My hands are literally cracking and bleeding...HELP!

PrettyKitty

Crisco is soybean and cottonseed oils, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. But if you can get your hands (lol) on unrefined shea butter, this is much better.

caffn8me

There are two ways to tackle this. Prevention or cure. Prevention is by far the better way. You don't need to wear gloves to stop your hands getting damaged. You should try something called a "barrier cream" which is designed to protect the skin against a wide range of irritants including detergents.

One such example is Theraseal. You will probably need to apply it frequently throughout the day while you're washing dogs but it should help reduce the problem in the first place.

user79

I'd really recommend trying out different gloves. Can you use a different shampoo on the dogs that is lesh harsh? Seems like your hands are just overworked with the detergents and water, try latex gloves, like the surgical kind, they fit on tighter...

I'd also try a very light cortisone cream on the cracks, if it's that bad they need some medicinal help to heal faster...just don't use it all the time but cortisone cream works wonders on cracked and raw skin to speed up the healing process.

xsavagex

I have no suggestions but i just wanted to say, that sounds so so painful!!! hope you found something to help
greengrin.gif

Hikaru-chan

I have the same problem as you, in the winter my hands get so cracked and sore and the only thing that works for me is Neutrogena hand cream.
I swear it heals your hands completely after a couple of nights and it's cheap.

user47

Aloe vera gel or lotion! Every single night. Make sure it's pure.

Aloe Life sells one called Skin Gel Ultimate Skin Treatment; it's 99% Certified Organic Whole Leaf Aloe Vera with Vitamins A, C, E, & Herbs.

I found mine at Henry's Farmer's Market, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere.

To make it last longer, you can mix it with your lotion. Shea Butter would be terrific.

Hope you find some relief!

vocaltest

i work in a hairdressing salon and a lot of the trainees have this problem. they're constantly using water (from shampooing) and their hands are so sore and red. unfortunately there really is no cure unless you stop exposing yourself to water. the only thing i've seen really effective is steroid cream... but of course then you will suffer from skin thinning and discolouration if used over a long period of time. theres things that will help but nothing that will cure it
ssad.gif

BloopBloop

urgh my hands are getting to that point as well. the webbing area between my index and thumb are cracked, feels like sandpaper. i use a shea butter lotion "lay it on thick" from bath n body works, but it gets washed off anyway. i work at starbucks and we're constanly reaching into the sanitzer bucket for a rag to wipe the countertops. the sanitizer solution is so rough on my hands!!

kleigh09

I was initially using Aquaphor at night for my dry hands, but I recently switched to Eucerin Dry Skin Therapy Plus Intensive Repair Body Cream.

It has made a world of difference! So much better than Aquaphor.

ashk36

Well...luckily since I'm in South Carolina, winter doesn't last long. Once the weather warms up a bit, my hands don't crack. Right now it's around 70 outside. So for as long as this nice weather lasts, my hands are okay. But once it goes below 60, that's usually when the bleeding starts again. I think I will order some shea butter from Coastal Scents with my next purchase. I read a few reviews on their site, and it sounds pretty nice. One girl was saying how her father had extremely sensitive skin after chemotherapy, every lotion he tried stung, but the shea butter didn't hurt at all.

NeonKitty

I'm a healthcare provider and as such generally wash my hands at least 100 times a shift with some pretty chemically heavy soaps. I get the cracked bleeding hands too, which is counterproductive because it's an infection risk.

I slather on a nice thick cream (cocoa butter type thing, intensive repair vaseline etc) in the morning and at night. At work I carry a travel size lotion that is thin and absorbs quickly, because it's generally only after 2 minutes before I have to wash my hands again. What has also made a big difference is they have changed the soaps in the dispensers at my facility to one that also includes a lotion, so generally speaking my hands need a lot more abuse to become as cracked.

kaliraksha

You may want to ask your pharmacist if pure glycerine is safe for normal use. Some are made from animal fats, but others are made from plant fats. They are used to make all kinds of lotions and soap. They usually special order it for burn victims to help moisturize their skin. But, it is over the counter and is even used in food sometimes... so I imagine it's safe for normal use.

There is always vaseline.. that is what they advertise its use for... cracked skin. Or if it gets really bad, see a dermatologist or your doctor- there might be some prescription stuff you can use.

I've always been taught that moisture comes from within, so I would stay very hydrated... it may not cure your issue, but it's gotta help.

Good luck finding a solution and let us know what's been working for you!

ashk36

What's been working for me is this beautiful weather we're having in South Carolina! I keep wanting to order some shea butter from Coastal Scents, but I'm slack about putting money into my bank account so I haven't had a chance. I think I'll be making an order tomorrow though, so I'll let you all know if that stuff works well for me.

Amber*Christine

Burts Bees Banana and Beeswax hand creme!!! I swear you won't regret it, I worked at a carwash years ago and it was destroying my hands, I used this stuff and they went back to being soft as buttah. Miracle cream!!

Teddy Bear

I have been using E45 for many years and it helps a little, but at the moment I am having a really terrible spell. My hands are so cracked and sore and bleeding both on top of my hands and on the palms. Also on the knuckles and even at the sides of both my little fingers. It's agony. Anything I touch or try and pick up is just impossible, and also to type as I am pressing on open wounds.
I just do not know what I can do to help myself. Hence reading all your comments. Thank you

Shimmery

wow Ive heard good things abotu E45! I also hear great things about Keihl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve.

Glowingsunshine55

Bear in mind that moisturizer in your specific case is only a "bandage" to the problem "constant use of shampoo drying out your hands."

As far as moisturizers go, I personally like using ones that contain olive oil as I find it quite soothing on my skin.

With regards to the "problem" is it not possible to simply wear gloves while shampooing the dogs?

Latest posts