Why the HELL has this nail polish stained my nails??????????

florabundance

OK, so I usually purchase Nails INC polishes and have never had this problem, but recently I bought 4 Barry M polishes and upon removing the colours, they have actually STAINED my nails this yellowish tint. WTF. I contacted them and was told that the packaging does state that it should be worn with base coat..but i've never had this problem with ANY other brand. So what the hell is in here that has stained my nails? Lol i'm so mad right now...with them and myself (should have bought base coat).
Has anyone else had this problem, and does this nasty tint (looks like chain smokers yellow finernails) grow out or WHAT?
TIA

sofie1507

i had that with an eyeko nail polish, the dark navy blue, it tined them a weird blueish colour. my nails looked bruised! but it came off after a day or so

florabundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofie1507
i had that with an eyeko nail polish, the dark navy blue, it tined them a weird blueish colour. my nails looked bruised! but it came off after a day or so

honestly it's ridiculous. my polish wasn't even YELLOW lmao. and then companies wonder why they don't fare well next to higher end lines.

kittykit

My China Glaze Spontaneous did the same thing to my nails. I usually don't use a base coat but OPI Natural Nails Strengthener. I had 2 coats under Spontaneous but it still stained my nails. I only had the polish on for 3 days.

The nail polish you have used may contain formaldehyde that cause the nails to turn yellow. Some dark colours nail polish will do cause that too. Try using a base coat next time and see if still stains your nails.

It may help to remove the stained area a little by buffing your nails gently.

sofie1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabundance
honestly it's ridiculous. my polish wasn't even YELLOW lmao. and then companies wonder why they don't fare well next to higher end lines.

infact now that i think about it, i clearly remember using a base coat by nails inc. but that didnt stop it from giving the bruised nail look

MACLovin

try soaking your nails in some water with lemon juice. the citric acid should help remove the stains.
smiles.gif

if that doesn't help, try actually rubbing a slice of lemon on your nails, then after you rinse, buff them out.

good luck!

MissResha

oh man, my China Glaze Tree Hugger did this to my nails. It looks disgusting. My nails are all green and look molded. Ugh.

kdemers1221

i read online that if you wear nail polish on your finger nails pretty often it can cause your nails to turn yellow because they need oxygen to keep their white color. lemon juice should help remove the tint, and wearing a base coat should help as well. dark color polishes are known for causing stains. hope that helps. you can google information about it as well.

BEA2LS

i have had all sorts of polish leave the tint - high end included. i think it's because i always wear nail polish..

MissResha

i'm gonna try that lemon juice thing, because my nails look disgusting without polish now. one of my friends actually said "Are you molding??" LMAO!

florabundance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha
i'm gonna try that lemon juice thing, because my nails look disgusting without polish now. one of my friends actually said "Are you molding??" LMAO!

LMAO oh man! Yeh i'll try it too, and report back
yes.gif

Thank u everybody
smiles.gif

hrockstar

Nails are porous so if the color molecules are small enough they will stain. I don't think it has much to do with the brand of polish, I actually think it has more to do with them staining when removing the color rather than it happening from wearing it.

I have used the lemon on my toenails (which are never without polish) and it works well.

when i get too crazy and don't wear gloves shampooing out color I clean my nails/hands with (don't cringe) a few squirts of Clorox Cleanup...the spray, *not* regular clorox. Amazingly it is actually kind of slimey and soft rather than harsh like i thought it would be...but then you have to deal with your hands smelling like cleaner.

RoseyPosey

Also, peroxide works well as well. soak them for a few minutes. it should help. I never have an issue but i always use a base coat.

buddhy

This happened to me once but it was blue (IIRC) and I put another nail polish on over the top and removed it when it was dry. It did help but didn't get it off 100%.

Worth a shot?

Lauren1981

lmao @ "chain smoker" nails
yes it grows out and yes i've had this happen before. normally with a dark colored nail polish.
i'll just take the color and either leave color off for about a week or if i polish right after i'll just put on a very light color
this has always happened to me when i wear dark colors and if i leave the color on for a while

Hikaru-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofie1507
infact now that i think about it, i clearly remember using a base coat by nails inc. but that didnt stop it from giving the bruised nail look

Can I ask you which one it was? The only one they make that's specifically to prevent your nails from staining is Underground, the other ones are still basecoats but they are more geared to be a treatment for your nails.

I've used all of them and to be quite honest I've never got "actual staining" when using one, darker colors will leave a residue on the skin around your nail and underneath the free edge especially if your nails/skin are dry but it should wear off in a day or two.

Hikaru-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabundance
OK, so I usually purchase Nails INC polishes and have never had this problem, but recently I bought 4 Barry M polishes and upon removing the colours, they have actually STAINED my nails this yellowish tint. WTF. I contacted them and was told that the packaging does state that it should be worn with base coat..but i've never had this problem with ANY other brand. So what the hell is in here that has stained my nails? Lol i'm so mad right now...with them and myself (should have bought base coat).
Has anyone else had this problem, and does this nasty tint (looks like chain smokers yellow finernails) grow out or WHAT?
TIA

You should always use a base coat regardless of the brand of polish your using, not only will it protect your nails from staining but it also makes the polish go on more evenly and it provides a sticky surface for the color to grab on to.

To get rid of the staining buff them gently with a buffer and lemon juice will whiten but it's also quite drying so use a cuticle oil and hand cream afterwards to put the moisture back in.

sofie1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru-chan
Can I ask you which one it was? The only one they make that's specifically to prevent your nails from staining is Underground, the other ones are still basecoats but they are more geared to be a treatment for your nails.

I've used all of them and to be quite honest I've never got "actual staining" when using one, darker colors will leave a residue on the skin around your nail and underneath the free edge especially if your nails/skin are dry but it should wear off in a day or two.

the one i have is called vitamin boots basecoat....should be called bruise boost basecoat!!

Latest posts