Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

!!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

okay so i found this video on youtube and it is sooo unprofessional.
    please move this thread if it is in the wrong place but please watch the video!YouTube - PLEASE WATCH!!!: Coastal Scents Called Me Ignorant!
    MAC addict

Re: PLEASE READ:about coastal scents(very bad news)

Thanks a lot for posting this video!
    Make Up is* art, and my EYES are my canvas..

Sheesh!
    My Makeup Artist Name is....She!la Sasapar!lla.
    Go Purdue Boilermakers!!!
    My avatar is circa 1996...

Thanks a lot for posting this video.
    NC42/Black hair/Dark brown eyes

This chick should be a lawyer!!

Thanks for the expose.
    Russian /Chinese, from planet NARS, age 46, year of the Rabbit,pale gold skin, can't live without lipstick.

Very interesting!

WOW!!! Not used the silica powder...but this is very interesting

Flippin heck, it took me a good couple of mins to grasp her accent - she spoke so quickly!!

I think this is what my friend was trying to show me on MSN earlier tonight but I was kinda busy and only glanced at the thread she posted taken from a different website.

I decided a while ago that I wasn't gonna bother with silica powder, but am more likely not to backtrack now cos there are just too many rumours flying around surrounding its safety and I've got enough going on without a face powder causing me aggro further down the line.

yikes. go her.

Wow! I just found out about this powder, thanks for posting. To be more informed I'm going to goggle this.

wow! and I was just thinking of buying the blushes from coastal scents.. I really do not want to support someone that is willing to call our advocate an ignorant and act unprofessional.

Wow. Good for her. Someone needs to go to school and learn the right and professional way to run a business....the first rule is customers first. You don't bash someone when they have a problem with your product, you find ways to help make the situation better. How petty of CS to do that. I will never buy any of their products.
    hypn0se.net - my blog
    /tashona - my myspace

wow.
    I just ordered some last week! Good thing it wasn't the only thing I ordered and it's only $4.

Seriously, I don't care who bad mouthed who but after looking up the risk of silica AND the fact that my mother just beat breast cancer not too long ago, I don't think that its a wise thing for me to put on my skin, and bring that into my house with my 5 month old just in the name of beauty.

(BTW yes I know that all the coastal scents pallets can be found on eBay from the source, but Id rather order from coastal scents. They are coming from china and the shipping is horrendous -- and long. I also am less likely to get a problem solved quickly if something goes awry. Sometimes it just pays to deal with the middle man. )

The thing that's so horrible is that when she first posted the video addressing the possible issues with silica she DEFENDED Coastal Scents saying that it wasn't their fault if people were using the product in ways it wasn't intended. The Coastal Scents owner then went on to bash her on the Coastal Scents website forum calling her out specifically and even posting a link to her youtube page. Coastal scents also then altered the information on silica on the product page. I mean if I was a business owner and someone had posed possible issues with a product I was selling I would deal with it privately instead of vilifying someone who was simply passing on information and asking people to just do your own research. I won't be purchasing from Coastal Scents just because of their horrible customer service on this issue and the treatment of a customer who directed her viewers to their business.

does any one know if the 88 pallets contain silica
    NC40/42, MSF Med/Dark, MUFE 153
    =Everything and anything
    Take one day at a time and enjoy life
    http://makeupbydee.tumblr.com/
    http://twitter.com/dennynursiehttp://make-upbydee.blogspot.com/

I worked at a Cosmetic Manufacturing Laboratory and we refused to manufature products that contained Silica due to potential health risks to our employees and OSHA and the FDA were always on our tails when it came to these type of products...regarding proper ventilation etc...so we opted to not go after that type business..

Shadow Ingredients:

Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

May contain: Mica and titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Green, Hydrated Chrome Oxide Green. FD&C Red #40/ak Kajem /fd&/c Tekkiw #5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue #1 Al Lake

I wonder if MUFE is ever going to make a public statement about the safety of the HD powder?

Wow...no more Coastal Scents for me!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NubianHoneii
    I wonder if MUFE is ever going to make a public statement about the safety of the HD powder?

Thats the same thing I was thinking. I bought mine at sephora I am thinking about returning it.
    NC40/42, MSF Med/Dark, MUFE 153
    =Everything and anything
    Take one day at a time and enjoy life
    http://makeupbydee.tumblr.com/
    http://twitter.com/dennynursiehttp://make-upbydee.blogspot.com/

Take a look at the (edited highlights) MSDS information for two chemicals below;

Quote:
    Chemical A

First Aid Measures

Inhalation:
    Remove to fresh air. Get medical attention for any breathing difficulty.

Ingestion:
    If large amounts were swallowed, give water to drink and get medical advice.

Skin Contact:
    Wash exposed area with soap and water. Get medical advice if irritation develops.

Eye Contact:
    Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, lifting upper and lower eyelids occasionally. Get medical attention if irritation persists.

Accidental Release Measures

Ventilate area of leak or spill. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as specified in Section 8.

Spills: Sweep up and containerize for reclamation or disposal. Vacuuming or wet sweeping may be used to avoid dust dispersal. Small amounts of residue may be flushed to sewer with plenty of water.

Exposure Controls/Personal Protection

Airborne Exposure Limits:
    None established.

Ventilation System:
    In general, dilution ventilation is a satisfactory health hazard control for this substance. However, if conditions of use create discomfort to the worker, a local exhaust system should be considered.

