How to keep curls in (without ten ton of hairspray)

MAC_addiction<3

Ok so i know ive been asking loadsssss of hair questions lately lol i think im just bored of it but don't want to cut/colour it so im trying out new styles. Ive always worn my hair straight because my hair never used to curl but recently ive been using bendy rollers which curled my hair fantasticallyyy! gorgeous shiny, healthy, bouncy ringlet curls which i loveddd - but after 10 minutes they had dropped out
ssad.gif
i was so upset! so i tried it again but this time put loadssss of hairspray in - my hair looked horribly wet, hard and crispy, i couldnt seperate it because of the amount of hairspray it just looked awful! the curls DID stay longer...but after an hour even theyd all dropped out! Has any one got an idea how the top stylists do it on the stars? they don't look like theyve got any product in it their hair is in soft and shiny curls! there must be something out there surelyyyy?
TIA girlsss & guys x x x<3

brokenxbeauty

I use the Jilbere de Paris Spiral Barrel Curling Iron to make my curls, and I love it! I feel what you're saying about no hairspray, but yesterday I tried this out without it, and it seemed to be fine. I went from probably 5:30pm to 10pm with my hair still looking fine. So you could maybe try that? It's a really great curling iron.

MrsRjizzle

Try curling your hair with a flat iron. I do that and I dont use hairspray or anything. My curls dont fall out untill I wash it.

Dreamergirl3

I think you should practice with curling irons. In my experience they're superior to rollers for a longer lasting curl (I do love rollers though, but more for sexy waves). After you curl them with the iron, pin the curls to your head and let them cool while holding their shape. That way, they'll 'set' in the curl.

This video explains it a little better, but unfortunately it doesn't show how he pins the whole head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V56DSa-L9Oc

carandru

I would say do a combo of everything suggest. Get some flexible hold spray or curling product. Try to get something light weight so you don't get that nasty, crunchy hair you talked about. Then curl your hair using a flat iron or curling iron. I would try to use a ceramic iron if possible (along w/ a heat protectant as well). This will be healthier for you hair and should increase the shine factor as well. Then allow your curls to cool completely before you do anything to them. The best way is to pin them, but you can just use a blow dryer/ diffuser on cool if you don't have the time or know how to pin them.

That should help them last a lot longer. Just play around and see what works!

carandru

Also, a good way to look like you have no product in your hair. Scrunch the products into your hair while it's still wet. Then blow dry and style as usual. You should still get the same performance out of your product. This will also help if you tend to be heavy handed w/ your products since the water will diffuse the product.

Dizzy

Redken has a product that is a styling lotion- it's not a strong hold, but it will give you a bit of hold.

I put it in my hair while wet, then I blow dry my hair with a round brush, and once it's around 85% dry, I put it up in rollers to finish drying and while it cools down.

Then about a half hour later, I take them out, spray it with a light hairspray and put a wax on the very ends because that's what usually begins to fall first on me. Once the ends start to fall, the rest won't be salvageable.

Sometimes I'll go back over it with a curling iron before I spray the curls, but that's only if I forget to put a piece in the rollers or if one wasn't properly rolled. They stay for a while, but remember that weather will affect them. If you live in a high humidity area then you might need to use more hairspray or maybe a light gel mixed with the styling lotion.

raen

I use my flat iron to curl my hair. I have EXTREMELY long hair (it's down to the middle of my back and layered when it's straightened!) It takes me about 30 minutes to do it and I do it in layers. When I finish each later, I set it with either Fructis rock hard hairspray (the best one so far!), Tresemme Extra Hold hairspray (it smells like apples
greengrin.gif
) or Got2B hairspray. My curls usually last until I get home that night, depending on what I'm doing that day.

Try Dove Extra Hold Hairspray! It holds curls and styles very well. I can guarantee you no crispyness! It adds a bit of shine and a lovely smell too. It kept my curls in place for grad, and the day after! PLUS Lauren Conrad says she loves this in CosmoGirl because it's the only hairspray that dosen't make her hair crispy!

