"Geek" Glasses/Geek Chic. what's your opinion?

revinn

I think they're awesome. Hell, you're in college! This is the time to get away with trying out crazy trends! At least, that's what I tell myself.. Maybe I'll get myself a pair; I'm due for new frames as it is.

Tahti

I think it's pretty awesome actually! I have terrible eyesight, and I usually wear contacts, but I'm sick of them... my eyes get terrible in the summer from hay fever ;/ I'm going to the opticians today to get a new pair of glasses as I lost mine about 3 weeks ago.

I love the idea of big geek glasses because eye makeup can actually be VISIBLE behind them! My last pair were rectangular mod glasses, and they totally overshadowed my eyes, they were too big and statement-y.

I hope I can find a pair, not entirely sure if I can pull them off though ;O I'll have to wait and see... I always spend about 2 hours trying on glasses at the opticians, lol!..

luvsic

Well, I already have bad vision lol, but I don't necessarily if I'd want to get my "geek glasses" prescribed. I wouldn't want to wear them every day since they don't match with everything, and to me, they're just a fashion accessory, like a necklace. I just would want to put them on when I want to add a little attitude to my outfits. But I don't know.
th_dunno.gif

I need to get some at Nordstrom!! They're even cheaper than the Metropark ones!!

staceb1990

I'm so happy that glasses are in style now. I'm too lazy to wear contacts everyday, so I'm always wearing glasses. And i actually look better in my glasses then I do without.

Bbatcave

I own huge Persol glasses for my prescription.
I HATE having people ask if they're real or not.
I guess I'll just have to deal till the fad has past-

chocolategoddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsic
chocolategoddess, love those glasses that he's wearing...you should post a pic! I want a pair myself.

They're pretty geeky but still wearable.
berklee058.jpg

Don't I just look happy to be alive?
smiles.gif

EDIT: I was looking at this picture for a while and totally reralized how much I look like my dad when I wear glasses. :S

Tahti

I got myself a pair of library nerd glasses, I love them! And more than that, everyone else seems to love them too and keeps asking to try them on xD Geek FTW!

CantAffordMAC

I have TERRIBLE vision, and recently started wearing contacts. I would never buy a pair of these glasses that were actually prescription, because I would feel like it was more for fashion, and if I needed to wear them to see.....just no. Because id end up taking them off for some reason. id rather be able to take them off, and have my contacts on and still be able to see, than to not be able to take these off.

But they are really cute, maybe Ill get a pair. I wouldnt wear a complete geeky outfit though, Id just wear like, jeans and a t shirt?

luvsic

^^ yeah, I think I would wear something really casual with the glasses, probably just cute shorts/jeans and a v-neck boyfriend t-shirt, and maybe a blazer too if I feel like it. On daring days I might wear one of the "geek" outfits I posted in the OP.

Chocolategoddess, you look so cute.
smiles.gif

luvsic

SO....

I GOT A PAIR. And it's definitely something that needs getting used to. I got the pair from metropark, the buddy holly glasses.

1237232590.89494.1.jpg

And yep, my sister's first response was definitely
shockt.gif
... it was really funny actually. She seemed a *little* more persuaded when she saw her lover, Zachary Quinto, wearing them though. Strange how when celebrities sport "questionable" fashion choices it automatically becomes ok to the general public *rolls eyes*

I think it'll take some guts to wear them out but I'm happy for now. My friend, who is a little more conservative, thinks they're cute. They're a little overpowering for my face but I think I'll find a way to work them. I just have to style my hair right and I have to MAKE SURE I wear makeup with them or else I risk looking like...well, a real nerd :p

Mabelle

I want a pair SO badly.

When im in the costume room, i often wear them and pretend im Mrs Buddy Holly. roowww

Kalico

I love the statement it sorta makes. Like, "I'm sexy and I know it - so I don't have to take myself too seriously."

Seems too obvious when some people do it... like Kanye West. GAG. But you could pull it off so easy.

Amantis

While it looks pretty awesome on some people, I'm not a big fan of the geek style glasses myself. However, I love those slim ones with metal frames that make you look like an executive. I used to wear them as a kid, but because I have a pretty small nose and the fact that the frame is plastic, they kept slipping off. Slipping off = not a good look!

funkychik02

I used to wear the hugest geeky glasses when I was 6. They had an E.T logo on them. People laughed, but I was ahead of my time?!

luvsic

^^ haha maybe. they're totally back in style, at least in the hipster scene
smiles.gif

Ok, I have a problem...does anyone know how to make my plastic frames have not such a huge glare? I feel like everything reflects off of them and I end up just looking super dorky
ssad.gif
do I need to get the frames replaced?

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychik02
I used to wear the hugest geeky glasses when I was 6. They had an E.T logo on them. People laughed, but I was ahead of my time?!

For a time when I was 6, I wore a pair of red plastic frames that I unearthed from only-God-knows-where. They had no lenses. I didn't need glasses- I just thought they were cool. They were pretty nerdy. I guess I was ahead of my time too.

ritchieramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsic
Ok, I have a problem...does anyone know how to make my plastic frames have not such a huge glare? I feel like everything reflects off of them and I end up just looking super dorky
ssad.gif
do I need to get the frames replaced?

You can get an anti-glare coating. It might be possible to have this done on your existing lenses if you don't need new ones apart from the glare problem but the coating is often included in the price of new lenses.

Latest posts