Are Victoria's Secret bras really worth it?

X4biddenxLustX

Sadly, I've put on some weight which I am now trying to get off. So about 99.95% of my bras don't fit me anymore around the back strap area. Now I doubt that my actual boobs have gotten much bigger, well big enough to need new bras just for themselves. But all my bras have been feeling super tight and even more uncomfortable on me and I'm currently latching them on the last and loosest hook to no avail. I was wearing between a 34B (which were starting to get small before even the big weight gain) and 36B. I've gone to some discount department stores and tried looking for the next size up which I'm pretty sure logically would be a 38B right? Well I had no luck. I don't like spending a pretty penny on things like bras and undies.

I went to VS yesterday cause I had a ton of coupons for things (I will never shop at VS unless there is a special going on or I've got a coupon, too expensive at regular price!). They had a special offer going on where you could try out the new Heidi Klum bra in the dressing room and you don't need to buy it or anything but they'll take $5 off your purchase that day. Sounded good to me. I decided it would of been a great opportunity to figure out with the help of the SA there what size I actually am right now. We tried several different sizes and settled on that a 36C is the most comfortable so far. The back strap wasn't too too tight on me, much better than the bras I was trying to fit into and there was no "gap" or "bubble" in the cup of the bra. I bought the bra in pink but went home to realize that I don't like how the bra itself is but I liked the sizing and fit.

Now I have a ton of coupons for discounts mainly on bras and was wondering if there really is a difference with VS bras and department store brands? I use to scoff at the idea of spending that much money on a freakin bra. But I'm tired of trying to find bras that actually fit me and feel okay. The SA had told me that the bra sizes with the different styles are very consistent so it'll be much easier for me to pick out bras from there. I'm on there site and I'm looking for the cheapest priced bras they have and how much they'd be after discounts from coupons and offers. I only want to get like 3 at the most to rotate throughout the week.

Simply Elegant

Honestly, I don't think they're worth it. The hooks snap off or the underwire pokes through and they just don't last long. If you're plannin on losing the weight very soon, I would only buy a few because soon they won't fit you. Places like winner's and other stores like that have quality bras for $15 and less.

rachybloom

Honestly I think Victoria's Secret has really cute stuff, especially for "sexy lingerie", and they're more reasonably priced then a lot of the other brands, but I think their fit kind of sucks. I'm a 34B and I always feel like my strapless bras just don't support, like at all, and make my boobs look lower on my body.. and i'm only 18! I have a couple bras from there that I like, but I managed to score a Cosabella bra at Nordstrom Rack and it fits SO much better. No gaping in the cups, full support.. comfy too. So if you have a Nordstrom Rack near you they always have tons of really expensive brands (Cosabella, Hanky Panky, Bestey Johnson, etc) for under $30 (I got my Cosabella for 18.99 orig. 90.00)

Otherwise, I think department stores have legitimately good bras.. Victoria's secret is really a hit or a miss for me..If you find a bra that's perfect for you, it's worth it to invest in it. The Macy's by me always has a good selection of bras and they always have sales on the weekends too. good luck!

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
Honestly, I don't think they're worth it. The hooks snap off or the underwire pokes through and they just don't last long. If you're plannin on losing the weight very soon, I would only buy a few because soon they won't fit you. Places like winner's and other stores like that have quality bras for $15 and less.

Thanks for the honesty!

I've just been getting tired of wearing the same 2 bras (that's all I have that fit me kind of right now but both are getting uncomfortable and too tight) all the time.

Yeah, I don't plan on going MAD bra shopping, I can't afford it. 3 is enough and anymore than that is pushing it.

The biggest problem right now is size consistency with companies their different style bras and even finding one that actually even fits me properly. I had problems with this even way before the weight gain. Bras were just never comfortable.

Do you happen to know if there are any brands out (cheaper of course) there with sizes comparable to VS's? The 36C was just such a great fit.

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachybloom
Honestly I think Victoria's Secret has really cute stuff, especially for "sexy lingerie", and they're more reasonably priced then a lot of the other brands, but I think their fit kind of sucks. I'm a 34B and I always feel like my strapless bras just don't support, like at all, and make my boobs look lower on my body.. and i'm only 18! I have a couple bras from there that I like, but I managed to score a Cosabella bra at Nordstrom Rack and it fits SO much better. No gaping in the cups, full support.. comfy too. So if you have a Nordstrom Rack near you they always have tons of really expensive brands (Cosabella, Hanky Panky, Bestey Johnson, etc) for under $30 (I got my Cosabella for 18.99 orig. 90.00)

Otherwise, I think department stores have legitimately good bras.. Victoria's secret is really a hit or a miss for me..If you find a bra that's perfect for you, it's worth it to invest in it. The Macy's by me always has a good selection of bras and they always have sales on the weekends too. good luck!

