock for quite a bit and the girls know me, so easy to chat with them!!

    I'm 23, living in Winnipeg, finishing up my degree at the U of M (Nearly done!) Awesome to see 'Peggers on here!!
    Obsessed with makeup since June 07!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Babylard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,755

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breechan
    Winnipeg is my hometown. However I'm living in Japan now. I'll be moving back to winnipeg though in the fall. I lived there for 21 years so if you need any advice about winnipeg, just give me a shout, or we can talk about it on this thread.

    As for some interesting places to shop, check out all the neat shops and boutiques in Osbourne village. That area was once all grungy/punk/piercing shops but the last couple years some independant designers, funky boutiques and stuff have moved in.

    As for the MAC stores in Winnipeg, the one in the Bay downtown is the least busy. There's also a freestanding store coming...but thats inside info.

    OMG for real? I was like damn, Winnipeg needs a MAC store........ thats freaken awesome. I hope they sell pro-palettes... I try phoning the MAC # but they neverrr answer me. NEVERRRRR

    I've neverrr been to Osbourne, but I've driven past it. My father likes driving through Osbourne village instead of Stafford because its less lonely lol. I've been eyeing that dessert restaurant.....

    I hope you enjoy Japan! Thats awesome, my sisters and I have always admired Japanese culture. I heard the Winnipeg anime convention is one of the biggest in Canada. I amm soooo gonna go! Back in Vancouver, they actually had Back-On perform at the convention last year but my mother wouldn't let my younger sisters go... they were so pissed......

    I am totally craving takoyaki and okonomiyaki. You wouldn't happen to know any places that make them do you? lol

  5. #5
    Senior Member Babylard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,755

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigglegirl
    A freestanding?? AHHH That'd be KILLER! Do you know where they'd put it?? I assume somewhere in the south end of town....as long as they don't take away my counter downtown that'd be great, that place is the only one I go to since they seem to have stock for quite a bit and the girls know me, so easy to chat with them!!

    I'm 23, living in Winnipeg, finishing up my degree at the U of M (Nearly done!) Awesome to see 'Peggers on here!!

    congrats! you're almost done and you're only 23! Im just starting at the U of M. Where are you usually at? I'm alwayss hanging around by myself in Machray Hall lol. Sometimes I pretend to study and play with my exploding makeup bag full of MAC

    I'm guessing the new MAC will be south end as well. I hate how the downtown closes soo early.. 6pm? ugh... lol I just made an appointment for myself on Thursday next week at 3:00pm (no labs WHOOO!) and I'm gonna rush their when Heatherette comes out as well lol which is the week after my appointment I think.

    I love downtown near the brodie center. my neighborhood is kinda... ugh o.O last time I walked past that beer selling store near kfc/tacobell and this super creepy guy kept following me and asked "Do you like to sleep?" wtf.. what does that even mean...

  6. #6
    Senior Member breechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    158

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigglegirl
    A freestanding?? AHHH That'd be KILLER! Do you know where they'd put it?? I assume somewhere in the south end of town....as long as they don't take away my counter downtown that'd be great, that place is the only one I go to since they seem to have stock for quite a bit and the girls know me, so easy to chat with them!!

    I'm 23, living in Winnipeg, finishing up my degree at the U of M (Nearly done!) Awesome to see 'Peggers on here!!

    Yeah, I'm super psyched for the freestanding. It's rumored to be in St. V. I assume the Bay counter will shut down in that case. I finished my degree when I was 21 at the U of M. What a coincidence. What are you studying?
    NC15 / brown eyes / brown hair

  7. #7
    Senior Member breechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    158

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Babylard
    OMG for real? I was like damn, Winnipeg needs a MAC store........ thats freaken awesome. I hope they sell pro-palettes... I try phoning the MAC # but they neverrr answer me. NEVERRRRR

    I've neverrr been to Osbourne, but I've driven past it. My father likes driving through Osbourne village instead of Stafford because its less lonely lol. I've been eyeing that dessert restaurant.....

    I hope you enjoy Japan! Thats awesome, my sisters and I have always admired Japanese culture. I heard the Winnipeg anime convention is one of the biggest in Canada. I amm soooo gonna go! Back in Vancouver, they actually had Back-On perform at the convention last year but my mother wouldn't let my younger sisters go... they were so pissed......

