Good primer for oily skin???

BaDKiTTy69

I am still looking for a good primer for my oily skin.
I tried MAC Matte, MAC Prep and Prime, MAC SPF50, Smashbox Light and all of them just ok, not so great. Recently I got box of potions from Urban Decay. I had a lot of big hopes for they primers. But they both sucked. Especially Pore minimizer one, I was all shiny after like 30 mins.
ssad.gif
Can anyone recomend something else?
th_dunno.gif

MzzRach

I LOVE DermaDoctor's TeaseZone - it controls oil very well, and does not have a ton of silicones like a lot of primers have (which can cause problems for my skin).

Try a sample from Sephora - they carry it.
yes.gif

L1LMAMAJ

well i don't know if this would be considered a "primer" but people have used milk of magnesia under their foundation for oily skin. i don't have oily skin and i've never used it but i've only heard good things about MoM. you could check out reviews on makeupalley. all i've heard is that it's awesome and cheap!

dietcokeg

i was just about to say milk of magnesia too, its great for oily skin but becarefull if u hv combination skin or skin that is not so much on the oily side milk of amgnesia has been known to really dry out ur skin, so unless u really do have an oil problem dnt use it 2 much. i got photo finish primer light ( i too hv oily skin) and i find it really does nothing for me.

BaDKiTTy69

wow... milk of magnesia? huh??!!! lol.. isnt a laxative or something? hehe i might have to try it, its so cheap so i have nothing to loose
smiles.gif

Fataliya

I use Milk of Magnesia, almost every day. It helps a TON with the shinies, but it won't COMPLETELY get rid of it.

I've been lazy lately, and haven't been using the MoM, just my LG Spackle. I still get shiny on my nose and forehead, but since I'm on break every hour, I just run my powder brush across and I'm fine.

GucciGirl

Hi there, Sephora sells a mattifier by Peter Thomas Roth and it has really helped me out. Its a little pricey at $35 so maybe try a sample before you buy it. While I was there I also tried out the Too Faced Primed and Poreless and Urban Decay Pore Perfecting Primer Potion. Both were ok but afterwards my skin was too matte! It had no slip so I would imagine that your makeup wouldnt apply as smoothly.

On a side note I usually have very oily skin! I mean mattifier was part of my everyday routine but since I switched my skin routine it I wouldnt consider my skin oily anymore. I am now using MAC green tea cleanser and Moisturelush moisturizer. Normally an oily girl wouldnt dare use the moisturelush but since the cleanser sucks ALL the oil out your skin-below what you would normally want- the thick moisturizer brings it back up to normal without being dry or too greasy.

BaDKiTTy69

I started to use milk of magnesia and so far i love it. I still get a little shine, but not like i used to. My makeup looks so much better at the end of the day too, probably because I dont touch my face as much anymore. I returned all my urban decay primers last night. So, thank you all. Iam probably gonna try other primers to find the perfect one, but for now MOM will do just fine.

breezybabe89

I actually just posted in another thread about my favorite matte product! It's called Model in a Bottle spray. You spray it on after you apply your makeup and it's fabulous. I never have to touch up or blot throughout the day. It also keeps my mascara from running during a sob fest! This is by far my holy grail product for keeping my skin from getting shiny. It's pretty inexpensive, only $17.50 for a bottle with over 300 sprays. They have a website modelinabottle.com or you can get it at amazon.com and overstock.com. I highly recommend that you try this! Here's a picture of the product.
P10350026.jpg

LoveMU

How do you use the Milk of Magnesia? I am curious because I want to use it

I currently use the Makeup Forever primer and I like it

coachkitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMU

I am interested in knowing this as well. TIA!

BaDKiTTy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMU

I currently use the Makeup Forever primer and I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachkitten
I am interested in knowing this as well. TIA!

I shake the bottle really good, then I take a cotton ball and apply it all over my face (pretty much my whole face is getting oily thats why i apply it on the whole face). I apply it kinda like if it was a toner. Let it dry, it will leave some white residue, rub it with your fingers and thats it, the face is ready for foundation. I used my MAC MSFN and bare minerals matte with this stuff and it works pretty good.

Spengl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaDKiTTy69
I shake the bottle really good, then I take a cotton ball and apply it all over my face (pretty much my whole face is getting oily thats why i apply it on the whole face). I apply it kinda like if it was a toner. Let it dry, it will leave some white residue, rub it with your fingers and thats it, the face is ready for foundation. I used my MAC MSFN and bare minerals matte with this stuff and it works pretty good.

That sound great, I'll definitely try it.

Lotte

Lancome - La Base Pro
But I have heard great things about YSL Matte primer

I think this is absolutely the best one !

malaviKat

It's funny... I think you've listed all the primers I've tried! :p I too am plagued by oily skin and have been for years! I feel your pain.
smiles.gif

Of my favourites thus far are MAC's Matte texture, MAC's Prep & Prime SPF50, MAC's Skin Refined Zone and Fyrinnae's Velvet Gel Silica Primer. (I almost want to say it's my HG primer.)

My less than favourites are MAC's Oil Control Lotion and MAC's Prep and Prime skin.

Currently, I do the following:

1) Wash face. (Juice Beauty's cleansing gel with a natural sponge for exfoliation.)
2) Moisturize lightly. (Juice Beauty moisturizer or Lush's vanishing cream.)
3) Face meds if necessary (Aquagel)
4) MAC Prep & Prime SPF50 (all over)
5) Fyrinnae Velvet Gel Silica Primer (t-zone)

note: Depending on the weather, I may skip the moisturizer (step 2) and simply use P&P SPF50. In addition, sometimes I will add MAC's Matte texture and/or Skin Refined Zone to the t-zone between step four and five...depending on what I plan to do for the day.

6) Foundation/concealer
7) MAC MSFNatural (w/ a 182 brush)
8) other face makeup
9) MAC Prep & Prime translucent finishing powder (lightly w/ a 150)

... I have always had oily skin. But this combination has really, really cut back on oil production, especially on my forehead. When I'm being bad, I've played entire soccer games in full face makeup and I've seen little to no shine build up on my face (for better or worse.) I've also found that the added exfoliation has dramatically decreased any small blackheads that I used to have on my forehead. (Weird since I now use more product than I ever did.)

To be honest though... I think of everything, Fyrinnae's Velvet Gel primer is what has done the trick. I don't just use it during the day under makeup. I also use it at night after a nighttime moisturizer and it has really regulated my skin in a way that nothing else has managed to do.

Meisje

Honestly, I find my face becomes an oil slick if I get off my skin care routine --- especially if I forget to moisturize before bed.

Latest posts