Black Hair Dye - How To get It Out

shellygrrl

Staff member
Do you mean what I meant when I said that colour will not lift colour? If you put colour on top of black it will not make it lighter, nor will it change it to that colour.

Naughtyp

nothing will get black out your only choice is to strip your hair. I had this done a couple of years ago , my friends wife needed a hair model. she stripped my hair, and not even that removed all the black from my hair. my hair was like three different colors, I wanted my hair to be dark golden brown. it was orange brown and blonde streaks. I had to eventually dye it dark down to make it look normal. stripping my hair took over 4 hours, and the ends of my hair still feel like shit from it. I'd just leave it alone or go to a pro and expect to spend a lot of time and money!

mellarie

is there any "home remidies" ? i dont have the money to be going out to stores and buying that stuff.
ohboy.gif
and i really want to figure out what it used to look like because i died mine like 5 times. any suggestions?
hmm.gif
.... THANKS ! ;)

shellygrrl

Staff member
No home remedy will lift the black out of your hair. NONE. Save your money. Go to a salon. Leave it to the pros.

kimbunney

I'm going to agree. Nothing gets black out. I will NEVER dye my hair jet black again unless I never plan on dying it again. When I was 16 I dyed my hair like three years jet black. Then I decided hey let's go a dark blonde. I killed my hair, especially since AA hair is more brittle, dry in texture and going any kind of blonde on our hair kills. My hair was a mess but the only thing I could do was dye it darker like dark brown to even it out and let the color grow out. It take months before a good amount got out. Then I would dye it again myself until I had extremely blonde hair on top and my ends were orange looking (once again the color wasn't gone from previous times). Finally got sick of that look my hair was all patchy and just went to a professional. She even me out to a medium brown, with like auburn in it. I hated that look, but I suffered through it. I got antsy again and went back light brown and this time the color started taking normal, I did that a few months by myself until I murdered my hair and it was just fried from all the dying. Fast forward to this month I finally dyed it for the first time in like a 10 months. I can only get highlights, I got blonde and it showed fairly well, but I swear sometimes when I'm out in the sun I see orangey tips at the bottom of my hair. Just don't go black. Try dark brown but black is like perm.

stormm

yeah i dyed my hair black once and nothing got it out. i had to wait for a year before i could go back to my dark brown color

Maddiebear

For 4-5 years now I have been dyeing my hair monthly. (It may now sound like a long time, but it feels like forever.) My hair was naturally a light to medium brown, and I wanted a change, So I started dyeing it red-ish colors, that looked natural. I kept dying it those colors for about three and a half years, But then I decided I wanted to dye my hair black. I used Splat's Jet Black permanent hair color. Every month I had to keep redyeing it with the splat jet black, because it faded (maybe because of the shampoo I used...?) where-as, with the red I only redyed it because The roots needed it and I was too lazy to do the whole root-touch up thing. Anyways, Around Christmas time of 2012 I decided again, I wanted a change. So I went out and bought a Splat Lightning Bleach kit, and bleached a certain spot in the front. It bleached it to a very pale yellowy blonde- and the closer to the bottom it got, it faded to a red-ish color. So then as I had originally planned to do, I went out and got a pink dye and a blue dye, and then put them on. I loved it and it was exactly what I wanted. But then, because they were semi- permanent dyes, they started fading and it looked horrible, so I bought some more jet black and dyed it over.
Since June of this year I had been dyeing it black. But then I just stopped. However I got together with a friend about a weeks ago, and we started talking about changing my hair color. We decided on one together that we both liked for me. Now, With the color we wanted, my hair had to be bleached. So three days ago I went out and bought two Splat bleach kits (It required two because my hair is really thick) and I put them on that night. I left them on for an hour, and then washed it out with the shampoo and complete reconstuctioning conditioner that comes with it. After it dried, it was Blonde at the scalp, fading out to a light red-ish brassy, to dark red-ish brassy. with dark brown in some spots. So I had my mom pick my up another Splat Bleach kit, and I used that yesterday. It turned the brown to a dark red, and lightened everything else, but there was still a lot of red. At this point I was a little bit upset because I had even used heat this time, and it still didn't work very well. But then again, I knew it wasn't doing to go perfectly blonde within two bleach sessions (Especially with a small vol. bleach, like splat) After all, its not a miracle worker.
So today I went out and got two 30 vol. bleach kits and two packets of Ardell Unred. When I got home I mixed it all together and put it on my hair and then put a plastic cap over it. I then applied heat for 50 mins, and then let it set for another 20 mins. Then I washed it out,. I shampoo-ed 5 times, and conditioned once, but let the conditioner on for a little bit, then rinsed that out. So now my hair is a very white blonde at the scalp, and then that fades out to a light,light red about three inches down.
FIY My hair isn't damaged, surprisingly. I just had a tiny bit of breakage at the ends and my hair is somewhat dry. So I cut about half an inch off the bottom of my hair.

So I am just writing this to share my experience. DO NOT do this to your hair. Its not good,
And please don't try to tell me that I am stupid for doing this. No negativity is welcome.
Any information anyone has on Ardell Unred, is welcome, because it didn't work for me.
Splat bleach is still a good product, just not in this case.
Sorry this was so long.

McKindle

Hey guys,
here are two things that have really worked for me in the past, and i've dyed my hair black alot!

First of all, just normal lemon juice. Like the little bottles of Jiff lemon for adding to cakes / drinks. I got a spray bottle and emptied it into that to apply it to my hair. Diluting it slighly is optional but it really helps lighten your hair quickly if you do it daily over a week.

The other thing that works pretty quickly is the sunbeds. Not ideal, but if you only go on for 3 minutes for 3-5 sessions you'll notice a big difference. What I found was it knocked the dark of the black out of my hair, and after that it faded naturally pretty quickly for the following weeks. Both methods did minimal damage to the healthy look of my hair. The texture changed, not as soft for a short while but went back to normal after a few weeks of normal washing.

Hope this helps others with this black hair dye problem!

Justine Chase

i have black hair an trying to get rid of it so been washing it with anti dandruff shampoo seems to be fadding it i wish it would hurry up i dont wanna cut my hair either wish someone would of warned me bout black hair before i done it i would never of went there

Lin1018

i have black hair an trying to get rid of it so been washing it with anti dandruff shampoo seems to be fadding it i wish it would hurry up i dont wanna cut my hair either wish someone would of warned me bout black hair before i done it i would never of went there
Justine I hope this link will help you http://www.haircrazy.com/articles/misc-articles/fading-your-colour/ once you have sorted your color to your satisfaction you will need to use a hair repair system, I use Pro Naturals.

LilySmith

I dyed my hair black few times, but it wasn't difficult to get rid of that color. Most problems I had with the red. I spend half a year until it had gone)

hairstylo

New User
Sorry you're having to go through this. Sounds like quite a pain in the rear to get it out. I don't have much to contribute, but theres lot of contradictory advice being shared in this thread. I suggest you also get opinion of an expert/stylist or two always.

FiftyOne

I never tried coloring my hair black because it could really cause me so much of a problem when I want to change it to a lighter color like blonde. Our hair stylist advice is to remove the black color by bleaching but the process might damage a person's hair texture.

Last edited:

shellygrrl

Staff member
Help me! I have the same issue. How to dye blonde colour dark? Pictures included.
7-inverted-bob-for-thin-hair.jpg

1-color-pop-with-long-bob.jpg

Pictures downloaded from here

No, the question was about going from dark to light. It's a lot easier to go light to dark. (My advice is similar, though: get it done professionally if you don't know what you're doing.)

MayuYou

New User
You should do it bit by bit to order to save your hair from overdrying. After dying use coco oil.

Latest posts