Ugh, I wish I lived closer to the Nordstroms that we have here, we only have 1 so far that just opened up back in October.

I agree that VS is kind of just for the novelty really or trying to dress up for a night and be sexy. That's how I use to always think of their products, and I still to a point do. But I'm hooked on their undies though but I have enough and don't need to buy anymore from them cause of a special and coupon. Their undies truly fit me well especially the ones with the thick lace bands they give me more room and don't push into my sides, if that makes any sense? But yeah other than that I'm still not totally convinced about their bras even though I liked the 36C fit.

Right now I have 4 of their Secrets Rewards Cards that are each worth up to $10, I might use one towards a bra to just try if I find one that fits me well.

In a perfect world I could just grab any 36C bra or whatever sized bra I'm suppose to wear and get going!

Mabelle

i like VS. I'm on the bigger breasted side, and i find them the most comfortable. Ive had a couple of their bras for about 2 years and they're still in good shape. they're comfoortable and dont show through any clothes in a weird way.
Try Arie by American Eagle. I dont fit well into them, but i have a friend (i think 36 C) that LOVES them. They have promos going on a lot.

sweatpea559

Most of my bras are from victoria's secret and I love the fit and the air bras (I'm an A cup)! I've also had them forever... as long as you either hand wash them (they say hand wash on the lable. machine washing esp. drying will ruin ANY bra) or use a delicates bag they should last a long time. However, if you are planning on loosing weight, just go get a couple from target! lol... they aren't bad... just not as cute but whatever. You can get them for 5 or 10 dollars.

bcsweetascandy

Being that I'm a big-breasted girl, I think its definitely important to invest in quality bras that actually support you and are comfortable. The most important thing is get measured to find your correct bra size. I'd suggest going JcPenney's lingerie department...the associates will take youre measurements and help to fit you for the correct size bra and are extremely helpful!

HeavenLeiBlu

In short, no.

In my opinion, the sizes aren't even correct. VS is more of a glamour brand, and while they do a lot of cute bras, the quality has declined over the years. If you're a small to medium sized girl with a C cup and under, with little need for support, then VS bras are fine. Anything better than that, Only go to VS for something cute. For anything else, I say go for it, but for durable bras, get fitted at Nordies, Dillards, or a department store that carries prestige branded lingerie, buy a couple bras there, and keep the standards of those bras in mind when you go shopping for bras elsewhere. I find good bras at Target actually, but I don't hold them to the same standards that I'd hold a bra that retails for the standard range at VS.

macosophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylard
do you guys have a la senza? their stuff are super cute and super cheap.

I think La Senza is very similar to VS, if not even the same thing, only Canadian. I've only been buying La Senza for the past couple of years but I'm seriously thinking of moving on to something high end. It's time to give my boobs a treat!

xxManBeaterxx

Im unfortunate.. theres no VS where i live
ssad.gif

Ugh.. I feel you on the weight gain ((hello 30 pound weight gain in 6 months and counting
ssad.gif
)) But being pregnant i went from a 32B to a 36D, they are heavy as hell!!! and i think my husband is afraid of them LOL.

From the sound of it, it seems VS is only good for looks?

COBI

I am not a fan of VS at all. As someone else mentioned, I always have an issue with the underwires poking through the fabric usually within a few wearings/washings, plus they get ratty looking pretty quickly IMHO.

I would have never tried them, but a friend swore that Lane Bryant had the most comfortable bras, so I decided to give them a shot. I now almost exclusively buy their "balconette" style (unless I need something different for a specific top/dress.) I can't guarantee that every store will have the best variety of sizes, but they go down to 36C and up to 44DDD.

They often have sales on their bras; I stock up during the Buy 2, Get 2 Free sales which brings the price down to about $16 per bra. Plus if you sign up for their e-mail or mailing, you'll get $25 off coupons almost monthly. So, I love when I can couple that with bra sales.

Anyway, I have NEVER had one of the underwires poke out from these bras, and I've been wearing them for years now and even my older ones look fairly new. Also, the straps are wider, making them much more comfortable.

I put on one of my VS bras after wearing these for a while, and took it right off, I can't believe I ever thought they were good bras.

As an aside, I wear a 36 or 38D, depending. I think maybe VS bras work best for someone who needs a small size or whose primary concern is fashion, but not for real support or comfort. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Plus size bras, underwire bras, full coverage bras, cotton plus-size bras, lace bras, maternity bras and sport bras from Lane Bryant - Cacique

X4biddenxLustX

Thanks for all the input ladies! I just wanted and answer to the age old (well I've been wondering about it for the longest time now) if the VS bras are really all that?

