Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

bwella

Does anyone own the K022 powder brush? It's not as expensive as the other powder brushes for some reason.
Is it as soft as the white goat hair?

Jayjayy

Hey! I have the J146 and J5529. They are both phenomenal. The 146 is smaller than a MAC 217 and a bit more rounded, which is perfect for my smaller lid space. I don't know exactly what type of brush you want to use for a smokey eye, but I find it useful when working with darker colors that I dont get too spread out and overwhelm everything. If you have larger eyes I'd go one size bigger to a J142. Heres a picture of the J146, J5529 (good for a cut crease) and 217 for comparison. Hope this helps! Their brush selection is quite overwhelming!

image.jpeg

Heres the J146 and 217 up close

image.jpeg

Last edited:

awickedshape

Hey! I have the J146 and J5529. They are both phenomenal. The 146 is smaller than a MAC 217 and a bit more rounded, which is perfect for my smaller lid space. I don't know exactly what type of brush you want to use for a smokey eye, but I find it useful when working with darker colors that I don't want to get too spread out, like a deep black. If you have larger eyes I'd go one size bigger to a J142. Heres a picture of the J146, J5529 (good for a cut crease) and 217 for comparison. Hope this helps! Their brush selection is quite overwhelming!

View attachment 53849

Heres the J146 and 217 up close

View attachment 53850

Thank you so much!
It is overwhelming lol
I only have the j146 eye brush so far.

shellygrrl

Staff member
The J5529 is great for outer corner work, too (also: inner corner highlight placement or smoking out the lower lashline). I have that one and the J142 and J146. Those three would be fab for creating a smoky eye.

Navigating the Hakuhodo site can be overwhelming, definitely. For me, I found the most helpful thing was to pay attention to brush shapes. I also found the Brush Temple at Sweet Makeup Temptations super useful; Sonia's got loads Hakuhodo brushes (along with other brands, Japanese and otherwise).

http://brushtemple.sweetmakeuptemptations.com

awickedshape

The J5529 is great for outer corner work, too (also: inner corner highlight placement or smoking out the lower lashline). I have that one and the J142 and J146. Those three would be fab for creating a smoky eye.

Navigating the Hakuhodo site can be overwhelming, definitely. For me, I found the most helpful thing was to pay attention to brush shapes. I also found the Brush Temple at Sweet Makeup Temptations super useful; Sonia's got loads Hakuhodo brushes (along with other brands, Japanese and otherwise).

http://brushtemple.sweetmakeuptemptations.com

Thank you!
Yes, I scoured the internet when I was placing my first order lol
I find even the j146 to be a bit large.
Haven't used it in a while.
Just checked my cart after a few months and I have the j232bksl, b004gbksl, g5514bksl, j533hbksl and j5529bksl there. Whew.

Prettypackages

I forgot to mention that I went to the store in CA. I was so overwhelmed, I walked away without a thing. LOL I couldn't decide what to get. LOL

Anneri

Does anyone know if Hakuhodo brushes are cruelty free or how the hair for the brushes is 'harvested' (for lack of a better word)? I tried to google that, but found nothing conclusive.

awickedshape

I forgot to mention that I went to the store in CA. I was so overwhelmed, I walked away without a thing. LOL I couldn't decide what to get. LOL

Lol

Does anyone know if Hakuhodo brushes are cruelty free or how the hair for the brushes is 'harvested' (for lack of a better word)? I tried to google that, but found nothing conclusive.

Their CS is so helpful, maybe you can get a definitive answer from them?

Anneri

Lol

Their CS is so helpful, maybe you can get a definitive answer from them?

That's a great idea AWS, thank you! I didn't think of that because I'm naturally wary of the 'ready made' answers CS is supposed to give customers, I recently have experienced that with EL CS - didn't answer my question at all, just some generic 'answer'.

awickedshape

That's a great idea AWS, thank you! I didn't think of that because I'm naturally wary of the 'ready made' answers CS is supposed to give customers, I recently have experienced that with EL CS - didn't answer my question at all, just some generic 'answer'.

I understand :)
I hope you get a proper answer

Texasgulfcoast

J5521 - I am looking for a tapered highlight brush and have decided on this one. However, there is also a squirrel version online. One indicating it will be discontinued and another one $20 more.
Do any one you have an understanding on what the big difference in the 2 squirrel versions?

shellygrrl

Staff member
J5521 - I am looking for a tapered highlight brush and have decided on this one. However, there is also a squirrel version online. One indicating it will be discontinued and another one $20 more.
Do any one you have an understanding on what the big difference in the 2 squirrel versions?

