benefits of working for Mac as a freelance

KIC686

Just wondering. There's a opeing in my area to get on the free lance team, but a girlfriend of mine told me that ppl who work on the freelance team don't get discounts or anything like that just an hourly rate...is this true?

FacesbyNiki

You need a pro card to get a discount.

i love freelancing because you work when you want to and you get to work with different artist. But you have to do what's best for you. I have a full time job so right now, freelancing is best for me. Although I do miss being at the counter.

miss_supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
You need a pro card to get a discount.

i love freelancing because you work when you want to and you get to work with different artist. But you have to do what's best for you. I have a full time job so right now, freelancing is best for me. Although I do miss being at the counter.

Depends on the region for discounts. In my region we get 20% discount if we have worked 30 days prior to the purchase.

In my region we get two different hourly rates. One working as 'on-call,' which means work as if we were a regular MAC employe at the store or counter. Then we have a different hourly rate as 'freelance,' which means doing back-to-back make overs.

We get no health benefits or anything.

I would check with the regional manager with your questions.

miss_supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
I'd say perms get more benefits than freelancers in general, right?

Very true, and that is in any region too.

breeknee

I know that some places they only hire freelance and then you have to work up to perm unless they really need someone then. So in some regions you don't really have a choice. I like the flexibility and the fact that they don't just hire anyone, it creates a better atmosphere because you don't have anyone who doesn't 100% want to be there, and everyone is always on their game.

Perks weren't explained to me, but I know you don't get gratis as a freelancer, however they will do things for people so that they don't have to purchase an upcoming collection they are working a launch for. A girl I met works as a freelancer in Orlando and she gets samples for all of the events if she goes in a few days before the event she's working. Otherwise they have you come in early before the event to put the look on and I'm assuming you use testers.

minakokanmuri

this is a really interesting thread, b/c i'm seriously considering working at MAC when I'm older. But I need to clarify: what's the difference between a freelance and a permanent mua? thanks.

breeknee

A freelancer or freelance/on-call is someone who is called in for events, or when they are short staffed or need extra help, like around holidays.

A permanent employee is just a regular employee, which could be full time or part time.

Latest posts