Does anyone ever feel like getting rid of everything?

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danapotter
Hello! I was not sure where to post this, but I really need some help.

It seems like my collection is growing (which I love) as my family's annoyance to my hobby is growing too.
ssad.gif

I have 18 eyeshadows, 6 lipglasses, 2 lipsticks, one liner, one concealer and one blush from MAC.

I have about 15 other products from other companies. My mom suggests I sell a big portion of it....and just keep what I "need". I agree with her, but then I feel as if I am parting with a best friend.

So, if you have any words of wisdom,
thmbup.gif

And, if you ever felt as if you needed to get rid of your collection or have a story similar to mine, share!
thmbup.gif

It's your stuff, and if you paid for it with your own money or allowance, it's no one's right to tell you to sell it off if you don't want to. It's a collection, just like other people collect vinyl, or books, or whatever...who cares what other people say.

I never have the urge to sell off all my stash, only swap things I don't use for other things I might like more.
winks.gif

I def don't think your collection is too much, but we're all addicts here, lol.

melliquor

I know what you mean. I went through 6 months of being in a funk and not buying any makeup. I was so depressed about it because I missed my love of makeup. I look at all my stuff and think I do have too much but I love it all. I recently started selling my backups but thank god nothing that I really, really love. You should only sell if it you want to and don't let anybody pressure you into it.

You don't have too much. If you feel you do, then be fussy with what you buy from now on. That is what I am doing and not getting caught up in the hype of the collections. I have over 70 e/s, 25 l/g, 25 l/s, 15 blushes, 12 MSFs, and over 40 full pigments w/ another 50 samples. I HAVE TOO MUCH but I love it all and would never get rid of it.

stacylynne

I'm no help (LOL). I'm a MAC addict. I really don't think your collection is much at all.
I have over 40 pigments, over 100 eye shadows, 6 blushes, 3 bronzers, over 40 lipsticks & lip glosses, a couple of palletes, over 10 lip liners, over 10 eye liners, 1 fluidline (blacktrack of course) & this doesn't even include foundations, powders, primers,etc.

And you know what??? I would never part with anything except for a swap if there was a product I just out grew & didn't wear any longer.

Some people collect dolls, comic books, etc.
Make up is our art in here & if you bought your products with your hard earned money or allowance. No offense to your mom, but it's really non of her concern. It's not like your spending your money on drugs or alchol.
It's makeup!!!! so enjoy your art
smiles.gif

marreyes38

it really doesnt hurt to have all those eye shadows because i mean you already bought them...i think whats important is that you dont buy anymore stuff unless you really need to, say you run out of mascara or eye liner...otherwise just stick with what you have...and if you still want to get rid of some of your stuff ill gladly take it off your hands lol =]

FiestyFemme

I would never part with any of my collection unless it was my decision. For instance, when I become too overwhelmed with my stash, I'll weed out things I don't use anymore and swap it for things I will use or just give it away to a good home. Like the others have said, I also have way too much, but it makes me happy. Your collection is very small in comparison to mine, so I wouldn't worry about it to much.
smiles.gif

KellyBean

I want to do this sometimes. I sometimes regret depotting my eyeshadows.
ssad.gif
also I wish I didn't but so many LE things and stuck more to perm shades. I might just do this eventually. Ehh whatever.

However, everyone really supports me. My dad never comments and my mom asks me for help allllllllllll the time reguarding makeup, lol.

Danapotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyBean
I want to do this sometimes. I sometimes regret depotting my eyeshadows.
ssad.gif
also I wish I didn't but so many LE things and stuck more to perm shades. I might just do this eventually. Ehh whatever.

However, everyone really supports me. My dad never comments and my mom asks me for help allllllllllll the time reguarding makeup, lol.

Yeah. it was too hard for me to keep arguing about my collection. I actually no longer have any MAC products......I am trying to make my own cosmetics now.
thmbup.gif

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danapotter
Yeah. it was too hard for me to keep arguing about my collection. I actually no longer have any MAC products......I am trying to make my own cosmetics now.
thmbup.gif

Oh thats so good that you're looking into making your own!

But you really got rid of everything?

Danapotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
Oh thats so good that you're looking into making your own!

But you really got rid of everything?

Yes I did......it was hard. But it made more sense financially for me right now. In the future, who knows!
winkiss.gif

TDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KT*
The only time the thought of selling off occurs to me is when I see all the new stuff and think "if only I didn't already have so much, I could really go crazy with all this new stuff!". On the bright side, the amount of stuff in my train case does make me spend more cautiously as to not end up with too much duplication.

If you're using everything you've got, then I see no reason to sell anything.

I agree!

