"Geek" Glasses/Geek Chic. what's your opinion?

Dollfaced

I love them.. but i don't wear them as much as i wish i could.
don't know if these count, but here are my favorite =)
l_7c04ba5d42564223a6c8374b176915-1.jpg

please, excuse the finger. haha

luvsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchieramone
You can get an anti-glare coating. It might be possible to have this done on your existing lenses if you don't need new ones apart from the glare problem but the coating is often included in the price of new lenses.

Thank you!!

I paid 14 dollars for my glasses and since I'm only really going to be wearing them as an accessory than for sight, do you know how much this will cost? Or is it DIY?

ritchieramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsic
I paid 14 dollars for my glasses and since I'm only really going to be wearing them as an accessory than for sight, do you know how much this will cost?

The (UK) optician I go to currently charges about £20/$33 for the coating. I think it's worth it since I need my glasses all the time but maybe not so much if you don't. It's an option though and this photo apparently shows the difference in appearance - the centre has the coating and the rest doesn't.

lens.jpg

luvsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchieramone
The (UK) optician I go to currently charges about £20/$33 for the coating. I think it's worth it since I need my glasses all the time but maybe not so much if you don't. It's an option though and this photo apparently shows the difference in appearance - the centre has the coating and the rest doesn't.

lens.jpg

Oooh goodness that's a lot
ssad.gif
but it makes a HUGE different. See, I'd just prefer an anti-glare coating because there really is a huge glare on the glasses and they then truely look...well, HORRIBLY geeky in a way I don't want *sigh*...I'd prefer them to look like the girls in the pictures posted here. But if i don't use them for vision 33 bucks really is pushing it. Especially since they're made of plastic. I'm not really sure what to do. Do you recommend anything else? Is there any way I could do it myself for cheaper?

And Dollface...aww your frames are heart shaped...those are cute.

ritchieramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsic
Do you recommend anything else? Is there any way I could do it myself for cheaper?

I'm really not sure, sorry. I've always had this done by my optician and I haven't heard of any DIY solutions. Good luck if you find a way of trying it out, though!
yes.gif

i hate it.

i have black framed glasses that are prescribed cause i have horrible vision. & will wear my regular framed 2nd pair of glasses now because i hate getting the "are those real or fake?".."is that the new fashion thing?"

on these "geek chic glasses" they've got that plastic fake look to them and are completely oversized.

User38

I love geek glasses..lol. I have bought myself a cheap pair in black and will be putting in my lenses.. maybe I will have the courage to post a pic!!

kelcia

Uhm, I desperately don't need glasses however,
I've been looking into buying a pair of plastic ones (like legit horn-rimmed thick black glasses) and I finally found a pair but last night forever21 put a pair on their site.. so i'm assuming it's going to become a big trend..
III think i'm going to buy them and call them 'reading glasses'

luvsic

^ hm, I don't know if it'll necessarily become a mainstream trend, because most people who live around my area don't wear them. I was guessing, and I could be completely off, that it's more popular in the LA scene, with certain celebrities and possibly the high fashion scene. Either way, I find them fun
smiles.gif
I am still trying to decide what to do with the huge glare in my glasses though
ssad.gif
I love them but it's getting really annoying...

HerGreyness, you should take a picture!!
smiles.gif

shea_47

I live in Northern Ontario and the trend has not caught on at allllll here. I wore my geek glasses to work today and people were giving me funny looks all day.
shrugs.gif
Oh well. I like the geek chic thing.

IMG_6113.jpg

Please excuse the ratty hair/makeup. This was from last night when I got home after a bonfire at 2 am.

luvsic

Oh my god, you look so freakin' adorable!! Are those prescribed glasses? (there's no glare, which is good
smiles.gif
)

Yeah, I live down in the south in the US....the trend DEFINITELY has not caught on here. I don't think it ever will, either :p

shea_47

Nope, they're not prescription, they're actually from American Eagle about a month ago...there were 3 pairs of these in the display when I bought them, and the other two pairs were still sitting there when I cruised the mall yesterday...

MAChostage

I think I would LOVE to find a pair of cateye-style glasses! It's time for me to get a new prescription and although I've already purchased Bebe's Cookie from an online retailer, I'm not totally happy with them. I wish they were larger (I've got a round face). Anyone seen any nice ones anywhere lately?

luvsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shea_47
Nope, they're not prescription, they're actually from American Eagle about a month ago...there were 3 pairs of these in the display when I bought them, and the other two pairs were still sitting there when I cruised the mall yesterday...

I think I actually like yours more than mine! How much were they? Mine has a really, REALLY bad glare, one that kind of makes me look like an buggy-eyed alien (lol, it's hard to describe) so I am not too happy with how the lenses are kind of "rounded" instead of just flat, like yours. I was just in a hurry to buy some because I thought I wouldn't be able to find them anywhere else
ssad.gif
sigh, should have waited.

Miss QQ

You girls are lucky you look gorgeous in these glasses. As much as I like them, I can't wear them because my head is quite asymmetrical and one side of the ear hook needs to be shorter than the other. Also, they are heavy and I wear glasses all day everyday, and I prefer lightweight ones.

ksaelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAChostage
I think I would LOVE to find a pair of cateye-style glasses! It's time for me to get a new prescription and although I've already purchased Bebe's Cookie from an online retailer, I'm not totally happy with them. I wish they were larger (I've got a round face). Anyone seen any nice ones anywhere lately?

I love love love D&G glasses...i bought mine 2 months ago @ lenscrafters...got a mighty nice discount too from my insurance...:p i have a round face too...and my glasses are smaller rectangular frames...i saw some huge "GEEK" ones though...they were cute on my bf but not me...
th_LMAO.gif

Navessa

LOVE THEM!

here's the first pair i bought (almost 5 yrs ago):
DSCF2252.jpg

(reminds me of drew carey).

luvsic

ksalee, i can't see the picture
ssad.gif

aww you ladies look great in your glasses
greengrin.gif

I wore mine out in public today!! Trust me, I got a lot of O________O looks ll...but I don't care, they're awesome
smiles.gif
my friend who met me at the mall actually complimented them! It's more hipster than I usually dress so my old co-workers were surprised, but they liked them...and I loved wearing them, they're so unique!

Latest posts