Personal Respirators (NIOSH Approved):
    For conditions of use where exposure to dust or mist is apparent and engineering controls are not feasible, a particulate respirator (NIOSH type N95 or better filters) may be worn. If oil particles (e.g. lubricants, cutting fluids, glycerine, etc.) are present, use a NIOSH type R or P filter. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-face positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator. WARNING: Air-purifying respirators do not protect workers in oxygen-deficient atmospheres.

Skin Protection:
    Wear protective gloves and clean body-covering clothing.

Eye Protection:
    Use chemical safety goggles. Maintain eye wash fountain and quick-drench facilities in work area.

Quote:
    Chemical B

Hazards Identification

Emergency Overview
    --------------------------
    WARNING! HARMFUL IF INHALED. OVEREXPOSURE MAY CAUSE LUNG DAMAGE. MAY CAUSE EYE IRRITATION. INHALATION CANCER HAZARD.

Health Rating: 3 - Severe (Cancer Causing)
    Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES

First Aid Measures

Inhalation:
    Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical attention.

Ingestion:
    If large amounts were swallowed, give water to drink and get medical advice.

Skin Contact:
    Wash exposed area with soap and water. Get medical advice if irritation develops.

Eye Contact:
    Wash thoroughly with running water. Get medical advice if irritation develops.

Accidental Release Measures

Ventilate area of leak or spill. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as specified in Section 8. Spills: Sweep up and containerize for reclamation or disposal. Vacuuming or wet sweeping may be used to avoid dust dispersal.

Exposure Controls/Personal Protection

Airborne Exposure Limits:
    -OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):

Total dust: 30mg/m3/(% + 2)
    Respirable Fraction: 10 mg/m3/(% + 2)

-ACGIH Threshold Limit Value (TLV):
    0.025 mg/m3 (TWA) respirable dust, A2 -Suspected Human Carcinogen.

Ventilation System:
    A system of local and/or general exhaust is recommended to keep employee exposures below the Airborne Exposure Limits. Local exhaust ventilation is generally preferred because it can control the emissions of the contaminant at its source, preventing dispersion of it into the general work area. Please refer to the ACGIH document, Industrial Ventilation, A Manual of Recommended Practices, most recent edition, for details.

Personal Respirators (NIOSH Approved):
    If the exposure limit is exceeded and engineering controls are not feasible, a half-face high efficiency particulate respirator (NIOSH type N100 filter) may be worn for up to ten times the exposure limit or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. A full-face piece high efficiency particulate respirator (NIOSH type N100 filter) may be worn up to 50 times the exposure limit, or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. If oil particles (e.g. lubricants, cutting fluids, glycerine, etc.) are present, use a NIOSH type R or P filter. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-facepiece positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator. WARNING: Air-purifying respirators do not protect workers in oxygen-deficient atmospheres. Where respirators are required, you must have a written program covering the basic requirements in the OSHA respirator standard. These include training, fit testing, medical approval, cleaning, maintenance, cartridge change schedules, etc. See 29CFR1910.134 for details.

Skin Protection:
    Wear protective gloves and clean body-covering clothing.

Eye Protection:
    Use chemical safety goggles. Maintain eye wash fountain and quick-drench facilities in work area.

Well, what are they? NO GOOGLE ALLOWED - I want to see what people think these two chemicals are.

Some hints; Chemical A is sometimes used as a makeup ingredient and Chemical B is used in the construction industry so you may be exposed to them more often than you can imagine. Chemical A is rated as 5 on a scale of 1-5 for being comedogenic (causing breakouts).

Hazard a guess what the chemicals are and I'll reveal all after there have been a few more posts on this thread.
    Sarah - Flying M·A·Caholic

Silica/Mica would be my guess as at least one of them from my experience...But I did not read it in it's entirety because I don;t have the patience for all that

Neither is silica or mica although one is related to silica. Both require the use of gloves and body covering clothing as well as respirators if dust can't be controlled any other way (sometimes it can be in a fume cabinet for example).

I can tell you TITANIUM DIOXIDE is just as bad as using CRACK....but a lot of cosmetic companies use it...

WOW! Thank you so much for posting this!

I'm definately NOT buying from CS anymore. I bought their original 88 palette when it first came out and whenever I use it, it makes my eyes burn like crazy! I'm throwing this out!

They are not the only company that uses Silica in their products ...Just say'n

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TISH1127
    I can tell you TITANIUM DIOXIDE is just as bad as using CRACK....but a lot of cosmetic companies use it...

That rather depends what you use it for

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JsBaby4eva
    WOW! Thank you so much for posting this!

I'm definately NOT buying from CS anymore. I bought their original 88 palette when it first came out and whenever I use it, it makes my eyes burn like crazy! I'm throwing this out!

Would you care to have a guess what the two chemicals I have given safety information are?

WOW! Thanks for sharing this video. I have heard about the dangers of Silica. This was one of the reasons why I returned my MUFE HD powder and other things that contained it. I also will not buy from Coastal Scents anyl longer. They could have went another way in dealing with this and they're just being shady.

As far as guessing what the 2 chemicals are, I really have no clue. But after working a 12 hr shift my brain is dead and I can't really think. I know I'm taking all the fun out of the guessing here, but can you just tell us what the 2 chemicals are?? I'd like to know myself.

I think the concern is mainly the inhalation of silica and/or contact with the skin if it's a high concentration. Silica is a great ingredient IMO, I love pressed powders that contain it as well as some loose powders. It's just not too high on the ingredients list.

Caffn8me, my only guess could be sand for chemical B...I know it's used in some construction and it's related to silica, however I don't know if sand would be considered a chemical, LOL! As for other one, I have no idea!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast