Keloids?

X4biddenxLustX

xxManBeaterxx: Thanks for the shot glass explanation, I was a bit confused at first lol.

A size of a football?!!! Now that's bad! My scar is more of a line I guess. The actual area of the piercing, like the two holes isn't really bad at all. On each side of the actual piercing site, there's a horizontal bumpy raised line that's a lot darker than my actual skintone. I'd take a pic of it but I want to spare everyone the sight of this ugly scar and my belly fat lol.

My dad (whose my only means of transportation really) decided to go out today without me so I guess I'll have to wait probably another 2 weeks before being able to visit my doctor =[. I'll be sure to let him know how physically annoying this thing has been to me and how I'd like to try silicone sheets on them. He was willing to write a script for an air filter for me (I have HORRIBLE environmental allergies) so maybe he's willing to do that for me with the silicone sheets.

Blushbaby: You Brits are so lucky! A lot of people here have issues with health insurance or no insurance at all. I'm on medicaid right now because I'm currently unemployed and my parents don't receive any benefits from their employers. It's pretty good about coverage on most things I think up til your 20 or 21. After that its still pretty good but they won't cover vision or dental I think.

I know exactly what your talking about, its umm liquid nitrogen I think thats what its called? They use that stuff on wart removal too, haha fun fact!

Yeah, at this point I'm really not that optimistic about any kind of treatment. But I guess the silicone sheets won't hurt right? If they don't do anythng I can then try the other topical remedies. And if that doesn't work, then hey what can ya do, I tried? I guess it'll be my constantly reminder of how much of an idiot I was back when I was an early teen haha.

MisaMayah: I had talked to my mom last night about this because I wanted her to know how much it was bothering me and that I wanted really bad to do something about it. I mentioned steroid injections to her as an option if topical treatments fail. After some discussing we decided that I'm not going to get the steriod injections. Because like everyone inlcuding you has been saying, there is no guarantee that I'll get better and theres a chance of it actually making it worse and coming right back.

For the past few days I've been applying some emu oil and Palmer's Cocoa Butter Massage Cream for Stretch Marks on that area. I don't really massage it in or anything cause it'll start hurting. I'll do this twice a day and the area is much more moisturized maybe that'll help with the itching (I had very dry skin).

MisaMayah

That's cool - I know it's easy to say but really .... ure beautiful hun try not to let it bother u too much!! x

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaMayah
That's cool - I know it's easy to say but really .... ure beautiful hun try not to let it bother u too much!! x

Aww thanks! I've just been dealing with bigger self-esteem issues lately. My life has been in the dumps. And having this scar there and the weight gain and stretch mark does not help at all. But I guess I did learn my lesson- no more unecessary messing around with my body cause it doesn't like it! I'm going to have to take better care of it too, I've been stuffing my face with junk food and sitting around all day.

X4biddenxLustX

Soo, I'm FINALLY going to see my GP this coming Monday after my therapist appointment. I don't care what comes up that day but I need to go see her (for other reasons too, been soo sick these 2 weeks). I hope she is able to prescribe me something (hopefully silicone sheets!) without having to send me to see a dermatologist which I don't have time to really make an appointment with and go see at this very moment. Plus I didn't really even like the one office I went to a few years back for my acne problems, but only went cause they were quite close to where I live.

I just got my period and I think it has been making the scar more painful because my stomach gets like a size or two bigger because of the bloating I get.

X4biddenxLustX

Soo I FINALLY got to my doctor's office. I mentioned the scar to him and he looked at it again (he had noticed it last time I had visited for a physical). I told him that I had did some research and talked to some people who have also had this type of scaring and that I was interested in trying some treatments, mainly the silicone sheets. He told me that I could feel free to get the sheets OTC and try them but they may or may not work. And that this is just mainly a cosmetic issue that poses no health issue. After I mentioned to him the pain and itching I was having from it he referred me to a dermatologist. But he said that the dermatologist might not really even do much for it since it's my belly button which gets covered up all the time by my clothes.

Not sure when I'll be able to actually see a dermatologist. I can't go to any of the ones he reccommended me because they are not in my area. The closest office is about a 15 minute drive away. I use to see them for acne and they weren't all that great. =[

celestia

Have you tried hot compressing? the bodyjewelleryshop forum had heaps of great advice. A lot of people post in the aftercare section with similar questions as yours and "hot compressing" used to come up a lot.

User38

Exactly -- I have a tendency to keloid and have had plastic surgery on various keloids which have developed on my face and neck. When I had back surgery last year (a double diskectomy) that left a scar down my back about 8 inches long and I hoped it would not keloid, but it did
ssad.gif
.. It is a very difficult area to treat and I have heard the only way to totally eliminate a keloid is with lasers.. everything else including creams, patches and injections don't do the job
ssad.gif

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestia
Have you tried hot compressing? the bodyjewelleryshop forum had heaps of great advice. A lot of people post in the aftercare section with similar questions as yours and "hot compressing" used to come up a lot.

No, I haven't tried that yet! Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'm willing to try anything that is noninvasive and cheap at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGreyness
Exactly -- I have a tendency to keloid and have had plastic surgery on various keloids which have developed on my face and neck. When I had back surgery last year (a double diskectomy) that left a scar down my back about 8 inches long and I hoped it would not keloid, but it did
ssad.gif
.. It is a very difficult area to treat and I have heard the only way to totally eliminate a keloid is with lasers.. everything else including creams, patches and injections don't do the job
ssad.gif

Yeah, the outlook for keloids and stuff isn't so great. And even with laser treatments or removal I've heard that they could grow right back and be worse than they originally were.
ssad.gif

brandi

Okay, after reading this entire thread I decided to tell you about my experience with a keloid I had. I was really embarrassed about it because it was small at first and then it grew bigger and bigger during both of my pregnancies which triggered it to grow in the first place.

I got my scar from an ear piercing on my cartilage at the top of my ear I was in high school 14 I think? (does that even make any sense?) I got my haircut one day and the lady hit the earring it hurt and I got a little cut, but didnt think anything of it... I got a little bump, but thought it would go away...Then after I graduated, I got pregnant with my daughter and I noticed the bump getting bigger and bigger. I started to freak. I took out the earring and went to see the doctor. They informed me it was a keloid, it usually runs in Pacific Islander, African American ethnicities, or within your family genes. I asked my mom about it and she confirmed she had one before, but it went away on its own! She was soo lucky! I breast fed my daughter and had to wait before I could get any injections or get it removed. However, I got pregnant with my son! Then it grew again
thmbdn.gif
I had mines removed last year in Oct. and had it for 4 years!

I seen a cosmetologist. I was so ashamed of mines because it was huge and right on my ear and I hated putting my hair up because of it. I was aware of it coming back. 50/50 chance! I was like with my luck it will come back, but it hasn't!!!
yahoo.gif
** knock on wood** I went back for my follow ups and he would check it. I went back three times to make sure it wasn't growing back because if it did look like it was going to come back he suggested the steroid shots $100 each! The procedure was $400! It was well worth it for me.

The keloid did hurt, and itch when I had it. After the procedure, which wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be my ear hurt. After about five months now keloid free, my ear is sensitive in the area the keloid was in, but there isn't discoloration or major scarring. You can barely tell I had it!

I was told to buy a product scar guard its $70. The cosmetologist told me I could only buy it from doctor offices. I put on a thin coat everyday...

I hope this helped someone!

I haven't tried anything before getting the procedure done... BUT I'm glad its gone..

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandi
Okay, after reading this entire thread I decided to tell you about my experience with a keloid I had. I was really embarrassed about it because it was small at first and then it grew bigger and bigger during both of my pregnancies which triggered it to grow in the first place.

I got my scar from an ear piercing on my cartilage at the top of my ear I was in high school 14 I think? (does that even make any sense?) I got my haircut one day and the lady hit the earring it hurt and I got a little cut, but didnt think anything of it... I got a little bump, but thought it would go away...Then after I graduated, I got pregnant with my daughter and I noticed the bump getting bigger and bigger. I started to freak. I took out the earring and went to see the doctor. They informed me it was a keloid, it usually runs in Pacific Islander, African American ethnicities, or within your family genes. I asked my mom about it and she confirmed she had one before, but it went away on its own! She was soo lucky! I breast fed my daughter and had to wait before I could get any injections or get it removed. However, I got pregnant with my son! Then it grew again
thmbdn.gif
I had mines removed last year in Oct. and had it for 4 years!

I seen a cosmetologist. I was so ashamed of mines because it was huge and right on my ear and I hated putting my hair up because of it. I was aware of it coming back. 50/50 chance! I was like with my luck it will come back, but it hasn't!!!
yahoo.gif
** knock on wood** I went back for my follow ups and he would check it. I went back three times to make sure it wasn't growing back because if it did look like it was going to come back he suggested the steroid shots $100 each! The procedure was $400! It was well worth it for me.

