How long did it take you to build your collection, and how?

sfmakeupjunkie

My makeup collection in general is embarrassing but the MAC portion is downright obscene. I have been a MAC and general makeup junkie since 91 and so I try hard to justify my collection (that it has accumulated over time) but most friends who have actually seen it are shocked into silence.

I do budget myself and have gotten much better about not buying blatant dupes just because they are new and pretty but I do fall prey to some collections. I think that over time I have switched back and forth from buying a lot of eyeshadow to lip stuff and back again.

My saving grace is that I do a major purge about every six months. I go through my entire collection and weed out products that don't work or stuff that I just don't seem to use ever. I Back 2 Mac a lot of it and give the rest to happy friends.

I think every girl has a thing that they love and will spend their hard earned cash on and for me its makeup. I have some friends that are handbag addicted or maybe its shoes and clothes.

Regardless I think if you set a budget, keep a list of items you want, clean out your collection from time to time, and organize well you will have a great collection within 6 months to a year.

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmakeupjunkie
My makeup collection in general is embarrassing but the MAC portion is downright obscene. I have been a MAC and general makeup junkie since 91 and so I try hard to justify my collection (that it has accumulated over time) but most friends who have actually seen it are shocked into silence.

I do budget myself and have gotten much better about not buying blatant dupes just because they are new and pretty but I do fall prey to some collections. I think that over time I have switched back and forth from buying a lot of eyeshadow to lip stuff and back again.

My saving grace is that I do a major purge about every six months. I go through my entire collection and weed out products that don't work or stuff that I just don't seem to use ever. I Back 2 Mac a lot of it and give the rest to happy friends.

I think every girl has a thing that they love and will spend their hard earned cash on and for me its makeup. I have some friends that are handbag addicted or maybe its shoes and clothes.

Regardless I think if you set a budget, keep a list of items you want, clean out your collection from time to time, and organize well you will have a great collection within 6 months to a year.

I definitely agree with the bold. I think it's easy to get caught up when you're on this board because of all the collections that are always coming out, and when people post haul threads or collection threads or pics. I was able to splurge a few times to build up my collection quickly, but over time I only plan on buying what I will use, keep everything organized to prevent dupes and stay realistic about my own situation. I am coming close to having everything I 'need' (lol!) in my collection, so I plan on taking a spending break soon and just "shop my stash" for a while. I think that will keep my interest in the makeup.

elektra513

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
I have been using MAC since about 93?? Can't remember. I buy, I give away and/or B2M, so my amount has a bit of ebb and flow to it.

You, or any other member, shouldn't feel like you are bragging. The whole point of the Traincase section is to display your collection for others to review, ask questions about and discuss. It's pretty informational, actually.

Whether you post a ton of pics in FOTDs or the Traincase thread, you shouldn't be concerned about how others will perceive you on Specktra. We have some pretty classy members here. This is a snark-free zone and that's what makes it Specktra.

Thanks for this! A lot of times when ppl post their stash on like YT or other places, there's comments that can make you feel uncomfy or regret showing what you have. I think if I ever do decide to post an updated pic of my stuff, it'll definitely only be posted here. The folks here can understand and relate to the addiction, and that's so great
thmbup.gif

Jennifae

Specktra Bestie
I've been a makeup addict since the 90's, but it wasn't until 2010 that I fell down the MAC rabbit hole. It didn't take very long before my stash got too big. A few months, I think. It all started with a trip to the CCO and a couple of LE collections.

geeko

about 8 yrs for me . i've been through no make up buying phrases during this 8 yrs of buying as well

Latest posts