J5521 = white goat hair

B/G5521 (d/c version) = blue squirrel and black (Saichoho) goat

B5521 (new) = blue squirrel and (from the looks of it) white goat

The old and new B/G5521s still have blue squirrel hair, but the goat hairs are different. The black goat hair they use is Saichoho, which -- according to their knowledge base -- is rougher. Good for retaining the shape of a brush, but if you've got delicate skin, you may not be into that. On the other hand, they've got several different white goat hairs they use for brushes. Here's the knowledge base.

http://www.hakuhodousa.com/index.php?itemid=10&catid=3

I think the newer squirrel/goat hair brushes would be using either Jotsomeho (similar to Saichoho in that it's a bit rougher so would be provide more resistance and would help retain brush shape) or Saikoho (soft, but rare, which would explain the price increase). Wish I knew for sure which white goat hair they switched to, though.

Lissloo

New User
Hi Everyone,
I have fallen down the Hakuhodo rabbit hole........
I have an excel spreadsheet of Hakuhodo brushes and everything. My boyfriend thinks I am cray cray :crazy:
I have read all 35 pages of posts but I was wondering........does anyone have any suggestions for a blush brush? I'm looking for a MAC 116 and 129 type dupe. The whole reason I moved to japanese brushes was because these two MAC brushes that I have are starting to feel scratchy (my bad for starting a squirrel brush collection)
As a background I am really lucky - I do already have the Chikuhodo Z4,Z8, the Surratt Cheek and Sculpting brush, The Tom Ford cheek and Suqqu Cheek. From Hakuhodo I have the medium pointed yacchiyo and the G5545. I love little brushes that can build and blend but am looking for something delivering greater and quicker opacity than the squirrel brushes can offer for my blush pans with less pigmentation (e.g. some MAC blushes and some Benefit blushes).
Favourite I have so far is the Surratt Cheek because of its density and the slightly left out one is the TF cheek, because it is flat and dense I find it delivers too heavy an application for me (ha ha probably operator related rather than brush related!). Medium yacc is a little too on the scatchy side for me but close.
I have the Chikuhodo T4 and T5 on its way....I was tempted to try the pom pom shaped cheek for how much i enjoy the Surratt but conventionally have always loved the paddle shapes of the MAC brushes.
I have bummed and ahhhhd about the J110 but am worried about how much it seems to fluff up post wash and wonder if it would be too big for me. I don't mind black v white bristles but would probably choose white just for the softness. Want to use these for my light pigmented blushes so was thinking goat would be the best choice.
Was thinking of trying the
J110 ?this is too big for me?
Kokutan JSG
or B505 - again ?too big
or G5519 - wondered if the density of the squirrel might give a stronger application
or G5525
or G5536
I know this is a Haku thread but the other brushes I am googling are the Koyomo cheek and the Koyudo Canadian Squirrel.
I have to find the perfect brushes soon that I can stop spending all my time googling brushes!
Any help REALLY appreciated. If anyone has some of the brushes I have listed and the MACs would so love a comparison pic.
I have a lots of the eye brushes and MAC for comparison if anyone is interested.
Thankyou!!

shellygrrl

Staff member
Chikuhodo's T4 is my fave blush brush at the moment.

The TF Cheek, because it's so dense, would be well-suited for your less pigmented blushes. Give it a go before you make a purchasing decision. :yes:

Anyway, I don't have any of the Hakuhodo face brushes, so can't make a solid recommendation in that direction.

Lissloo

New User
Chikuhodo's T4 is my fave blush brush at the moment.

The TF Cheek, because it's so dense, would be well-suited for your less pigmented blushes. Give it a go before you make a purchasing decision. :yes:

Anyway, I don't have any of the Hakuhodo face brushes, so can't make a solid recommendation in that direction.

Ah thanks, I don't know why though, but I just can't get it to work for me with blush. I think because of its flat edge I use it perpendicular to the skin but it always applies too much that way, i think because the surface is flat rather than rounded. Maybe my face is too small for it!

shellygrrl

Staff member
You may need something a little bigger and less dense. Hrm... Something like the G501, maybe?

http://www.hakuhodousa.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=573

(The B505 may work for you, too.)

In the meantime, meet the latest additions to my Hakuhodo family: the J5523 and J5533.

2016-06-18%2016.37.43%20HDR-2_zpswmevk9fg.jpg

I was a bit surprised at the shape of the J5533. On the website it shows it as being fluffier, but mine is a bit more akin to the long-discontinued MAC 222. Maybe it'll fluff out a little bit once I've washed it and let it air dry.

I also learned that the reason they're redoing some of their brushes is that they've stopped dyeing their goat hairs.

Latest posts