My hands are literally cracking and bleeding...HELP!

ashk36

I work in my mom's dog grooming shop and I wash and hand dry at least 12 dogs a day. Every winter my hands are WRECKED! I couldn't even finish every dog today because they hurt so bad. Getting shampoo in the cracks doesn't feel so great. What is the absolute BEST moisturizer/lotion/whatever for such dry skin? I've tried Aquafor. I slather my hands in it and sleep in rubber gloves, and it does help a bit, but they're still dry once all the Aquafor is wiped or washed off. Is there anything that can help me? And please, don't start naming off crazy expensive department store shit. I just told you I wash dogs for a living.
tong.gif

TISH1124

I used to have that problem when I worked with chemicals in the lab and the only thing that gave me relief was Johnson's Baby Oil Gel...I would rub it in my hands 2-3 times a day...

You should always wear gloves though at work to help protect your hands

ashk36

Can't wear gloves. I've tried. Water/shampoo still gets in them. I can't feel the dog's fur, so I can't tell if I've rinsed all the shampoo out, can't tell if I missed a spot while drying. I even duct taped the damn gloves to my arms and water STILL got in them. So I just suck it up and go bare handed. I feel like I can't do my job right if I can't feel what I'm doing!

jmj2k

Have you tried Avon's Silicone glove? It should help with the dryness. But you're going to have to find a way to wear gloves at least until your hands heal.

NutMeg

Olive oil. Many times a day. If you have deep cracks that won't close, crazy glue them together. Put the olive oil on your hands before you start shampooing, the oil will keep the water away from your skin for a while before it gets washed off. Put it on at night with gloves, like you were doing before.

And damn it, wear gloves while you're washing the dogs. I know water still gets inside, but it's going to help. Do it!
smiles.gif

ashk36

Thanks for the responses. I'll try the olive oil tonight. I have the day off tomorrow, my hands usually don't take that long to heal so hopefully by Monday they'll be a little better. I thought about maybe cutting the finger tips off the gloves and that way I can feel what I'm doing, but still have my cuts covered up. I suppose if I have something greasy on my hands, the gloves will stick to it and it should do the trick. People just don't realize what we put ourselves through to make their dogs pretty!!

ginger9

If you can try to wear gloves until the cracks heal. But I understand how cumbersome they may be for you to do your job.

I have a suggestion that won't cost too much money. Try 100% Pure Shea Butter. I live in Canada I bought a 125ml jar of it at our local Wallmart for around 10 dollars. I got a Canadian brand but they should have them in the US Wallmart or just a local beauty store. On the label of my jar it says "It helps in healing...extreme dryness..., cracks, boils, wounds, cuts, ...". Remember do not get the lotion version you want the 100% pure shea butter, so make sure you check the label that there's no other additional ingredient, not even fragrance. It is in a wax like consistency and it melts on contact with your hands. It will smell kind of nutty as well. One application won't last through the whole day since you will be washing your hands so often so you will have to reapply but it moisturizes as well as heals.

In addition you can also purchase vitamin E in topical form and combine the two. Vitamin E also has healing effects as well. Your hand will be very greasy though but that's okay. This sure help the cracks from hurting and help them heal faster. HTH
smiles.gif

Blueeyesangel18

I would try an emollient cream like silcocks base or E45 cream, you would find it in a pharmacy and also you may use some sort of protection for your hands at least until the cracks heal the shampoo will make it worse as the cracks in your skin will absorb more of the products you use which will dry them out more. If you can like one of the above posters suggested try a liquid glove

shootout

Gold Bond Ultimate Healing with Aloe.
I have the same problem and this is a lifesaver =]

AlliSwan

I swear by Aveeno intensive hand relief something something...it stays on through my washing my hands at work (though they aren't in water as much as yours). But the other suggestions are good, too! Good luck, cracking skin on your hands SUCKKKS!

autumnschild

eucerin is the best lotion i've ever used for really dry skin. the one in the jar. it's kind of thick and odd feeling but it works pretty good. also, coastalscents.com sells unrefined shea butter for like, $9 per pound.

ohnna-lee

I agree with the Olive Oil, I have used it before when my hands were dry and scaling, and were starting to crack and bleed. You open yourself to infection when you have open wounds like that.

They have something that you can use over broken skin to close the wound til it can heal, I would go to your pharmacist and ask.

Look into Buy Casabella Premium Water Stop Gloves, Medium Online at drugstore.com some of these gloves, they are heavy duty and water isn't going to get into them as much.

There are also these Ladies Long Pink Gloves Temptress 18": Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Sometimes it is good to let your hands breathe, so keeping them in the gloves hinders that.

ashk36

thanks a bunch people! i had a nice day of rest and spent a good 10-12 hours in gloves filled with aquafor yet again, and it helped. i'm definitely gonna have to look into a bunch of this stuff though. and yeah, i wanted to use olive oil but i used the last of it for dinner instead. but it was GOOOOOD!

ohnna-lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashk36
thanks a bunch people! i had a nice day of rest and spent a good 10-12 hours in gloves filled with aquafor yet again, and it helped. i'm definitely gonna have to look into a bunch of this stuff though. and yeah, i wanted to use olive oil but i used the last of it for dinner instead. but it was GOOOOOD!

Internal application, guess it could work. Better than nothing
lol.gif

laguayaca

corn huskers lotion my husband had the same problem this stuff is awesome its like 3.99 at cvs look up revies for it people love it and it doesnt leave hat oily feeling lotions do thats what my hub love about it too!

laguayaca

haha this might sound off the wall too but my mother in law wears crisco--yes the shortening-- on her feet with socks over night and she says it makes her feet so soft i dont see why it wouldnt work just the same on hands with gloves!

MissResha

whatever you do, definitely slather something, hell even vaseline onto your hands and wear plastic gloves at night to speed up the healing process.

ashk36

Quote:
Originally Posted by laguayaca
haha this might sound off the wall too but my mother in law wears crisco--yes the shortening-- on her feet with socks over night and she says it makes her feet so soft i dont see why it wouldnt work just the same on hands with gloves!

i've heard of that before! i totally forgot until you posted this! my hands aren't bleeding anymore, but damn are they itchy as all hell! maybe i'll dig into my crisco before bed. i know it so turns my boyfriend on when he hears me snap those rubber gloves on. as long as i don't tell him to bend over, or turn to the left and cough.
th_LMAO.gif

Latest posts