How long did it take you to build your collection, and how?

jamie89

I have been spending a lot of time in "The Traincase" section of the forums and WOW. I am amazed at (and oh-so-jealous of
tong.gif
) some collections! I am 19 and have always loved makeup, but recently started "collecting". I have probably 20 eyeshadows, 4 blushes, 2 pigments, 1 foundation, 1 eyeliner (!!), 3 lipliners, 5 lipsticks, 6 lipglosses and other assorted products. I want to build my collection but don't know how to go about doing this - being a college student doesn't help either (and a musical theatre major, no less! ha, I will be poor after school too!)

So my question is this! How long did it take you to build your collections? How did you go about collecting? If you have pictures of your collections that would be awesome to put a collection to the name
smiles.gif
Thanks ladies and gents! Just thought it'd be interesting.

GlamYOURUs

I have been a collector for years but not a big fanatic. For years, I would buy shadows here and there but never a solid collection until Holiday 2007.

That is when I started to buy everything in bulk and that is when I joined this site that made me crazy. hahaha I now have a pretty heavy duty collection due to my spending habits at the counter and online. And I have bought so much from members on here as well. I haven't taken any pics yet and I don't think I would want to b/c I am modest and I don't want to come off like I am bragging. You get me? Although I am positive my collection doesn't exceed the trillion members on here who have been collector for years. Its just me and the way I am.

makeba

my collection started last year and i have a pretty decent start. i have purchased online, mac stores, cco(favorite place to start or just period) and specktra divas. a lot of people of really large collection and have been collecting for years. these things take time and money so just pace yourself and you will get it like you like it (your young and vibrant!!!)

KikiB

I really started building my collection last year...I wasn't buying to collect though, I was buying to have makeup in the first place because I had very little and I pitched anything from a drugstore. Now I'm buying several pieces of makeup a month, between the CCO, online stuff, and counters. I don't have the funds to do the huge hauls that a lot of people do though.

bebs

I've been "collecting" mac and other high end make-up, for about 4 some odd years now I believe. With most everything I buy I do use thats why I don't really want to say it that way, the only pieces that I have ever bought from mac for a "collection" is my pigments that, I can say a few of them I doubt I'll use often at all, however beside that I can say that if its not getting the proper love it gets tossed in the bin to go to a new loving home.

I would say to anybody asking about how people can afford it.. don't focus on collecting, focus on what you will use in the long run.

aziajs

I have been slowly collecting for about 3 or 4 years. I had a few things before that but just liner, foundation, concealer, etc. I came into some money a few years ago and really kicked it into overdrive and lost my mind. My spending since then has really depended on how much money I was making. Right now, I am not making much so my spending has slowed down quite a bit. I have some pics. They are about 2 years old now. But, they will give you some idea as to what I am working with...although it's probably doubled since then.

http://specktra.net/f185/my-new-hq-p...62/#post308670

coachkitten

I have been into MAC since 2001 but really started building a good sized collection in 2004 when I finally graduated from college and got a good paying job.
smiles.gif

SparklingWaves

I have gone through stages with makeup. I went through a pastel, neutral, dramatic and a colorful phase. Now, I have all colors, because I don't like to be locked into a certain look.

I guess. I would have to say that my latest collect is about 3 years old. A good bit of it has been purchased for me by relatives as gifts. I just add hints of things that complement the existing collection by a few lines. It's really nice that way, because I am not tempted to buy huge hauls. I got my bases covered with some really outstanding colors.

It feels wonderful having a really well organized and working collection. It's like being able to wear the finest of jewelry and clothes everyday. It's quite a pick me up for the day.

It will not take you long to get a working collection. Buy the essentials and build from there. Let people know that you need makeup and they will give gift certificates or even buy the colors you need. You will have a wonderful jewelry like case of makeup before you know it.
smiles.gif

FiestyFemme

I discovered MAC right before I turned 18, and I've been slowly building my collection over the last 5 years. If I can, I buy a few pieces a month, but some months I don't buy anything. I'm not crazy over LE collections, so I don't feel obligated to buy things just because they'll disappear soon. Not to say I don't look forward to the collections, but usually I end up not being that impressed with it in person or able to talk myself out of the shades because they're similar to stuff I already own or from the permanent line. Also, I don't collect anything solely for the sake of collecting. I can't justify buying anything for the sake of saying I have it if I won't use it. I buy what I know I'll like and use... and over the years, I've definitely gotten better at picking things I know will work for me.

romi79_2008

I started in March, mostly on ebay and online. if you wait on ebay you can get good deals, ranging from 6-12$ for an eyeshadow. I started with the permanent stuff, es, ls(b2m) foundation, powder, blushes, pp, fluidlines and now I `m getting to collections and here is where I got into trouble
My focus were the eyeshadows, is hard to get a lot from everything, so I got a black and brown fluidline and skipped the liners

purrtykitty

I don't collect, per se. Everything I buy I use. I first started buying MAC when I was a freshman in college, but we didn't have a counter then, so it was only here or there. Then once we got a counter (a couple years later), I started buying more, so it took me a while to build up. So, I guess I've been collecting for about 9 years
shockt.gif
(Eep, I can't believe it's been that long!) But really, most of the "damage" has been done these past 2-3 years (since that's when I've not been working...I've had more time to dedicate to online shopping, lol...and then when I joined Specktra, whoo boy!!)

pratbc

I started collecting MAC in '95 when I was a junior in high school. There has always been a freestanding store in my local mall (5 minutes away). So, that is pretty much where I have gotten everything from. Unfortunately, most of the older items which I had collected are now gone due to countless moves and a nasty divorce (my ex stuck all my m/up in an un-air conditioned storage unit which I didn't have access to for 6 months). Its a shame because most of my really rare items were destroyed (i.e. quite a few screw top shadows).
Basically I just started a little at a time. Through high school and college whenever I had money I would buy MAC. Then when I graduated college and got a "real" job, I started buying more and more. Now, I am once again trying to rebuild my collection.

elektra513

I first got into MAC in 2005 when I was graduating from college and needed a face for the ceremony. Then I was hooked for a little while, but fell off (I also have a hair product obsession, lol). In the past year I guess I've been on specktra a lot more, and I've been hardcore collection building since the beginning of the year. I got a short-term, well-paying job and went crazy. Now I am in a good-paying long-term job, and have mostly what I want so now I can just get a few pieces every month or so. I'm not into the LE stuff so much, and just buy what I like and will use so that everything I have goes together and so I have options. I alternate my spending on MAC and Nars, but I'm trying to branch out into other lines...

If I look back to last year when I took a pic of the beginnings of my stash, I'd be shocked how quickly I've accumulated stuff. I've been through a lot since Dec, and this hobby of mine kept me sane...I love my makeup
smiles.gif

CoralBlast

i don't collect, i just love make up and not just mac whatever i like i work up excuses to get it (example:i need this it's essential ) but the massive buying began with mac in 2005 and now it has reached the point where i can't use all of it every day unless i go out with body make up to work and i doubt my students will see it well or the headmistress for that matter.

i just get frustrated when i have to reorganize to fit stuff so often and i am always running out of room!!

Shaquille

I don't have pics of my stash but anywhoo I am having a collection..

I've got like 15 pigment samples, 15 eyeshadows and some paint pot samples, and many more.
It doesn't look a lot compared to what most of girls have here in specktra, but it does look a lot in my little shelf.

I started collecting this year in March or something. I buy sample sizes from my friends who are addicts. That's how I have my varieties. And now I love swapping on MUA though I don't find a lot, as well as looking at Specktra's Clearance Bin

MacPinkFlamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkitten
I have been into MAC since 2001 but really started building a good sized collection in 2004 when I finally graduated from college and got a good paying job.
smiles.gif

So so so true! Except for the fact that...A) I went onto graduate school and MOST noteworthy B) I earned a master's degree in a field that I am no longer willing to work in...My advice, job shadow several people before you pick a profession. So I still have not got that post-college job. Nonetheless, I still buy makeup as if I did have that job!
winks.gif

I started collecting MAC in 2001, and have been frivolously flirting with bankruptcy ever since. Hang in there, Ramen Noodles make a traincase happy!
tong.gif

MAC_Whore

I have been using MAC since about 93?? Can't remember. I buy, I give away and/or B2M, so my amount has a bit of ebb and flow to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlamYOURUs
....I haven't taken any pics yet and I don't think I would want to b/c I am modest and I don't want to come off like I am bragging.....

You, or any other member, shouldn't feel like you are bragging. The whole point of the Traincase section is to display your collection for others to review, ask questions about and discuss. It's pretty informational, actually.

Whether you post a ton of pics in FOTDs or the Traincase thread, you shouldn't be concerned about how others will perceive you on Specktra. We have some pretty classy members here. This is a snark-free zone and that's what makes it Specktra.

SkylarV217

I agree ^^^^

I've only been on Specktra a couple of months and made my first purchase after that. I've gotten so much advice and guidance from specktra I only have a small collection and wanted to share it with the ladies that helped me decided what I wanted to buy .... Even though my collection is small I have gotten a ton positive feed back.

I see it as more of sharing that boasting.... The ladies are soo sweet and even if they have 50 x more than I do ( which most do) they tell me how great my collection is lol and that I have really good pigment choices... It's a GREAT community !

PS- I'm a college student as well... and specktra sales and CCO's are very helpful in building a collection !

I even got a 2006 palette off of MUA as a RAOK ... =)

myystiqueen

How long have you been collecting MAC??

So basically.. i'm far from being a macaholic... i even just started using makeup 3 months ago... so basically... i'm a complete MAC virgin....

however... i managed to get some basic starter kit...

i only have like 18 e/s, 2 pro pan palettes, 6 brushes, a brush cleanser (if that counts), 1 fluidline and 1 blush... i got 'em all within a month.. i can't seem to get enough every time i get into the store.... i

so uhm.. i'm just wondering how long it took you to have your room surrounded by MAC, MAC and MAC..... do you budget yourself every month??

please convince me that i don't need to buy all of the things i want straightaway.. convince me that it takes a while for all of you to get those lovely MAC collections.... *envies*

Latest posts