How to Read the Batch Code on the Label of Your MAC Product

euphrosyne_rose

I've been meaning to ask about this. I saw on a YT video somewhere that someone mentioned that the letter/number combo stamped on the stickers of MAC products is an indication of when it was produced. For example, I have one that has an "A96" on the bottom (it's a lipglass) and from what I understand, the 6 means 2006. But, I also have a slimshine that has a 6 as the last number and I thought those were more recent than 2006.
Does anyone know anything about this or if this is correct? I've got quite a few lipglasses from the CCO nearby and a few of them have 6's and I think one even had a 5! I know there are guidelines for how long m/u stays "good" and how long you should keep things before you throw them away so if this is true, I need to check on the rest of my stuff!!

ticki

Re: Numbers on MAC labels

First Character: The batch order. A is the first batch, B is the second batch, etc.

Second Character: The month of production.
  • 1 = January
  • 2 = February
  • 3 = March
  • 4 = April
  • 5 = May
  • 6 = June
  • 7 = July
  • 8 = August
  • 9 = September
  • A = October
  • B = November
  • C = December
Third Character: The year of production

So a B78 would be the second batch in July of 2008.

Hope that helps!

TISH1124

Re: Numbers on MAC labels

^^^ what she said....My company hated the 3 digit lot/batch codes!

kokometro

Reading the numbers on Mac products

Last week I purchased a lip gelee from my free standing store with the numbers

A55 stamped on the box.

I had read sometime ago that those numbers meant

A: First run
5: May
5:2005

The date the product was made.

I might be off on the A but in anycase.. It was my understanding that
the last two digits tell the month and year it was manufactured.

I returned it and the MUA said that those numbers have nothing to do with the date. She'd never heard of it. I attempted to explain but stopped thinking maybe I didn't have it right. She'd been with Mac for 2+ years.

Would someone please point me to the info on how those numbers are to be read. I googled and searched this forum but am probably putting in the wrong keywords.

I felt so confident in my knowledge but now.. not so much.

If the numbers are what I believe they are.. why wouldn't the people who are supposed to rotate stock know that? Something that old should be long gone to the CCO.

TISH1124

Re: Reading the numbers on Mac products

Batch Codes

First: Letter = Batch Run
Middle: First Digit/Letter = Month
Last: Second Digit = Year

Batch Runs
A = First Run
B = Second Run
C = Third Run

Months
1 = January

2 = February
3 = March
4 = April
5 = May
6 = June
7 = July
8 = August
9 = September
A = October
B = November
C = December

(PLEASE NOTE: The month '0' does NOT exist!)

Year
The last digit normally represents the year of production.

(PLEASE NOTE: NEVER EVER purchase MAC products that are made ahead of the year you're in! For example, you're in 2007 but a 2009 batch of MAC product is already made.... )

Examples of batch codes:
· AC6 - First Run in December 2006
· C96 - Third Run in September 2006
· A44 - First Run in April 2004

TISH1124

Batch Codes

First: Letter = Batch Run
Middle: First Digit/Letter = Month
Last: Second Digit = Year

Batch Runs
A = First Run
B = Second Run
C = Third Run

Months
1 = January

2 = February
3 = March
4 = April
5 = May
6 = June
7 = July
8 = August
9 = September
A = October
B = November
C = December

(PLEASE NOTE: The month '0' does NOT exist!)

Year
The last digit normally represents the year of production.

(PLEASE NOTE: NEVER EVER purchase MAC products that are made ahead of the year you're in! For example, you're in 2007 but a 2009 batch of MAC product is already made.... )

Examples of batch codes:
· AC6 - First Run in December 2006
· C96 - Third Run in September 2006
· A44 - First Run in April 2004

RLevine4

Thank you so much for this post, this was really helpful. My girlie eyeshadow has a code of "AA5". Any idea why the AA??

xjslx

How do u tell if a product is authentic based on the batch code?

I only know how to read the batch codes, but that's it
th_dunno.gif
.... please help, thx!!

GlamQueen21

Re: How do u tell if a product is authentic based on the batch code?

If the batch code on the product matches the code on the box, then it's authentic. If the batch code on the box and the product doesn't match, then it's fake. Also, I would take pics of the product and show everyone so that we all can identify if it's authentic or counterfit.

xjslx

Re: How do u tell if a product is authentic based on the batch code?

cool... thank u and definitely will do this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLevine4
Thank you so much for this post, this was really helpful. My girlie eyeshadow has a code of "AA5". Any idea why the AA??

Check it out above. The first "A" means it is the first run of the month. The second "A" signifies the month of October. Hope that helped!

Re: Batch Code Numbers on MAC labels

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrosyne_rose
I've been meaning to ask about this. I saw on a YT video somewhere that someone mentioned that the letter/number combo stamped on the stickers of MAC products is an indication of when it was produced. For example, I have one that has an "A96" on the bottom (it's a lipglass) and from what I understand, the 6 means 2006. But, I also have a slimshine that has a 6 as the last number and I thought those were more recent than 2006.
Does anyone know anything about this or if this is correct? I've got quite a few lipglasses from the CCO nearby and a few of them have 6's and I think one even had a 5! I know there are guidelines for how long m/u stays "good" and how long you should keep things before you throw them away so if this is true, I need to check on the rest of my stuff!!

When it comes to your stuff being good, a lot of products have the symbol of a jar with a number and and M in it. That stands for the number of months, starting with the day the product was opened, that the product is good for. For example, my Sharkskin Shadestick has 24 next to it. Since I opened it in June of 2009, it's good until June of 2010.

The Bobbi Brown website has a good guide to reading your cosmetic labels:
Bobbi Brown :: Understanding Your Cosmetic Label

celestia

Quote:

Is it okay if the second number (corresponding to the month) is 'made ahead' of the release of a particular collection?

Say, A27 for a first batch in the month of february 2007 (example off the top of my head) for a collection released in June?

Given that something like this is normal, then would a collection in January 2007 be possibly made the year before, 4 or so months earlier? Or is this not considered 'ahead of the year you're in'?

I hope this doesnt sound too confusing D: I'm trying to understand it more thoroughly. I hope it doesnt come off as rude or anything, if so- apologies!

tarnii

I have been wondering whether there was any formula to all these codes. It is good to know how long something has been sitting on the shelf. Thanks so much

Ruby_Woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestia
Is it okay if the second number (corresponding to the month) is 'made ahead' of the release of a particular collection?

Say, A27 for a first batch in the month of february 2007 (example off the top of my head) for a collection released in June?

Given that something like this is normal, then would a collection in January 2007 be possibly made the year before, 4 or so months earlier? Or is this not considered 'ahead of the year you're in'?

I hope this doesnt sound too confusing D: I'm trying to understand it more thoroughly. I hope it doesnt come off as rude or anything, if so- apologies!

If its made before the release date, that is perfectly normal. They usually do make the product about 6 months before the release date.

And just a small FYI they do not teach us how to read a batch code. So if you ask your MA she might not know what you are talking about. It doesn't mean she doesn't know how to do her job, or anything, they just don't teach us.

I actually learned it here! I was helping out in stock at my old store, and saw a product that said A19 but it was the OLD studio fix, so it was from '99! lol Its handy info. Just remember that usually expiration date starts as soon as your product is exposed to air.

smiles.gif

sweetbabyblue

Hm, I thought my F&B was a orange for what it should be. It says AB8, so I guess it was made last year?
Rather annoyed because I brought it from the F&F sale and got it forwarded to Australia and it would cost me way too much for shipping to return for a refund. Grr!

Latest posts