    I am totally craving takoyaki and okonomiyaki. You wouldn't happen to know any places that make them do you? lol

    OMG yes I know exactly what you mean. I couldnt get my paws on a professional palette until I went to the pro store in Tokyo (that was a quasi-religious experience).

    You should definitely check out Osbourne though, lots of little treasures there. It's a good place to spend an afternoon once it warms up a bit. There's some really nice restaurants there too. There's a Thai place, an Australian place I've always wanted to try, a couple sushi joints like Meiji (kinda $$$ though there). Buccacino's is a nice Italian place ideal for a date.

    OH! And you should check out little italy especially in the summer in the evening. Lots of attractive young people out and about in the little restaurants and bars, and some AWESOME gelati!

    Yes, Japan is an interesting place, but its more like a second home. When I go to Winnipeg to visit, I start to get homesick for my place in Japan. It's a strange feeling. I don't really have any interest in Anime so I can't really comment on the conventions and stuff.

    As for takoyaki and okonomiyaki...I don't know of any places in winnipeg that serves that. You could get the ingredients at the asian market in Chinatown though. I like sampling the Japanese restaurants in Winnipeg. To tell the truth, I prefer the sushi in Winnipeg to the stuff here in Japan. Thats probably blasphemous to say so....but yea. There's still lots of sushi joints I'd like to check out. I tend to stick to Sushi Train at the Forks, since It's close, cheap, and I like lots of stuff on their menu.
    NC15 / brown eyes / brown hair

  8. #8
    Senior Member Babylard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,755

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breechan
    OMG yes I know exactly what you mean. I couldnt get my paws on a professional palette until I went to the pro store in Tokyo (that was a quasi-religious experience).

    You should definitely check out Osbourne though, lots of little treasures there. It's a good place to spend an afternoon once it warms up a bit. There's some really nice restaurants there too. There's a Thai place, an Australian place I've always wanted to try, a couple sushi joints like Meiji (kinda $$$ though there). Buccacino's is a nice Italian place ideal for a date.

    OH! And you should check out little italy especially in the summer in the evening. Lots of attractive young people out and about in the little restaurants and bars, and some AWESOME gelati!

    Yes, Japan is an interesting place, but its more like a second home. When I go to Winnipeg to visit, I start to get homesick for my place in Japan. It's a strange feeling. I don't really have any interest in Anime so I can't really comment on the conventions and stuff.

    As for takoyaki and okonomiyaki...I don't know of any places in winnipeg that serves that. You could get the ingredients at the asian market in Chinatown though. I like sampling the Japanese restaurants in Winnipeg. To tell the truth, I prefer the sushi in Winnipeg to the stuff here in Japan. Thats probably blasphemous to say so....but yea. There's still lots of sushi joints I'd like to check out. I tend to stick to Sushi Train at the Forks, since It's close, cheap, and I like lots of stuff on their menu.

    thanks for the tips! now i need to find me a nice winnipeg guy hahaha

    i was actually warned not to eat at sushi train LOL my cousin said they are not very sanitary in preparing food... the chef had cuts and whatnot all over his hands and he was not wearing gloves... eeek... i should probably stick to vancouver sushi when i visit again. i have always wanted to try meji though but my roomate never wants to go anywhere and i dont have any buddies yet boooo!

    i loveeee ice cream! i cant wait til it gets warmer. its gross right now since the snow is starting to melt and the streets is full of gooo where do u go for gelato? i only saw that big place where osborn breaks into pembina. i think i know which italian restaurant you are talking about. it looks veryy lovely! but not table for 1 lovely... LOL

  9. #9
    Senior Member breechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    158

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Babylard
    thanks for the tips! now i need to find me a nice winnipeg guy hahaha

    i was actually warned not to eat at sushi train LOL my cousin said they are not very sanitary in preparing food... the chef had cuts and whatnot all over his hands and he was not wearing gloves... eeek... i should probably stick to vancouver sushi when i visit again. i have always wanted to try meji though but my roomate never wants to go anywhere and i dont have any buddies yet boooo!

    i loveeee ice cream! i cant wait til it gets warmer. its gross right now since the snow is starting to melt and the streets is full of gooo where do u go for gelato? i only saw that big place where osborn breaks into pembina. i think i know which italian restaurant you are talking about. it looks veryy lovely! but not table for 1 lovely... LOL

    Nice Winnipeg Guy....hahah thats a good one LOL!! They're rare, ugh!

