"Geek" Glasses/Geek Chic. what's your opinion?

luvsic

Hey all, it's been a while since I've made a fashion post I feel, so here is another one
smiles.gif

This will garner no in-between answers, probably, and they're still a little avant-garde for the every day. I myself am afraid of trying to pull them off...in fact, I don't even know where I'd find a pair =P plus, I feel they're kind of useless because I do have a pair of real glasses.

But, without futher ado, what do you think of "geek" glasses?

24.jpg

luella_look.jpg

celebsqglasses_450x450.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/q...g?t=1245048969

My mom thinks they're horrendous. I don't know though, I find them endearing for some reason. HOWEVER, You must pair them with the right outfit or you'll end up with a trainwreck. I was thinking of pairing them with my regular "geek chic" outfit but I don't know if that would be overkill.

See, geek chic on the other hand, is a style I adore. Again, you must know how to pair up the right pieces or else you WILL end up looking like a super outdated geek. And we don't want that.

I wear this (something similar)..and actually got *gasp* compliments!!
greengrin.gif

MM732273.jpg

00080m.jpg

2mo9lbo.jpg

^ LOVE this look.

So geek glasses - they're definitely not for the faint of heart. I feel like if I wore these around campus I'd just be bombarded with the following reactions:

shockt.gif

nope.gif

th_LMAO.gif

th_confused_new.gif

yucky.gif

or maybe even...

thmbup.gif
, but just maybe
smiles.gif

But geek chic, on the other hand, I totally dig.
yes.gif

What do you guys think?

widdershins

I love this look. I think it's uber cute. And Johnny Depp looks extra yum in them. Definitely don't be afraid to wear them on campus--you'll look quirky gorgeous
smiles.gif

nunu

I like them if they are rectangular sized (like the pictures macnoob85 posted) but if they are round and long, it's a no no for me.

metal_romantic

They can look good... or bad.
I think the "geek" look is about saying "I'm interested in more important things than fashion", and therefore...
wearing them because it's fashionable to do so.... bad
wearing them without even knowing they were fashionable... possibly good

...so if you know they're fashionable? Maybe not so good... I'm undecided.

chocolategoddes

I wear glasses similar to the first guy in the second row of that celeb photo grid. (not the ones in my avatar) I love the geek chic look. My style is much more casual compared to the runway looks, but it's sooo my style!
There was a girl at my high school who fucking ROCKED the geek chic look every day. One day, she wore these pair of "Grandpa glasses", a bright vintage t-shirt, high waisted jeans with suspenders, and high top sneakers.
She totally pulled it off, too.

k.a.t

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu
I like them if they are rectangular sized (like the pictures macnoob85 posted) but if they are round and long, it's a no no for me.

What she said.
smiles.gif

Oh but that doesn't include Mr. Depp..
love.gif
drools.gif

hhunt2

Geek glasses are so cool, but it's more of a costume item.
I always think of Buddy Holly...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_slmprLWccJ...-On-726588.jpg

Back during my junior year of high school (2003), I was a "preppy geek".
When I dressed "geek", I loved it.
I had bought a few glasses (more of the long rectangle shape) from Hot Topic for $7 at the time. I also would wear a tight fitting hoody sweater (usually bright red) with a long sleeve plaid top under. The collar of the shirt (popped up), cuff and bottom portion of the top would be exposed out of the sweater. With denim and red slip-on Van's to match. I was so cool, lmao. I would walk around school with a big smile. If I looked silly, at least people would remember me.

Currently, the sunglass version is everywhere.
As seen on RayBan's website: Ray-Ban Official Website
But with the 1950's office attire is very cute. I love the 1950's era.
More props to you if you sport the look even with people saying "wtf?".

luvsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins
I love this look. I think it's uber cute. And Johnny Depp looks extra yum in them. Definitely don't be afraid to wear them on campus--you'll look quirky gorgeous
smiles.gif

aww
smiles.gif
well I would hope so!!! I might just wear them to fashion club meetings.

I think I like the rectangular top glasses more than the circular Harry Potter-esque ones. I still like the larger geek-glasses though too :X they're bold and odd. I was kind of a geek myself during high school, and began to start loving fashion in college, so I thought to myself, what better way to whimsically remember my geekiness and combine my new found love for style than geek-chic fashion?

I found pairs at metro park I might be able to work with:

Metropark / Metropark / Geek Glasses

Metropark / Metropark / Buddy Holly Glasses

haha. I already have glasses for eye sight, but these are more of a fashion statement, I guess :O

macnoob85, you rock those girl!

chocolategoddess, love those glasses that he's wearing...you should post a pic! I want a pair myself.

MzzRach

Overall, I really like this type of look, especially when it suits a person's personal style and personality. I dig it.

Meisje

I think glasses, especially heavy rims, are as hot as hell. I don't care if they're on a man, woman, dog, or fire hydrant.

OneDollarBuddha

My everyday glasses are geeky. A few years ago I switched from mostly invisible rims to big chunky rectangle ones. My bf and coworkers all think they're adorable on me, so I'm happy.
I fully support geek chic, but it seems totally silly if you don't need glasses to see.

vocaltest

I love geek glasses a la Weezer style. Have they only just come out on the runways? Excuse the dumb face, but heres mine:

DSC00721i.jpg

luvsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
I love geek glasses a la Weezer style. Have they only just come out on the runways? Excuse the dumb face, but heres mine:

DSC00721i.jpg

One word: HOT. You totally are working those, girl.

I want THOSE glasses! they're effin' awesome!!

macnoob85

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle89
I don't like them. It's like faking bad vision to me.

I agree, with the faking part. If you don't have bad vision, then wearing glasses is kind of dumb. I, on the other hand, actually can't see, lol. My glasses aren't a fashion statement, I actually bad vision.
winks.gif

Latest posts