Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

Alakazam

i love my hakuhodo brush 210 (200 series) its 109 of MAC, but this one is way better
smiles.gif
i love it with liquid and cream foundation. their brushes are good quality and the shipping is really fast. they never failed me.

Hakuhodo Yachiyo Brush (Left) Hakuhodo Blush brush 210 (right)

Iphonepics023.jpg

Junkie

I bought the S103 series brush (the domed brush with the 24K gold ferrule). It really is the softest, most gorgeous brush I have ever owned. I tried it once with foundation and didn't like the way it applied, so I researched more into it and signed into a live chat MissChievous was having from her blog and she recommended blush or contouring rather than liquid foundation.

I got it from Toronto IMATS for $76. If you paid in cash it was Canadian, but if you paid by credit card it was U.S. Its the same price on the site, so there were no discounts, but its still worth every penny. I've never seen or felt the craftsmanship in any other brand ever. The gold adds to its prestige, but like MissChievous said above, you can buy from the lower series and still have the same quality at a lesser cost.

Bjarka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatteQueen
Dang..for those prices..those brushes better do a Cris Angel magic and apply my makeup magically to my face...Impeccable Blending to the hilt..

th_roll1.gif
very funny

Thinking paying for gold on the brush is a bit much... but the prizes on some of the other lines are not too bad. Similar to most high end brand brushes.

Ingenue

I have a lovely little Hakuhodo collection... purchased one brush at a time (lol). They are STUNNING. But a lot of them are animal hair, so if you have an issue with that, stick with the synthetics. Actually, they make synthetics too...

My goats hair foundation blender is THE BUSINESS. I swear by it. Seriously... best foundation brush I've EVER had.
100_3043.JPG

But that sucker was 81.00, so I fully understand someone falling out over the prices.

Steel Magnolia

^^ Its so gorgeous! Hmm... My birthday is coming up.. Which Hakuhodo brushes should I check out? Which series and which models?

Ingenue

I prefer the brushes with the ebony wood finish and the red ones with the black bottoms. That's just a preference though.

You should definitely get the lil' goats hair foundation blender. When I tell you that I've never met a better foundation brush, I am NOT kidding. The G257 is lovely if you just want a kick ass powder brush that blends down EVERYTHING. It's an unusual brush and does a really nice job for a heavy hand. It is NOT a light touch powder brush though. The bristles are stiff but soft.

DO NOT use it to blend foundation ... I'm still getting cussed out by the Hakuhodo lady for suggesting it 'cause I saw pixiwoo Sam doing it.
ssad.gif
That woman was NOT happy. The bristles on the G257 are dyed, and will fade if you use it for foundations or liquid/cream products regularly. That brush is 54.00. Not a good idea to ruin it... yanno?

I tend to get Hakuhodo brushes in shapes and sizes that I find unusual and appealing. I was a big Shu Uemura brush fan prior, and I'm really impressed with Hakuhodo. Besides selling awesome brushes, their customer service is unmatched. Very nice people... very accomodating. I highly recommend it if you've got the coin to spare.

Steel Magnolia

Thank you so much! €54 is the cost of a 150/134 mac brush - I cant remember which one but I think I can stretch my budget a little.

Yvet

Reading this threat and wondering for a week which brand (MAC, NARS, local brand) to buy, I just ordered:

1 ea. Kokutan Eye Shadow Brush T
1 ea. Kokutan Eye Shadow Brush S
1 ea. Kokutan Eye Shadow Brush WM 0
1 ea. Kokutan Eye Shadow Brush SL
1 ea. Kokutan Eye Brow Brush
1 ea. Yachiyo, Medium Pointed 0
1 ea. S142 Eye Shadow Brush round
Seems a little bit overdone on the eyes, but my pencils were a little bit out of date, quality and shape..... I'm really looking foreward on the Yachiyo for blush and highlights though. Can't wait to receive the package and try them.
Hope customs do have a holiday break......Otherwise i''l have a serious food issue at the end of the month...;-)

Let you know my first impression...

Ingenue

Congrats on your brush purchase! I love those brushes. Seriously. They are definitely my favorites.

Busttamuv3

Would definitely like to try a brush or two in the future because I've heard rave reviews on their quality...but they are definitely expensive luxury items ...i would have difficulty justifying their purchase because its not like you can keep them in pristine condition forever if you are the type to use it on a daily basis.