    About Sushi Train, there's 3 or 4 locations in Winnipeg, but thats gross about the sanitary stuff. EEK!

    The best place in my opinion is Nucci's Gelati on Osbourne, or Leo's in St. Boniface at the foot of the Esplanade Louis Real (the weird looking bridge).
    NC15 / brown eyes / brown hair

  10. #10
    Senior Member gigglegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    2,238

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    My sushi experiences have sadly been lacking >< I LOVE BluFish on Bannatyne (close to work, awesome flavour, expensive) Meiji Sushi on Pembina (meh--little cheaper than BluFish but I wasn't blown away) and the other place I've tried is Sushi Plus I believe on McPhillips--cheap but CRAP--if that had been my first experience with sushi I'm pretty sure I would never have tried it again. Though my brother recently went to Wasabi on Osborne again and wants me to try it--I said YES but after I graduate! I like Buccacino's on Osborne--good drinks, good place to meet ppl. Also there's that Baked Expectations---so bad but it tastes so good!

    I'm finishing up my BComm majoring in Accounting, but not sure I want to be an accountant. Yea thats a fun time to be working on the last few courses and realizing this may not be the career for me!
    Obsessed with makeup since June 07!

  11. #11
    Senior Member breechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    158

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigglegirl
    My sushi experiences have sadly been lacking >< I LOVE BluFish on Bannatyne (close to work, awesome flavour, expensive) Meiji Sushi on Pembina (meh--little cheaper than BluFish but I wasn't blown away) and the other place I've tried is Sushi Plus I believe on McPhillips--cheap but CRAP--if that had been my first experience with sushi I'm pretty sure I would never have tried it again. Though my brother recently went to Wasabi on Osborne again and wants me to try it--I said YES but after I graduate! I like Buccacino's on Osborne--good drinks, good place to meet ppl. Also there's that Baked Expectations---so bad but it tastes so good!

    I'm finishing up my BComm majoring in Accounting, but not sure I want to be an accountant. Yea thats a fun time to be working on the last few courses and realizing this may not be the career for me!

    Cool, I haven't tried blufish yet. One of my friends lives near sushi-plus and makes me go there ahha. I don't eat any of their raw stuff though. Oh baked expectations! I forgot about that place. I've only been once, but would like to go again!

    Hang in there for the school. Most people don't stick to one career anyway these days. You may be able to find a job that interests you with a slight accounting touch to it. It's definitely a door opener! At least your education has jobs at the end of the tunnel. My Asian Studies degree has VERY VERY vague job opportunities. But, I decided to follow my interests and hope I can find meaningful employment when I return to Canada from Japan.
    NC15 / brown eyes / brown hair

  12. #12
    Member jolener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    73

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    I'm from winnipeg ^_^ has anyone been to the beauty boutiques, theres one on academy and one in front of starbucks on osbourne...

    and i'm psyched for a freestanding store whether its true or not, i want some damnnn pigments, i'm underage so i can't really buy online -.-

    oh and i usually go to the mac @ polo park

  13. #13
    Senior Member breechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    158

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jolener
    I'm from winnipeg ^_^ has anyone been to the beauty boutiques, theres one on academy and one in front of starbucks on osbourne...

    and i'm psyched for a freestanding store whether its true or not, i want some damnnn pigments, i'm underage so i can't really buy online -.-

    oh and i usually go to the mac @ polo park

    OOOO Which boutiques are they? I had't heard of them. Mind you I've not been living in Winnipeg for 2 years. I might just have to check it out when I come back in the fall. What kind of stuff do they have?
    NC15 / brown eyes / brown hair

  14. #14
    Senior Member gigglegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    2,238

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    The freestanding is apparently being worked on AS WE SPEAK (courtesy of KimSwim who's dad saw them working on the store). Its going to be in St Vital Centre. I haven't been there in ages so not sure exactly where but this is exciting!!
    Obsessed with makeup since June 07!

  15. #15
    Senior Member breechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    158

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigglegirl
    The freestanding is apparently being worked on AS WE SPEAK (courtesy of KimSwim who's dad saw them working on the store). Its going to be in St Vital Centre. I haven't been there in ages so not sure exactly where but this is exciting!!