The keloid did hurt, and itch when I had it. After the procedure, which wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be my ear hurt. After about five months now keloid free, my ear is sensitive in the area the keloid was in, but there isn't discoloration or major scarring. You can barely tell I had it!

I was told to buy a product scar guard its $70. The cosmetologist told me I could only buy it from doctor offices. I put on a thin coat everyday...

I hope this helped someone!

I haven't tried anything before getting the procedure done... BUT I'm glad its gone..

Thanks hun for sharing your experience. I'm glad you've gotten yours taken care of and am keloid-free!

My insurance won't pay for any treatments. They'll probably only pay for the dermatologist visit and that's it. I'm wondering if Walgreens (where I'll begin working this coming week) could order it for me....and I could use my work discount there? I had some eyelid cleanser specially ordered for me without a prescription cause they didn't care the kind I needed in the store or at any drugstores around here. They were really great about it.

Any kind of invasive treatment right now just freaks me out! It occasionally hurts and itches really bad especially during that TOTM or if I sit too long. But it's like no doctor believes me when I tell them that! It's weird lol.

brandi

^^

I agree, no doctors believed me either except for the cosmetologist when I told him it hurt.

My insurance didn't cover anything! My Lovely/wonderful BF paid it for me. I have no job because I'm a full time nursing student & mother! I had to quit my job after this past Christmas.

I was really worried it would come back. I still am, I don't want to hit it or anything. I feel you pain.

It hurt a lot when I had mines.I hit ear when my car door slammed on it LOL I wasn't paying attention to the wind! I thought my ear was going to fall off.

I hope you can find something to work for you.

Btw, I have my belly pierced and no keloid. Its so weird.

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandi
^^

I agree, no doctors believed me either except for the cosmetologist when I told him it hurt.

My insurance didn't cover anything! My Lovely/wonderful BF paid it for me. I have no job because I'm a full time nursing student & mother! I had to quit my job after this past Christmas.

I was really worried it would come back. I still am, I don't want to hit it or anything. I feel you pain.

It hurt a lot when I had mines.I hit ear when my car door slammed on it LOL I wasn't paying attention to the wind! I thought my ear was going to fall off.

I hope you can find something to work for you.

Btw, I have my belly pierced and no keloid. Its so weird.

It's so weird cause mines on my belly button is SOOO noticeable especially during doctor exams when you have to lift your shirt part way up so they can press on your stomach. And seriously it does look painful to have. I don't get why they don't care.

Your lucky you've got such a nice bf!!!

But lately my keloid has been the least of my medical issues, got strep throat last month and scared that it's going to come right back. Plus I'm sort of facing the threat of having my Medicaid cut. My parents get no benefits from work and we all besides my little brother have "pre-existing conditions". The premiums and copays for everything would rob us dry.

I wouldn't worry too much about your keloid coming back, just leave the area alone and be real careful. The more you stress over it, the more affect it's probably going to have on the healing process.

Did your belly button piercing heal up okay? If it did I wouldn't worry about getting one on your belly button really. Mines didn't heal up very well cause it started to reject the ring I had in which made my body act stupid. Inflammatory response! GRRRRRR!

I think that what may of triggered the keloid on your ear was when it got hurt so in a way it's kind of like opening up a new "wound" if that makes sense in that area?

Lava6279

I wouldn't do that if I were you. I have a keloid on my ear and it was from getting my ear pierced a few times. They can get bigger. If you do decide to have your belly button pierced again, watch for changes in your skin and you might want to see a dermatologist as well. I still have them on my ears, but when I was 14 I did see a doctor and he injected a steroid which softened them. I don't even wear my hair up since I'm ashamed. It's sad. Just think twice about it and hope that this was helpful to you.

Lava6279

I can relate to your story. I have keloids on both ears since I was 14 and I've never worn my hair up and I'm 35 now. I've had the same hair style for years and it's sad. I'm ashamed and those who aren't familiar with them and see them think that you are weird or they ask if your skin grew over your ear ring( which is the dumbest thing that I've ever heard btw). I did go to a doctor and when I was younger and he injected steroids in it and it helped soften them up and shrink a little bit. I live in a state where there isn't a lot of woc and I don't want to go to a dermatologist and be an experiment. I've been to one recently for another issue and I wasn't happy. Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

Latest posts