Hair Weaving Glue = Eyelash Adhesive?

lipshock

It's been brought to my attention that there are WoC that use the black hair glue (used to apply extensions, tracks, etc) to apply their false eyelashes. I am not understanding this at all. Please, someone explain this to me. That cannot be safe?!?!

th_confused_new.gif

jinxii

lol! its actually funny that you mentioned this, because I was in a nail salon with my mom once and one of the nail techs (who was a young asian girl by the way) was explaining to one of the customers that she used "weave" glue to attach her false lashes. they looked fine.. but I also wondered whether it was safe or not.

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxii
lol! its actually funny that you mentioned this, because I was in a nail salon with my mom once and one of the nail techs (who was a young asian girl by the way) was explaining to one of the customers that she used "weave" glue to attach her false lashes. they looked fine.. but I also wondered whether it was safe or not.

I mean, I just don't get it.

There is a reason why there is a specific product meant for this purpose and that is safe for the eye (granted you're not allergic to latex and you're using a non latex based adhesive, if you are in fact allergic to it). Why would you use hair glue? Call me puzzled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
wow REALlY!! Thats scarey ....Is it eye safe???

Tish, hell if I know.
shrugs.gif
But I'll be damned if I'm putting that black glue near my eyes. No way!

TISH1124

I found this article

Eyelash extensions are a fun and safe alternative to mascara or false lashes, but consumers should follow some basic guidelines before getting eyelash extensions. Be sure the adhesive is United States pharmaceutical grade quality and approved for the use around eye area. Most lash adhesives produced from ASIA are industrial quality adhesives that are not FDA approved cosmetic or medical purposes. Many black cyano acrylate's containing adhesives were originally formulated with the automotive industry in mind and can sometimes contain impurities that are not safe for use on humans. Before using eyelash extensions, ask to see the ingredient list on the bottle. Also, keep in mind that just because someone claims their adhesive is surgical quality or made in the U.S., or the bottle says it's a surgical adhesive, does not mean that it is made in the U.S. The product should be manufactured in the United States. The ingredient list should read U.S.P. or U.S. pharmaceutical grade class 4. This means that the adhesive is pure medical quality surgical glue and is safe for the use on the eye area.

ssudiva

ok, i'll fess up a little. lol when i got my lashes done for the first time, twice actually, in a shop in the mall staffed by black women, they used weave glue to apply the lashes. their claim was bonding glue was "better" than lash adhesive because you could keep the lashes on longer (up to 2 weeks).
th_dunno.gif

when i started putting lashes on myself, i used bonding glue because it didn't dry as quickly as lash adhesive so i had more time to place the lash strip. as i got better, i went back to using lash adhesive. i didn't have any issues using bonding glue and the glue came off easily with baby oil.

TISH1124

^^ I guess my problem would be ...not how long it lasts but if it is safe for the eye area..I would think it would last much longer but what happens if it accidentally gets in your eye...Hopefully this would never happen...but with my non applying self it probably would

ssudiva

good question. i've gotten normal adhesive in my eye; it watered and turned red, but that was about it.

aziajs

Hmmm...I know Erin has done this. I saw her do it in one of her videos. It doesn't really bother me. It just sounds like another makeup tip/trick that people use.

lipshock

Yeah, I have no problem with that being another makeup tip/trick. My concern is if the glue is eye safe or not. =) Another ladies are chiming in and saying they've used with no problems whatsoever, so I guess it's not too bad.

aziajs

Well, it's like using glitter. It's not recommended for the eye but people do it anyway and, for most, without incident.

lipshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
Well, it's like using glitter. It's not recommended for the eye but people do it anyway and, for most, without incident.

Ah, so true, Azia. =] I've never had a problem with the regular eyelash adhesive, so I'm not sure I'll be trying this anytime soon but I was just so curious.

BTW, I saw your PM today. You're up late.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs

This is true! Hell you know I wore them once and one ended up coming off halfway thru my date with my dh...If I had that hair glue I may have still been looking cute
lol.gif

ashleyisawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by couturesista
The smell of the hair glue alone turns me off! But to each his/her own!

Hahah! For real right! It's so gross. I have so much hair glue laying around my house and no eye lash adhesive, but I think I'd still be scared to use it. It seems it would take forever to get it off.. and painful. lol.

carandru

I'm sure it works just fine compared to eyelash glue, but I probably wouldn't use it. I never liked gluing tracks into my head b/c the glue was damaging, so I'm sure I don't want to put that on my eyes, lol. And the smell
thmbdn.gif
But like Azia said, it's not recommended for eyes but a lot of people do it.

L281173

My hairstylist is a professional makeup artist and he swears by weave glue as an adhesive for false eyelashes.

lafemmenoir

MAC sells the surgical adhesive glue with theirs. To each their own as I have seen people do some interesting tips/tricks in the name of beauty. Then again, I guess coal for eyeliner back in the day is extreme to me today
smiles.gif

NubianHoneii

In theory I guess it could work. Hair glue is made to bond track to hair ( most girls put it on their scalp not knowing that the glue shouldn't sit on your scalp at all or when you try to remove it it will take your hair out from the roots .. I found that out in 9th grade .. it was a HARSH lesson learned). It is even the same kind of elastic consistency as duo glue when it dries.

I happen to have both items laying around. Here are the ingredient list of each

Natty weaving Bond : Natural Rubber Latex, anti-oxidants, preservatives and colors

Duo glue: Water, Cellulose gum, sodium dodcylbeznesulfonte (wtf?), rubber latex, fragrance, formalin solution, ammonium hydroxide

my thing is though ... how can you stand the smell of the bonding glue near your eye? It would make mine tear up wickedly!

and I just KNOW that weaving bond has to have some kind of ammonia in it. It smells just like ammonia.

MAC_Pixie04

A lot of my friends are performers and they prefer to use weave bonding glue as opposed to labeled eyelash adhesive. The reasons I've gotten is that the lashes last longer and wear through just about anything; including sweating, water, and intense motion (dancing etc). Also, the weave bonding glue has a dark color, so it makes the lash look more "natural" because the base is dark like your eyelash base. I've also been told that the weave bonding glue is more cleanly removed from the false lash base so that when they are reapplied, they don't look all haggard and gross at the base.

I don't advocate using weave glue because that's not what it's for, and your eye area is not an area to be fucked with. So I say, use at your own risk and if it works for you, then good for you.

Latest posts