I actually went to VS today and got a bra in the 36C that I was sized up in last time. It was one of the PINK line bras and it's super cute! The price was suppose to be $32.50 but there were a ton of misprints and a few of the other bras that were the same style and color had the price listed as $28.50. I was confused and asked a SA about it and she said that the actual price is $32.50 and she wasn't sure why it's all screwed up but would honor the the lower price for me. I used my $10 off plus free panty coupon and knocked the price down to $18.50 - totally not bad. But the bra is still too small, damn back fat!

I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess bring the bra back tomorrow after work, they were very understanding when I told them my bra problem. And if I can't find a good fit, I'll just exchange it for a PINK shirt (which are awesome IMO) or something and hold off on buying bras period. At least til I lose all this flab and can fit into a 36B again. This is sooo frustrating.

There is no sense in spending money on something that isn't going to fit 3 months from now =[

I live in Pennsylvania in the States, is there a La Senza around here? I've heard of it before once on another beauty forum but other than that haven't seen anything with their name or heard anything else about them before.

There is a Lane Bryant at the mall that I live by and I seen a ton of sale signs up. They might be closing...? Idk??? Either way I'll stop in if I have time tomorrow after work (I'm working 11-7 and the mall closes at 9, I have to walk everywhere too) and ask about their bras.

Mizz.Coppertone

they are worth it!i love the ''sexy little things'' stuff. u need to make sure u handwash and line dry. washer machines and dryers will help make the wire poke out.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizz.Coppertone
u need to make sure u handwash and line dry. washer machines and dryers will help make the wire poke out.

I'm glad they work for you. And I can't speak to the quality of the Sexy Little Things line specifically because they are mostly only available in B & C cups.

I don't handwash but I gentle wash in cold with a lingerie bag and for me, VS bras are the only bras I've ever had a problem with and I wash all my bras the same way. I've even had "cheap" bras last longer than my VS bras. In reality, I don't handwash or dryclean anything; cold on gentle cycle, and I've never had a problem with anything else. So for me, even if VS bras didn't poke out with handwashing; for the price, I can't be bothered personally.

One other thing I learned since switching to LB: they have the BEST strapless (it's actually convertible) bra I've ever worn. Even at a D cup, I never ever feel like it's going anyway, and it's uplifting/good support.

HeavenLeiBlu

I wanted to echo COBI's sentiemnts on LB bras... I thin about half of my most frequently worn bras are Cacique. I also get mine during their lingerie clearances.... I especially love their racerback bras. I have a couple of them that I've worn so much that the finish of the hardware has worn off, but the bra itself is good as new. If you are a fuller cupped girl, DEF go to LB.

X4biddenxLustX

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
I'm glad they work for you. And I can't speak to the quality of the Sexy Little Things line specifically because they are mostly only available in B & C cups.

I don't handwash but I gentle wash in cold with a lingerie bag and for me, VS bras are the only bras I've ever had a problem with and I wash all my bras the same way. I've even had "cheap" bras last longer than my VS bras. In reality, I don't handwash or dryclean anything; cold on gentle cycle, and I've never had a problem with anything else. So for me, even if VS bras didn't poke out with handwashing; for the price, I can't be bothered personally.

One other thing I learned since switching to LB: they have the BEST strapless (it's actually convertible) bra I've ever worn. Even at a D cup, I never ever feel like it's going anyway, and it's uplifting/good support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenLeiBlu
I wanted to echo COBI's sentiemnts on LB bras... I thin about half of my most frequently worn bras are Cacique. I also get mine during their lingerie clearances.... I especially love their racerback bras. I have a couple of them that I've worn so much that the finish of the hardware has worn off, but the bra itself is good as new. If you are a fuller cupped girl, DEF go to LB.

I use to always machine wash my bras. But I guess I'll be hand washing any ones I wear in the future.

I haven't gotten a chance to go to LB yet cause by the time I was almost done running around to go to the stores I really needed to go there the mall was just a few minutes from closing. Meh, stupid closing hours, they changed them the beginning this month. Do they have sizes in B or C cups?

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4biddenxLustX
I use to always machine wash my bras. But I guess I'll be hand washing any ones I wear in the future.

I haven't gotten a chance to go to LB yet cause by the time I was almost done running around to go to the stores I really needed to go there the mall was just a few minutes from closing. Meh, stupid closing hours, they changed them the beginning this month. Do they have sizes in B or C cups?

They don't have B cups that I've ever seen in the store or online.

They have C, but in the stores, you'll have to look for them as they are in the minority since LB caters typically to full-figured women. Online, they have more availbility in C cups.

Latest posts