Lime Crime Lipstick

hickle

I've never tried any of Lime Crime's makeup, but I have read her tutorials which I've enjoyed. I didn't see the link to Xenia's response in this thread, and I figure it's worth listening to her side of the story: Lime Crime here to stay! | Doe Deere Blogazine

I do see what the blogger Lillian means about Xenia looking for sympathy with her story about how hard it was for her to come to America with her family. At the same time though, when I was reading through the comments left on Lillian's post about her Lime Crime Lipstick Dilemma, I did get the sense that a lot of the commenters were jealous. Xenia is kind of a goth version of Tila Tequila, in that she has become a bit of celebrity through myspace/youtube. Much like Tila Tequila, I think the reason females like her is because they want to be her, and those that don't feel threatened by her. When I read Xenia's blog posts, sometimes I think she's cool, and sometimes I think she's coming off as a pretentious bitch.

I guess what I'm saying is I think the truth lies somewhere in between both sides of the story. I don't doubt that Xenia sold some crappy quality clothes, and I wouldn't be surprised if when confronted with it she told people to fuck off because it was their fault for buying her shit in the first place. On the other hand, I do believe what Xenia was saying about not being able to get to where she is today by lying, cheating, and being an all around bitch. However, I felt her little speech at the end about how hard her life was when she first got to America to be absolutely irrelevant and a pathetic plea for sympathy.

Even if Xenia was a total bitch to Lillian one time, I don't think it's a reason to boycott Lime Crime all together. People make mistakes. The lesson for Xenia here is that if she's going to be the spokesmodel/face of her company, then she needs to stay out of the internet drama.

Regarding the allegations of her products being repackaged from other companies, I think if you took any eye shadow from your favorite brand, be it MAC, Smashbox, Urban Decay, etc., you can probably find a dupe for it somewhere out there.

As an advocate of free speech, I believe everybody has the right to post whatever they want on the internet. Unless Xenia can prove that she absolutely did all the testing in the labs exactly as she says she did, she can't tell people to take down their blog posts because they are libel. At the end of the day, each of us has our own mind which we will have to make up on our own. The one thing that kind of bothers me about this thread is how quick people are to jump on the anti-Xenia bandwagon. I don't think it's fair to formulate your opinion on Lime Crime based on one person's negative experience with the founder of the brand. If there's one thing I'd ask of all of you it's that you look at the information presented critically before making up your mind one way or another.

That being said, I'll probably pick up some samples from beauty from the earth before I do at Lime Crime.

LMD84

hhmmm i watched her video and i do feel sorry for her. however yes she should have left out the little story because it has nothing to do with the original point of the video.

however that said unfortunately i think the stuff is quite pricey for what it is, and i can't help but think you can't get smoke without fire. i'll stay buying other brands for now

Meisje

I watched the video and I felt bad for her. After watching it, I choose to believe that she's genuine. She needs thicker skin --- if she continues to be successful and gets that emotional and defensive over people not liking her company, she's going to turn herself inside out.

Healthy skepticism should always be applied to what you read online. So much of it is unsourced and based in opinion.

At this point it would benefit her to consult a Public Relations person. They would definitely have advised against that video and gotten her to address this in a different way.

(edit: the forum kept turning the p and r for public relations into "Page Ranking"? wtf)

hickle

I agree w/ what you said about taking everything w/ a grain of salt in regards to what you read online. I think people are being a little vicious towards her when they say that she is completely ripping off these other lines and repackaging their products. The truth is, if you want to buy an entire ounce of loose pigment for $4 you're free to do so and mix your own colors and whatever else you want to do with them. Xenia is selling a service, which is the packaging and color selection. If you look at that wholesale pigment site, they have over 200 color choices! That seems pretty overwhelming to me. The service Xenia is providing is valid and useful. I feel like some people would be calling her a scam artist unless she was grinding pigments with a pestle and mortar herself! I think a less vindictive way to structure everyone's criticisms of Lime Crime's colors would be to say, "Beauty from the Earth's Green Apple is a great dupe for Lime Crime's Elf" instead of "Xenia is just repackaging BFTE's green apple."

I'm going to stop caring now.

LillianLow

Hello,
I'm Lillian. Hickle i'm afraid you got me confused with someone else, i never said she was looking for sympathy in her video (when she said how hard it was coming to america) other people did though. Oh and after the dress fiasco she sent me an email which was just about how hard her life was without offering any form of apology.
The thing that i objected to the video because she implied that anyone with a complaint about her was lying.
And i absolutely agree that if it was just what she said about my Mum it would be no reason to boycott her, but she's done so much dodgy stuff in the past! And even then i'm not asking anyone to Boycott her i just want all the information to be available so people can make a fully informed decision
smiles.gif

Ciani

I love the look of the packaging but I unfortunately bought 5 of her magic dust eyeshadows and I was really sad as well as mad at myself for wasting $60 on something I already owned at least 4 of the 5 from Beauty from the Earth.

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickle

As an advocate of free speech, I believe everybody has the right to post whatever they want on the internet. Unless Xenia can prove that she absolutely did all the testing in the labs exactly as she says she did, she can't tell people to take down their blog posts because they are libel. At the end of the day, each of us has our own mind which we will have to make up on our own. The one thing that kind of bothers me about this thread is how quick people are to jump on the anti-Xenia bandwagon. I don't think it's fair to formulate your opinion on Lime Crime based on one person's negative experience with the founder of the brand. If there's one thing I'd ask of all of you it's that you look at the information presented critically before making up your mind one way or another.

This is a very important point that keeps striking me, and it's probably the reason why her new video grates on me. I mean, people come up with theories all the time ("JFK's death was a government conspiracy," for example), but you don't have to believe them. She's made her speech, now she has to produce products to back her reputation up rather than attempt to make everyone with a negative review remove said review.

However, I would like to point out that not buying Lime Crime and/or pointing out that cheaper products are the same thing isn't necessarily "anti-Xenia." I won't buy Lime Crime's "magic eye dusts"--or most pigments, for that matter--because I just order samples from TKB Trading, and they are more than enough for me. I'm the same way with MAC: I'd rather look around for weeks to buy drugstore eyeshadows that work just as well as a $15 MAC shadow than just rush out to buy a MAC shadow because it's trendy and looks good, but that doesn't make me "anti-MAC." It just makes me thrifty (or cheap, depending on your opinion
winks.gif
).

I will look around for lipsticks in similar shades for at least a month before I even think about plonking down $16 of my hard-earned money for a single shade. If I can't find any, then okay, Xenia wins $50-some bucks from me. But if I can find some for even half the cost, my money goes to the other company, and I will not be afraid to say, "Hey, these lipsticks are pretty much the same thing and are half the price."

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikke
Could any of you that has both the Limecrime and Beauty from the earth products post pictures?

Several links are provided in previous entries that show swatches comparing the two, as well as TKB Trading, the company that supplies BftE's micas.

astronaut

I'm getting the airborne unicorn lipstick. Don't care what some say. I've been a fan of hers for years.

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyRhythm
I don't know if you guys have seen this or not:
YouTube - WSITN: Lime Crime Lipstick Review

I absolutely LOVE Richie Nickel; I think he's a doll, and his make-up is always flawless. But...it's hard for him to find an item that DOESN'T work for him. He uses plenty of primer and is just amazing at make-up application. The fact that so many other reviews say the formula is drying and difficult is the view I'm more likely to go with, not because I'm all, "OMG I HATE LIME CRIME," because I'm not, but because his review is the only glowing one I've found, and because he IS just that damn good.

If that makes sense, LOL!

I knew he was going to be all, "OMG D'LILAC." The man has a ridiculous number of pastel purple and pink lip colors. :p

shatteredshards

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla
But Xenia did do a post on her blog about how she made them so it sounds like she did these from scratch.

The thing is, she claimed the same thing about the eye dusts from the beginning, and even in response to the people coming out saying they were dupes. Repacking is one thing, being a liar is another.

Kragey

Because this has turned in to a general discussion about LC, I have to ask what's going on here: E Y E S H A D O W S L U T S

And I'm not being a wench, I'm seriously curious as to what all of the fuss about. We post "dupe lists" all the time; what's the issue with somebody posting a LC dupe list?

The lukewarm review, too...why complain about it? Lots of companies get crap reviews, and they just move on and fix their product or make new ones. I just posted a semi-crappy review of Wet n' Wild lipsticks that said you have to crush them to make them usable, so are they going to make me remove that review?

EDIT: Apparently, there's a blog response -- http://www.doedeereblogazine.com/art...ternet-bullies

shatteredshards

Kinda typical of Xenia - she's gotta call her internet lawyer if anyone doesn't agree with her.

I've been following her for quite awhile, back when she still did Sky Salt, even (because someone touted her less-than-mediocre singing ability on the forum of another band, and I wound up giving it a 10-second shot). She's always seemed kinda fakey, always seemed to like drama. Yes, she posted some cool eyeshadow looks, but that's where it ends. She's a complete sheep, copying everyone else, she just has a louder baaaa than others.

hickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragey
And I'm not being a wench, I'm seriously curious as to what all of the fuss about. We post "dupe lists" all the time; what's the issue with somebody posting a LC dupe list?

There's a difference between saying "Apple green is a good dupe for lime criminal" and "Xenia is repackaging eye shadows from Beauty from the Earth."

Xenia is totally burying herself with the multiple responses to the internet drama. I wish she'd read this and realize she needs to stop giving people responses because that's what they're looking for. All her posts make her look like an egomaniac.

Meisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickle
Xenia is totally burying herself with the multiple responses to the internet drama. I wish she'd read this and realize she needs to stop giving people responses because that's what they're looking for. All her posts make her look like an egomaniac.

That first video was understandable but now it's starting to seem... kind of shrill. Responding just the once (if at all) and moving on would have been advisable.

Goat Goat Etc.

Holy Crap! I'll never give limecrime a cent!

Edit:12/2/09
Gothique's cached blog entry"LimeCrime-A history" has been removed. Totes wish I would have copy+pasted! It was fantastic!

You won't find this on Gothique's blog anymore because Doe Deere threatened to sue her unless she took it down.
It's cached.
Lime Crime Lipstick, A Review Gothique
This too.
Accidental Discovery Gothique
Or this.
YouTube - unusual Lip colours and a rant about Lime Crime makeup Part 1
YouTube - Lime Crime MakeUp Review
The Straight Dope, From Doe Deere | afrobella
The entry followed by the comments offer insight.
Will The Real Slim Shady Please Stand Up. |Lipsticks & Lightsabers
Damning!!!

Latest posts