Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

honeyjr

I was wondering if anyone owns Hakuhodo brushes and could comment on them. They're the OEM suppliers of numerous well known cosmetics companies including MAC.
I heard that they're really good but check out some of the prices! Still, I am curious about their own line...

Thanks

Hakuhodo USA

MACLovin

Wow!! Some of those are crazy expensive!

Maybe this has something to do with it.
Quote:
The ferrules are made of brass-rolled 24-karat gold with clear coating

shockt.gif

I dunno, I don't need THAT much brush.. I'll wear the gold as jewelry, I can pass on the gold makeup brushes..
tong.gif
They are nice though!

reesesilverstar

Yea Elke spoke about these on her blog raving on how soft they were... I was game till I went to the site and saw the prices... WOOOOO!!!

elektra513

I see some brushes here VERY similar to Nars brushes! Eeep. But they're about the same price so I guess it doesn't really matter...Some cost even a bit more than his.

-moonflower-

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesilverstar
Yea Elke spoke about these on her blog raving on how soft they were... I was game till I went to the site and saw the prices... WOOOOO!!!

Haha, they're around the same prices as MAC brushes are over here!

reesesilverstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by -moonflower-
Haha, they're around the same prices as MAC brushes are over here!

Really? Wow... Well, go Ireland! lol!

user79

Anyone tried any of their brushes and can recommend some? I want to try some of these out.

naijapretty

there was a thread in the industry forum and an artist there said he had them and they were lovely. I believe he said he had brushes form the Kokutan series (the really expensive flat face brushes). I did also see a positive review on a site for the Basic and K series.

I haven't heard anything bad about them from any of the MUAs I've asked, they all gush about Hakuhodo. They also have different lines, but some of their other lines are the same prices as some MAC, Smashbox, NARS and Shu Uemura brushes. I'm definitely getting some once I get some cash, I've been lemming for them for over 4 months.

LatteQueen

Dang..for those prices..those brushes better do a Cris Angel magic and apply my makeup magically to my face...Impeccable Blending to the hilt..

user79

I have to say these brushes are fantastic and of very high quality. They are all handmade and I found an article online that has a few pics of how they are made in Japan:

PingMag MAKE - The Japan-based interview magazine about “Making things” Archive Makeup Brushes from the land of the Calligraphy Brush

The brushes are made in a traditional brush making method and go through many steps until the end result. It's very impressive and is of great craftsmanship. They are the softest brushes I've ever owned.

I like them better than many of my MAC brushes, even though Hakuhodo produces MAC brushes. The Hakuhodo original brand ones are better imo, the brush hairs are of a higher grade and are much softer. I guess b/c MAC tells them what kind of hair and what price point they want them at, so they make their brushes to MAC's specifications.

I can't say enough good things about them. I absolutely love them and have reorganized my brush holders and put many of my other brushes away in a box for storage to make room for these ones.

About prices: Yes they are rather pricey overall but there's a wide variety of series and price points. The Basics series has some very affordable prices, in fact many are about the same price as MAC brushes here in Europe. If you can afford it, the S-100 series are an absolute dream, although many of the S-100 brush heads are exactly the same just put on the Basics series handle, so you can get them a bit cheaper. On the website, it will tell you which are the exact dupes of the brush heads just on a less expensive handle. Also have to remember that these are made in Japan and are each hand made and none of the end hairs are cut. The hair is of the highest quality, all the lesser quality hair gets removed manually with a fine comb. These aren't some "sweatshop" Made in China cheap quality stuff that gets machine cut.

I would say if you make a first purchase, I wouldn't only buy the $15 brushes to save money, you will not fully appreciate the quality of the brushes and you might think, ok what's the big fuss about? I would honestly save up and buy maybe just one of the more luxurious brushes, that is where they excel and where the difference is most noticeable. Honestly, they make my MAC brushes feel scratchy as hell!

Cinci

This may be a silly question.. but some of the brushes say the hairs are "canada squirrell", etc. like, real squirrels???? I dont know how it would be possible to get the fur off a squirrel without hurting/killing it.. I know MAC had goat hair brushes, but that could easily be shaved off a goat without hurting it.. but a squirrel????????

naijapretty

So, I just got my brushes 2 days ago, and they're gorgeous. I got mine from the K series, which is about the same price range of MAC, Shu and Smashbox. But these are better, I've found the holy grail of tight-lining brushes. Very excellent quality. I'm a bit stumped by their cleaning methods they recommend, but I've decided not to use brush-cleanser on them (or on any of my brushes), it's going to be washing only.

And the shipping was fast.

shatteredshards

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Situation
just curious as to why my mac brushes say made in france then?

Not all of them are; all of my MAC brushes were purchased at counters or the Mall of America store, and my 217, 219, 222, and 239 are all made in Japan, my 208 is made in France, and my 209 is made in the US.

Latest posts