!!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

caffn8me

Re: PLEASE READ:about coastal scents(very bad news)

Take a look at the (edited highlights) MSDS information for two chemicals below;

Quote:
Chemical A

First Aid Measures

Inhalation:
Remove to fresh air. Get medical attention for any breathing difficulty.

Ingestion:
If large amounts were swallowed, give water to drink and get medical advice.

Skin Contact:
Wash exposed area with soap and water. Get medical advice if irritation develops.

Eye Contact:
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, lifting upper and lower eyelids occasionally. Get medical attention if irritation persists.

Accidental Release Measures

Ventilate area of leak or spill. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as specified in Section 8.

Spills: Sweep up and containerize for reclamation or disposal. Vacuuming or wet sweeping may be used to avoid dust dispersal. Small amounts of residue may be flushed to sewer with plenty of water.

Exposure Controls/Personal Protection

Airborne Exposure Limits:
None established.

Ventilation System:
In general, dilution ventilation is a satisfactory health hazard control for this substance. However, if conditions of use create discomfort to the worker, a local exhaust system should be considered.

Personal Respirators (NIOSH Approved):
For conditions of use where exposure to dust or mist is apparent and engineering controls are not feasible, a particulate respirator (NIOSH type N95 or better filters) may be worn. If oil particles (e.g. lubricants, cutting fluids, glycerine, etc.) are present, use a NIOSH type R or P filter. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-face positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator. WARNING: Air-purifying respirators do not protect workers in oxygen-deficient atmospheres.

Skin Protection:
Wear protective gloves and clean body-covering clothing.

Eye Protection:
Use chemical safety goggles. Maintain eye wash fountain and quick-drench facilities in work area.

Quote:
Chemical B

Hazards Identification

Emergency Overview
--------------------------
WARNING! HARMFUL IF INHALED. OVEREXPOSURE MAY CAUSE LUNG DAMAGE. MAY CAUSE EYE IRRITATION. INHALATION CANCER HAZARD.

Health Rating: 3 - Severe (Cancer Causing)
Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES

First Aid Measures

Inhalation:
Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical attention.

Ingestion:
If large amounts were swallowed, give water to drink and get medical advice.

Skin Contact:
Wash exposed area with soap and water. Get medical advice if irritation develops.

Eye Contact:
Wash thoroughly with running water. Get medical advice if irritation develops.

Accidental Release Measures

Ventilate area of leak or spill. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as specified in Section 8. Spills: Sweep up and containerize for reclamation or disposal. Vacuuming or wet sweeping may be used to avoid dust dispersal.

Exposure Controls/Personal Protection

Airborne Exposure Limits:
-OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):

Total dust: 30mg/m3/(% + 2)
Respirable Fraction: 10 mg/m3/(% + 2)

-ACGIH Threshold Limit Value (TLV):
0.025 mg/m3 (TWA) respirable dust, A2 -Suspected Human Carcinogen.

Ventilation System:
A system of local and/or general exhaust is recommended to keep employee exposures below the Airborne Exposure Limits. Local exhaust ventilation is generally preferred because it can control the emissions of the contaminant at its source, preventing dispersion of it into the general work area. Please refer to the ACGIH document, Industrial Ventilation, A Manual of Recommended Practices, most recent edition, for details.

Personal Respirators (NIOSH Approved):
If the exposure limit is exceeded and engineering controls are not feasible, a half-face high efficiency particulate respirator (NIOSH type N100 filter) may be worn for up to ten times the exposure limit or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. A full-face piece high efficiency particulate respirator (NIOSH type N100 filter) may be worn up to 50 times the exposure limit, or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. If oil particles (e.g. lubricants, cutting fluids, glycerine, etc.) are present, use a NIOSH type R or P filter. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-facepiece positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator. WARNING: Air-purifying respirators do not protect workers in oxygen-deficient atmospheres. Where respirators are required, you must have a written program covering the basic requirements in the OSHA respirator standard. These include training, fit testing, medical approval, cleaning, maintenance, cartridge change schedules, etc. See 29CFR1910.134 for details.

Skin Protection:
Wear protective gloves and clean body-covering clothing.

Eye Protection:
Use chemical safety goggles. Maintain eye wash fountain and quick-drench facilities in work area.

Well, what are they? NO GOOGLE ALLOWED - I want to see what people think these two chemicals are.

Some hints; Chemical A is sometimes used as a makeup ingredient and Chemical B is used in the construction industry so you may be exposed to them more often than you can imagine. Chemical A is rated as 5 on a scale of 1-5 for being comedogenic (causing breakouts).

Hazard a guess what the chemicals are and I'll reveal all after there have been a few more posts on this thread.

TISH1124

Silica/Mica would be my guess as at least one of them from my experience...But I did not read it in it's entirety because I don;t have the patience for all that

caffn8me

Neither is silica or mica although one is related to silica. Both require the use of gloves and body covering clothing as well as respirators if dust can't be controlled any other way (sometimes it can be in a fume cabinet for example).

TISH1124

I can tell you TITANIUM DIOXIDE is just as bad as using CRACK....but a lot of cosmetic companies use it...

user47

WOW! Thank you so much for posting this!

I'm definately NOT buying from CS anymore. I bought their original 88 palette when it first came out and whenever I use it, it makes my eyes burn like crazy! I'm throwing this out!

TISH1124

They are not the only company that uses Silica in their products ...Just say'n

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
I can tell you TITANIUM DIOXIDE is just as bad as using CRACK....but a lot of cosmetic companies use it...

That rather depends what you use it for
winks.gif

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsBaby4eva
WOW! Thank you so much for posting this!

I'm definately NOT buying from CS anymore. I bought their original 88 palette when it first came out and whenever I use it, it makes my eyes burn like crazy! I'm throwing this out!

Would you care to have a guess what the two chemicals I have given safety information are?

mochabean

WOW! Thanks for sharing this video. I have heard about the dangers of Silica. This was one of the reasons why I returned my MUFE HD powder and other things that contained it. I also will not buy from Coastal Scents anyl longer. They could have went another way in dealing with this and they're just being shady.

As far as guessing what the 2 chemicals are, I really have no clue. But after working a 12 hr shift my brain is dead and I can't really think. I know I'm taking all the fun out of the guessing here, but can you just tell us what the 2 chemicals are?? I'd like to know myself.

Dreamergirl3

I think the concern is mainly the inhalation of silica and/or contact with the skin if it's a high concentration. Silica is a great ingredient IMO, I love pressed powders that contain it as well as some loose powders. It's just not too high on the ingredients list.

Caffn8me, my only guess could be sand for chemical B...I know it's used in some construction and it's related to silica, however I don't know if sand would be considered a chemical, LOL! As for other one, I have no idea!

caffn8me

Dreamergirl3, you are 100% correct with sand - it's dried, washed sand (just the same as the stuff you'll find on the beach but cleaner). It is classed as a chemical in industrial applications and has a Material Safety Data Sheet - see here.

Next time you think of going to the beach, visiting the desert, filling your kid's play area with sand or mixing cement bear in mind how dangerous sand seems to be from the MSDS.

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochabean
As far as guessing what the 2 chemicals are, I really have no clue. But after working a 12 hr shift my brain is dead and I can't really think. I know I'm taking all the fun out of the guessing here, but can you just tell us what the 2 chemicals are?? I'd like to know myself.

One down, one to go. I think a few more folks can have a go at guessing rather than spoiling the fun so soon.

caffn8me

Great guess but it's not Bismuth Oxychloride.

mochabean

This thread is so interesting. I never would have guessed sand!! Definitely makes me think the next time I step onto a beach or mix cement!

starangel2383

wow, i for one am glad that i have never purchased from coastal scents. i had thought about it before but now am glad that i stuck with my regular cosmetics.

CreamPuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariii
wow! and I was just thinking of buying the blushes from coastal scents.. I really do not want to support someone that is willing to call our advocate an ignorant and act unprofessional.

This is the first video she did regarding the issue. She never said anything negative about them and once again it's not like they make the products they sell. They buy it in bulk from Hong Kong and there is a seller on ebay who sells the same stuff for cheaper. (Oops, wrong link the first time around)

YouTube - PLEASE WATCH!!!: Coastal Scents Silica IS NOT Make Up For Ever HD Powder

This isn't the first time this company and the owner Kathy behaved so unprofessionally either.

YouTube - Updates~~

coachkitten

Does coastal scents send Youtubers their products for review?

I don't think that I will be purchasing products from coastal scents. I don't apprecaite any business bullying their customers.

panda0410

chemical A - ammonium?

Frankly I think the whole debate has been blown way out of proportion. Silica is quite common and used in SO many products including commercial lubricants and in car components. So are we all going to boycot our cars? Are mechanics and tradesmen going to stop using lubricants? I dont think so.... The real issue is inhalation - I have a medical background and silicosis occurs almost exclusively in miners.... the scale of risk for use in cosmetics isnt remotely the same.

As for the companys response, it could have been handled much better. I dont buy their items, never have, but am not likely to now either.

Latest posts