DoveHairspray.jpg

The best hairspray, for less than $4!

MAC_addiction<3

thanks so much for all the suggestions ive made a note of everything and i'm going to experiment with each one this week! i'll let you know how it goess! thankss, any more suggestions welcome
greengrin.gif
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

MAC_addiction<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRjizzle
Try curling your hair with a flat iron. I do that and I dont use hairspray or anything. My curls dont fall out untill I wash it.

im really not good at curling with straightners..my hair used to be damaged, its a lot better now but still dry with split ends so when i've tried to curl with straightners n twist them through my hair it pulls bits of my hair n snaps it. Plus ive got long hair (about 20 inches long) and it seems impossible to curl it with straightners as when i turn the straightners round to oull it through they just get stuck. Not sure if any one knows what i mean but i've never been able to do it proply! x

MAC_addiction<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumxGold
Try Dove Extra Hold Hairspray! It holds curls and styles very well. I can guarantee you no crispyness! It adds a bit of shine and a lovely smell too. It kept my curls in place for grad, and the day after!

DoveHairspray.jpg

The best hairspray, for less than $4!

i've tried a really soft hairspray but its the amount i have to put in for the curls to hold which is a lot...which makes my hair look hard and crispy no matter which hairspray i use
ssad.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_addiction<3
i've tried a really soft hairspray but its the amount i have to put in for the curls to hold which is a lot...which makes my hair look hard and crispy no matter which hairspray i use
ssad.gif

Oh okay. Maybe you should try Sebastian Shaper Hairspray. It's incredible at holding, and you don't need a lot.
sebastian-shaper-lg.jpg

They also used Sebastian Shaper in the movie Hairspray.
hairspray_sebastian_shaper.jpg

Here are some top picked hairspray reviews on makeupalley:

TRESemme Tres Two Extra Hold Hairspray
http://makeupalley.com/product/showr...yling_Products

Kenra Super Hold Finishing Spray

TRESemme Tres Two Ultra Fine Mist Hairspray

ch33tah

When I had long hair, i would curl it with a 2" curling iron to achieve those long 'california' girl curls. To hold, I'd avoid hair spray, but I used to take a tiny bit of Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant pomade, rub it between my palms until warm and evened out, and then lightly scruch my curls. I found this would keep my curls shiny, smooth and they'd last for a very long time. My curls were never hard or crunchy and stayed SOFT.

my hair is fine in texture, but I do have a good amount of hair.

Here are some photos:

with out curling:
blondelong.jpg

curls:
curlyhair.jpg

MAC_addiction<3

Thanks your hair looks gorgeous! I live in the UK though and have never heard of the Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant pomade, any one got any ideas where i could get it?
x <3

SkylarV217

I 2nd and 3rd and fourth the styling lotion .... =D

Redkin has one
Paul Mitchell has one
Generics has one and
Treseme recently came out with one =D

ch33tah

Quote:
Thanks your hair looks gorgeous! I live in the UK though and have never heard of the Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant pomade, any one got any ideas where i could get it?
x <3

Aveda can be found at either an Aveda salon/store or a Salon that carries it.

here is a list of all the spots in Birmingham that sell Aveda products.

I know Birmingham is in the middle of England, but you probably get a lot of humidity as well. This stuff I'm recommending is 'ANTI HUMIDITY' which will mean that however you style your hair, the humidity cannot ruin it. so it's good if you straighten it as well.

hope this helps. it's worth the investment.
thmbup.gif

MAC_addiction<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarV217
I 2nd and 3rd and fourth the styling lotion .... =D

Redkin has one
Paul Mitchell has one
Generics has one and
Treseme recently came out with one =D

and these dont make your hair hard/crispy/stuck together?
thanks x

Dizzy

Quote:
and these dont make your hair hard/crispy/stuck together?
thanks x

I don't know about the Tresemme or Generics, I've never tried those, but I've used Redken and Paul Mitchell's without any crispiness.

Latest posts