Shypo

I appreciate all of the recommendations! Ingenue, I love that brush in your pic - it's out of stock right now. As is one of the angled blush brushes I have my eye on. I have a list ready to go - just have to figure out what makeup is going to get bumped to the bottom of the list
girlhaha.gif

Yvet, I'll look forward to hearing what you think - and I hope you don't end up with a serious food problem at the end of the month!
winks.gif

Yvet

I finally got them this week and the packaging is like small present. Comes in a cute pink box where I can store them in. Shipment value was not more then $28 according to Hakuhodo, so no custom issues here
cheerleader.gif
. I took the time to try them before posting the message.

Ok, the Yachiyo medium brush was a little bit smaller then expected, but now I've tried it with the MAC semi precious goldstone it is just what I needed for highlighting and shadowing. It has a short, small handle compared with a regular blush brush, but I got used to it very fast. It feels delicate and precise. And the hair, never knew a goat could be this soft. Now I want the small and large as well...
The Kokutan serie is just be-au-ti-ful !! The wooden grip feels like babyhair!
The T brush with blue squirrel hair is a blending sucker, firm and very soft, like they used a million hairs. I can blend until my arm gets tired, but my eyelid wants more...
The S Brush is from Canadian Squirrel and is less firm (but still), and perfect for application and slight blending or highlight under the eyebrow, I love the size of it.
The SL Brush is made from weasel and makes it very firm and perfect for sharp lines and under the eyes. It blends kohl perfect. My MAC 219 is now most of the time unused..
The WM brush is also made from weasel and is therefore very firm/stiff but still very very soft. Perfect for liquid eye shadow all over the lid or even concealer.
The red with gold S142 with blue squirrel hair picks up the eyeshadow so easy, i never knew it was possible (could be the quality of my old brushes though..) and is soft soft soft, you would like to spoil your eyelids all day...

I could go on, but at the end of the line, there ultrasoft, firm as they should be, hairs are perfectly assembled and there are a lot of them. Favorite right now is the Yachiyo, also because of the looks and how it handles, but the quality of the hairs and how good it handles mineralized pigments. Not to much and blends beautiful.
Value for money? I would say yes, I have 4 MAC brushes in the same price range as Hakuhodo and I would say this is a level up in quality and finishing.

Keep in mind the handles are about 2-3 cm shorter then the MAC brushes. Easier in front of the mirror for personal use, but could be a little bit short for professional use on others.
Any questions...shoot!

A very happy with her new Hakuhodo brushes Yvette (and saving for more.....
2cents.gif
)

Yvet

Hi Shypo, they have the brush Ingenue has, is back in stock, only the handle is different: G543 Powder DR round

It's really a I need have this one!

Shypo

Thanks Yvet - guess it's time to place my order - I am so excited to try these!! Thanks for your awesome review!

Edit: OK, I did it - I took the plunge and ordered several brushes, including the 'T' and the red/gold S142 and the G543. I also ordered an angle blush brush (G504) and a couple of other more inexpensive eye shadow brushes. I do wish the site had more information, or more of a '360' view of the brush. It's also really hard to tell what use they're intended for, so I'm hoping I like everything. I am sure that I will.

Wow, Merry Christmas to me! I hope this doesn't become too much of an obsession - I'll have to give up one of my other makeup habits!
girlhaha.gif

Yvet

Wow, you bought the G543!! Congrats! Love to hear if you're as enthusiastic as Ingenue is with the 'blending sucker'. I think you're completely done with MAC Sonia Kashuk NARS whatever.....A few days from now and you'll spend your time only in front of the mirror...I know, been there..LOL.

Have fun and Happy holidays girl!

Yvet

Shypo

I got my brushes today!!!
th_partytime.gif
They are BEAUTIFUL!!!

I adore the G543! I cannot believe this brush!

Actually, I love all of the ones I bought! I cannot wait to use them tomorrow!!

User38

C! I am going to order the same brush plus a few more for Gladys.. she has very few brushes.. and also a few for myself.

these are excellent quality.. enjoy yours!!

WadeWilliam

Hey guys when it comes to makeup reviews I'm the biggest skeptic you Will find. I have used only Mac and Q&m brushes for almost six years But recently got fourteen Hakuhodo S100 series brushes and I am utterly In love the quality is flawless the brushes look stunning and work better Than anything I have ever used. I work on campaigns and magazine shoots and television and film etc And even the photographers and directors have commented on how little They have to do In post production they are amazing They are worth every cent

Latest posts