You definitely don't want to regret selling something you really loved or were really proud to get. If you can afford it (and I don't mean spending down to the penny in your checking account...) and it makes you happy, then I'd keep collecting. Just be careful with it. I recently tried to get a little smarter regarding what I buy. For example, I don't buy something just because its rare or just because it's part of a LE collection. I like to get products I need or colors that I don't already have a million dupes for. Also, I only buy colors I know I'll actually wear. I'm also realizing that I don't need 20 blues and 20 greens if I rarely wear them. If you like it and you can afford it, enjoy it.
Just don't buy MAC instead of food ok?
smiles.gif

*Just read your update about not owning any MAC anymore. Glad you made a decision you are happy with!

User49

91 eye shadows and 46 pigments down the line and I still want more. I think that if you feel guilt and you find that you aren't using up your products then that's your subconcious saying somethings not right. But for me I love buying new mac stuff. I admit I am a proud mac addict with a greedy growing collection and I'm no longer ashamed to admit it. I love mac products and think that it's my fascination with expressing myself through make up and art that keeps feeding the inner mac monster. Simply put if you like it then keep buying. If not just stop buying and use up what you have. xx

Iffath

I have a few comments:
1. first, if you feel guilty or awkward, then ask yourself why?
2. Is makeup collection your hobby, part of your studies, or your job/career? If so, you should analyze how much you need for those goals. If there was a fire, God-forbid, then you should be able to part with your collection during such an emergency.
3. Is it something you indulge in during periods of distress? If so, you need to de-stress in a more healthy way such as regular exercise,avoid caffeine, good rest.
4. Is it hurting your bank balance, budget, and straining your finances? If so, there may be a problem.
5. No-one likes criticism, but sometimes it is for our own good, and it is very good that you are assessing what other's have said to you. Sometimes another person's perspective is essential.

I own a lot of makeup, some things never even opened from the package, but I am a freelance makeup artist, as well as a student, and I budget myself. My husband dislikes my collection because of the sheer space it takes up.But I love it, and so does my sister and my mother understands my goals.

welcome to the club.
th_welcomeemoticonsign.gif
tong.gif

Good luck!

Esme

Good advice from Iffath, there, actually. But, I have to say, you don't have that much for (I assume) a teenage girl! My girls had (have) tons of makeup. I loved borrowing from them.
I did just give a medium size shopping bag half full of makeup and perfume away to some people at work (I work with people on parenting payments and on the dole (unemployment payments) mostly drugstore stuff, samples I have collected over the last year since I went back to work. Whew, there was some squeeee-ing at work, let me tell you!!
Anyway, I kept all my MAC and Nars, Bloom, etc. my faves and gave away Revlon, Rimmel, etc. I changed my hair color drastically and quit tanning, so lots of it didn't work for me, anyway.
I think I got off topic ---
Keep what you love, cull once a year or so and add judiciously, if you need to budget.
Don't be like my mom. It was so sad. When she died she was still using the same color of blue eyeshadow she wore when I started high school twenty five years earlier! She owned one cover stick, one powder foundation, two eyeshadows and one mascara. None cost more than $20, I don't suppose and all had seen better years. What a waste of a beautiful woman. (She did own about 10 lipsticks, though. Hmmmm, there was a little vanity there!)
RIP Mom!!

invadersads

sometimes i look at everything i have and i miss the times when i just had a little bit of products and they were dearer to me because they were what i needed. it's hard to explain but i feel now i have so much sometimes i'm like, do i really need 8 shades of green? i can't seem to part with it all because i love having more and collecting and seeing all the wonderful colors but other times i miss having just a little humble bit of makeup before i was constantly seeking new things to buy lol.
it's hard to explain but yes, sometimes i want to get rid of everythin but what will fit into one little box or something (which it all did less than a year ago lol) but not because of what anyone else says, mostly just because i miss having my few little dear things in my small little traincase.

juxteyes

I don't feel like you should have to sell or give any of it away. You have a very modest collection. There are many who have drawers full of drugstore products, some even have drawers full of highend products. Anytime I am feeling badly about how much I own I feel better once I watch other peoples collection videos on youtube. My sister and I share a collection, but it is enough for more than the two of us.
yes.gif

aleksis210

I have actually done this before! (gotten rid of everything..) Don't do it...you will regret it! I'm an avid collector of A LOT of things, makeup is probably number 1, but I also like water color paintings,designer sweaters(weird I know lol)tarot cards,and wine. No one ever gets bugged by it because they know it's what makes me HAPPY!! Tell your mom your makeup makes you happy and it's valuable to you!
smiles.gif
... I agree with what someone said about that if it is hurting you financially, there could be a problem..therefore I could see why someone wants you to sell it! My bf also hates my collections of things because he loathes 'knick knacks' and "decorations" on the walls (aka my paintings/wine etc.) That's why I have a separate bedroom for my stuff..lol.

Chelsssea

Don't do it. If you don't use particular items, you can get rid of them but don't get rid of things that you like.use because you're being told to. Honestly, your collection sounds very modest and it's not like you have too much stuff to be able to use it. Then again, this is coming from a girl with over 100 lip products.

Latest posts