    Yep, thats the store I hinted about in my first post on this thread. I'm thrilled you guys! The date I heard was August 2008, but if they're working on it already, I guess it will be sooner. Thats great!
    NC15 / brown eyes / brown hair

  16. #16
    Senior Member gigglegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    2,238

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    lol its great, i just hope there will be empty palettes (will save me from calling the pro #) but I'm not sure what else I'd get. Theres so many summer collections to keep up with, I kinda would like some reg pigments but i order stuff regularly from the mac site so i don't know how diff. i'll feel with a freestanding. I still love my downtown one!
    Obsessed with makeup since June 07!

  17. #17
    Member jolener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    73

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breechan
    OOOO Which boutiques are they? I had't heard of them. Mind you I've not been living in Winnipeg for 2 years. I might just have to check it out when I come back in the fall. What kind of stuff do they have?

    the one on academy is called buttercup beauty bar, supposevely selling japonesque, but it was closed when i was down there, which was a monday, and tonight i just went to the one on osboune called splurge beauty, which sells their own line, and face atelier ( has empty palettes that should fit mac, but who cares we're getting a store ) or however you spell it and body and soul, and really nice body care/soaps, mmmmmmmmmmmmm, and clothes and jewelry

    buttercup beauty bar : http://www.buttercupbeautybar.com/

    splurge beauty : s p l u r g e b e a u t y . c o m

    splurge also has face book w/ a video tour of the lounge (Login | Facebook), and in the video i saw a draw for a shu uemura curler, but when i went tonight i didn't see it anymore

  18. #18
    Member jolener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    73

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breechan
    Yep, thats the store I hinted about in my first post on this thread. I'm thrilled you guys! The date I heard was August 2008, but if they're working on it already, I guess it will be sooner. Thats great!

    ooooooooh, i'm sooo excited, i'm gonna probably be there a lot, but i live in the north end, so it kind of sucks, but i spend a lot of time in the south cause one of my best friends lives down there, and so would the mac in the bay close?, too badd there it isn't gonna be in polo, since they are all renovating and such, it would be nice, and any idea where in the mall they're building it? OOOHHH and B2M, do we get the other choices, such as eyeshadows and lipglasses?

  19. #19
    Member jolener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    73

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    so i went to st.vital today, and they have the MAC store sign up, it says coming june 2008, and its in the centre of the mall beside la senza and sunglasses hut, so excitedddd

    so i went to the bay mac, and bought a few things and she said told me about an event and gave me a card;

    &quot;You are invited to a CIRCUS!
    a MAC event
    @GALA @ the BAY St. Vital
    1225 St. Mary's Road
    April 19th, 2008 6:30-9:30 p.m
    Ticket Cost is $10
    ($8 redeemable in product/$2 to the Woman's Foundation of Canada)

    Please join us! Our event includes games/ a mini manicure bar/ circus characters/ snacks/ a tarot card reader/ and so much more!
    Get your ticket now!
    We look forward to you joining us at our unique event&quot;


    I don't know if i'm going, but i also asked her if the bay mac would be closing since there is a store coming, and she said no

  20. #20
    Senior Member mello's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    442

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    I'm 17 and just finished high school... I would love to get together with some fellow winnipegers!

  21. #21

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Winnipeg is my home town, but I don't live there any more.

  22. #22
    Junior Member lexsie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    28

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    I'm from Winnipeg too! But I moved to Toronto 2 years ago.

    I worked at Polo so I always went to the one in the Bay. I hate how we don't have a lot of MAC stores so when LE's come out they go quick! That's the only good thing about working in that mall.. I would always be there as soon as they open and grab whatever I can.

    I was there a couple weeks ago and I'm glad to finally see a freestanding store at St. V

  23. #23
    Senior Member Babylard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,755

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    ooo wow i totally forget this thread existed. the st. vital store is awesome. i do my b2ms there =D

  24. #24

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Wow pretty quiet here - but count me in the club!

  25. #25
    Senior Member Babylard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    1,755

    Re: Winnipeg, MB anyone?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubbleheart
    Wow pretty quiet here - but count me in the club!

    oh welcome!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •