Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

Lissloo

New User
@anyabeaute
Hi, if you want to compare brushes Sonia's blog (and brush temple) normally has really good info and comparisons. There are lots of piccies at this link.
http://brushtemple.sweetmakeuptemptations.com/items/show/218
Just bear in mind that the sheer crease is goat hair (http://delicatehummingbird.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/paula-dorf-sheer-crease-brush.html) and that in general the Haku G brushes that look the same are actually squirrel (softer application) and their white J brushes are goat.
The 142 is probably the best fit (I don't have the sheer crease brush but I do have a lot of hakuhodo blenders - I can post a pic of what I have if that helps!)

@shelygrrl: don't worry the 5533 definitely puffs out after a wash :)

lenchen

From left to right: K020, G5519, K002, G5518, B501,B505,B507,B509,B103,B110, and the K022.

Attachments

• Hakuhodo blush brushes.jpg
    Hakuhodo blush brushes.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,814

lenchen

Here's a close up of the blue squirrel brushes and my Kazan Squirrel highlighting brush
from left to right:K020,G5519,K002, and G5518.

Attachments

• hakuhodo squirel brushes.jpg
    hakuhodo squirel brushes.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 3,279
Last edited:

lenchen

These are my Hakuhodo highlighting brushes
from left to right:G5537, G5538,G5521,G511,212,214

Attachments

• hakuhodo highlight brushes.jpg
    hakuhodo highlight brushes.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 3,720

lenchen

Hakuhodo foundation and powder brushes from left to right: B104, G527, J554,J4001, J4002,G5557 2mm,and the G5554 4mm

Second photo is the 210 brush, I ordered a second one since it will be discontinued.

Attachments

• hakuhodo foundation brushes.jpg
    hakuhodo foundation brushes.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,732
  • hakuhodo 109 brush.jpg
    hakuhodo 109 brush.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 2,695
Last edited:

lenchen

closer look at the blue squirrel and Goat brushes.
From left to right: B501, B505,B507, and B509. I have 4 face brushes left on my hakuhodo wish list.

Attachments

• blue squirrel and goat brushes.jpg
    blue squirrel and goat brushes.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,678

janette9687

Lenchen, I know exactly how that is I have been investing in hakuhodo brushes for about 4 years now too! I love your extensive face collections can you give some insight one your fave blush and powder brushes. Intrested on your thoughts of the G5518, G5519, and B505

I already have the K020, K002 and the B509 what other face brushes do you have left?

My next Wishlist is to get some kokutan brushes! I have 4 on my Wishlist after visiting the flag store in Hiroshima

janette9687

HI everyone!

I have been absent from this thread but I am back in Japan! I finally took the plunge to go to the flagship store in Hiroshima, it's really neat because it's also their factory. It looks completely like a house instead. It's in the small town of Kumuno so I took the long way and took me a $50 cab but so worth it. I'll post pics image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
the last pic is what I got, I got a Hiroshia Flagstore exclusive set with sparkly lavender handles and the Tradtional brushes finally because I was able to compare in store. The Japanese store has more versions than the US website there are actually 8 sizes to the Itabake brush! I got the

Hiroshima Exclusive Brush Set – Lavender handles (13,932 JPY)
G5544- Powder Brush Angled Blue Squirrel/Goat
G5545- Blush brush Round Blue Squirrel/ Goat
B004- Eyeshadow brush Pine Squirrel
J144- Eye Shadow brush Horse

Japanese Traditional Brushes
Mizubake- Goat (4644 JPY)
Yachiyo Tapered- Large (4320 JPY)
Yachiyo Round- Large (4,104 JPY)
Itabake 45 Medium- (5400 JPY)
Itabake 30L (4536 JPY)

lenchen

Lenchen, I know exactly how that is I have been investing in hakuhodo brushes for about 4 years now too! I love your extensive face collections can you give some insight one your fave blush and powder brushes. Intrested on your thoughts of the G5518, G5519, and B505

I already have the K020, K002 and the B509 what other face brushes do you have left?

My next Wishlist is to get some kokutan brushes! I have 4 on my Wishlist after visiting the flag store in Hiroshima

My favourite powder brushes are the B104, G527M, and the B509. The B504 is large, dense and so soft! I love it so much that I immediately ordered a back up of both the b504 and the 509, that was back in 2011. The G527M blends powder products like a dream! The price jump for the new un-dyed brushes are insane!! I'm glad I backed them up. The blush brushes, I love blush brushes! I rotate between a few my top favorites. Those are the B505,G5519, and the k022. When those are dirty I use the othe blush brushes in my collection, I'm slow on brush cleaning lol! I love the B505 brush,it was the very first blush brush I ordered from Hakuhodo in 2010, along with the G5519 which is the same brush as the B505 in terms of shape and size. The only difference is the B505 is a blue Squirrel/goat mix, it takes frequent washings and the G5519 is blue squirrel, super soft, but the downside to the blue squirrel brushes, is they cannot be washed too often. I love the G5519, but the B505 gets more use for that reason. it's a nice to have brush, not necessarily a must have. I love the k022 brush, I use it as much as the B505,I often grab and use it when I'm traveling which was quite a bit in the last few years. The G5518 brush I use it for highlighting, I love it so much! I use it quite bit more so than I originally thought! I couldn't believe how much the price went up on this one! I use it in rotation with the G5521 brush.
I have 4 face brushes left on my Hakuhodo wish list.
Japanese traditional brush
Yachiyo brush tapered large
G5545 BKSL brush I want to get the version they're discontinuing. I haven't seen too many reviews on this one
Kokutan kinoko large brush C- the kabuki brush
Kokutan Finishing brush large

My remaining 4 face brushes from my wish list are Chikuhodo. BTW, i like your signature, the last few years, I've been on low buy with make-up, focusing on K skincare, and tools (brushes) and using the make-up I already own.

Last edited:

lenchen

HI everyone!

I have been absent from this thread but I am back in Japan! I finally took the plunge to go to the flagship store in Hiroshima, it's really neat because it's also their factory. It looks completely like a house instead. It's in the small town of Kumuno so I took the long way and took me a $50 cab but so worth it. I'll post pics View attachment 56332 View attachment 56333 View attachment 56334
the last pic is what I got, I got a Hiroshia Flagstore exclusive set with sparkly lavender handles and the Tradtional brushes finally because I was able to compare in store. The Japanese store has more versions than the US website there are actually 8 sizes to the Itabake brush! I got the

Hiroshima Exclusive Brush Set – Lavender handles (13,932 JPY)
G5544- Powder Brush Angled Blue Squirrel/Goat
G5545- Blush brush Round Blue Squirrel/ Goat
B004- Eyeshadow brush Pine Squirrel
J144- Eye Shadow brush Horse

Japanese Traditional Brushes
Mizubake- Goat (4644 JPY)
Yachiyo Tapered- Large (4320 JPY)
Yachiyo Round- Large (4,104 JPY)
Itabake 45 Medium- (5400 JPY)
Itabake 30L (4536 JPY)

I'm curious to see the size of the Mizubake brush, i'm having a hard time impinging what the size is in real life

Last edited:

janette9687

My favourite powder brushes are the B104, G527M, and the B509. The B504 is large, dense and so soft! I love it so much that I immediately ordered a back up of both the b504 and the 509, that was back in 2011. The G527M blends powder products like a dream! The price jump for the new un-dyed brushes are insane!! I'm glad I backed them up. The blush brushes, I love blush brushes! I rotate between a few my top favorites. Those are the B505,G5519, and the k022. When those are dirty I use the othe blush brushes in my collection, I'm slow on brush cleaning lol! I love the B505 brush,it was the very first blush brush I ordered from Hakuhodo in 2010, along with the G5519 which is the same brush as the B505 in terms of shape and size. The only difference is the B505 is a blue Squirrel/goat mix, it takes frequent washings and the G5519 is blue squirrel, super soft, but the downside to the blue squirrel brushes, is they cannot be washed too often. I love the G5519, but the B505 gets more use for that reason. it's a nice to have brush, not necessarily a must have. I love the k022 brush, I use it as much as the B505,I often grab and use it when I'm traveling which was quite a bit in the last few years. The G5518 brush I use it for highlighting, I love it so much! I use it quite bit more so than I originally thought! I couldn't believe how much the price went up on this one! I use it in rotation with the G5521 brush.
I have 4 face brushes left on my Hakuhodo wish list.
Japanese traditional brush
Yachiyo brush tapered large
G5545 BKSL brush I want to get the version they're discontinuing. I haven't seen too many reviews on this one
Kokutan kinoko large brush C- the kabuki brush
Kokutan Finishing brush large

My remaining 4 face brushes from my wish list are Chikuhodo. BTW, i like your signature, the last few years, I've been on low buy with make-up, focusing on K skincare, and tools (brushes) and using the make-up I already own.

I'm curious to see the size of the Mizubake brush, i'm having a hard time impinging what the size is in real life

when I went to Hiroshima to the hakuhodo counter I looked the g5519 and b505 they're really dense I may decide to pick one up since they're very pricey but I also want the kokutan brushes I took pics of them. I did a comparison and the larger one is the same as the k001 it just has a blend of blue squirrel and synthetic bristles so I may go for the larger paddle shaped one it's only a couple dollars more anyways
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
I wanna use the last two for highlight and setting my concealer especially because it's so soft
once I get to my place I will take pics of the mizabake I'm currently stuck on a train becaus of flash flooding it kinda reminds me of the Mac 183 kabuki brush but not as dense and the shape of the b104 I bought for foundation but I gravitate right now to the Itabake 45 and it blends flawless and beautiful

i actually reach for my g5545 the most it's my go to for blush been more then my k002 it's fool proof and it's soft yet can be used more because of the blue squirrel and goat mix, I got a second one in the lavender set which I am enjoying the g5544 and it was a pleasant surprise I like that brush for both powder and blush. That set was amazing I wished they had that online. I got another one with the j110 that I recently gave to my sister but this one shape doesn't taper as much it's more fluffy and have beautiful white with rose gold glitter handles and rose gold fertile soil eeek I'll post pics soon as well they came with a standing brush stand that folds into a pouch

lenchen

when I went to Hiroshima to the hakuhodo counter I looked the g5519 and b505 they're really dense I may decide to pick one up since they're very pricey but I also want the kokutan brushes I took pics of them. I did a comparison and the larger one is the same as the k001 it just has a blend of blue squirrel and synthetic bristles so I may go for the larger paddle shaped one it's only a couple dollars more anyways
View attachment 56444 View attachment 56445 View attachment 56446 View attachment 56447
I wanna use the last two for highlight and setting my concealer especially because it's so soft
once I get to my place I will take pics of the mizabake I'm currently stuck on a train becaus of flash flooding it kinda reminds me of the Mac 183 kabuki brush but not as dense and the shape of the b104 I bought for foundation but I gravitate right now to the Itabake 45 and it blends flawless and beautiful

i actually reach for my g5545 the most it's my go to for blush been more then my k002 it's fool proof and it's soft yet can be used more because of the blue squirrel and goat mix, I got a second one in the lavender set which I am enjoying the g5544 and it was a pleasant surprise I like that brush for both powder and blush. That set was amazing I wished they had that online. I got another one with the j110 that I recently gave to my sister but this one shape doesn't taper as much it's more fluffy and have beautiful white with rose gold glitter handles and rose gold fertile soil eeek I'll post pics soon as well they came with a standing brush stand that folds into a pouch
I'm loving the Kokutan brush pics you posted! now i'm thinking of scrapping the kokutan finishing brush large from my last and replace it with the last two brushes you posted as I don't own brushes with a similar head shapes. Thank you for your review on the G5545 brush, i'll go ahead and order it. The B505 you'll get a lot of use of since it's a mix of blue squirrel and goat, the G5519 is blue squirrel.

Last edited:

Latest posts