Dried out Paint pot

figgy1982

Stop paint pots drying out?

Hi all
I recently bought constructivist paint pot, got it home (2 hours away) and opened it to find it was dried out. I called MAC and they replaced it saying it must have been an old batch. They were really nice about it and sent me a tinted lip conditioner and sample of prep & prime which they didn't have to do (and a heap of MAC brochures that are actually really helpful).
When I received the new constructivist, It was better than the first, but still a little on the dry side, but I've seen elsewhere people saying that theirs was drier than other paint pots, so perhaps it's normal.
Anyway, to try to keep it going longer, I have put cling/ceran/glad wrap (depending what country you are from!) over the jar and gently pushed it down with a brush so it's sticking to the top layer of the paint so no air can get to it. Then have put the lid back on tight and cut the wrap around the edges to neaten it up. When you peel it back a tiny bit sticks to the wrap, but you can always wipe it off with a brush and use it. Plus I figure if I was to waste that tiny amount, it would still be less than a whole dried out jar.

Has anyone ever tried this, and did it work? I just did it because I remember my mum doing it with house paint before and it worked wonders, stopped the paint from getting that thick dried out layer on it.
Perhaps it might help people. (if it works that is!)

InspiredBlue

Re: Stop paint pots drying out?

I think there was a thread about the problem with drying paint pots and fluidlines recently and one of the most popular tips was to store the jar upside down. I have no idea why that works, but I keep my Blacktrack standing on it's lid now.
smiles.gif

kittykit

I don't have any paint pots but I store my Fluidlines upside down. When I stored them with the lid up, I noticed it dried out a bit on the top. Putting them upside down definitely works

marquise

I store them upside down too. I haven't had my paintpots for very long but I've had one of my fluidlines for well over a year and it still hasn't dried out.

noahlowryfan

I store my paint pot upside down also. I'm not sure how long I had it but it hasn't dried up yet.

FiestyFemme

Constructivist is just a drier Paint Pot anyway, IMO. I also store all my Paint Pots and Fluidlines upside down. I'm not sure if it works, but I figure it's worth a shot just in case it does. I've had some of my Paint Pots and most of my Fluidlines for years, and they're not dried out at all.

Skin*Deep

I've never had a fluidline or paint pot dry out on me, except I purchased one that was already dry - but the lid was cracked! i store them upside down only so I can read/see the colors. I cant imagine fighting with cling wrap every morning! my best advice: be sure you close them tightly but don't over tighten, or the lid could crack, or pop off that first thread of the jar. Air is the enemy here!

LMD84

honestly i just store mine upsdie down and they are fine. the first one i bought was 2007 and that is still the same as the day i first bought it.

obscuria

I wrote this somewhere before, but anyway...

Storing upside down is a trick that people use...I believe originating from when people home-jar their own jams and jellies.

It pushes and keeps the air out. Also I'm pretty sure storing upside down helps keep all the moisture in the product from settling at the bottom of the container.

Another trick that I don't use but have heard of is to put vaseline around the grooves of the twist off cap and jar to make it air-tight.

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuria
I wrote this somewhere before, but anyway...

Storing upside down is a trick that people use...I believe originating from when people home-jar their own jams and jellies.

It pushes and keeps the air out. Also I'm pretty sure storing upside down helps keep all the moisture in the product from settling at the bottom of the container.

Another trick that I don't use but have heard of is to put vaseline around the grooves of the twist off cap and jar to make it air-tight.

The jam parallel isn't really relevant since the reason for turning them upside down is for the jam to flow down and therefore not have an air pocket near the lid like there would be if it was right side up. Since FLs and PPs don't flow into the lid when you turn them upside down, there's still the same air pocket.

But upside down does seem to be the way to go none the less.
smiles.gif

onecactus

I had "painterly" dried on me despite of doing everything to prevent it from drying. It dried up on me in less than 2 weeks! I ended up returning it and exchanged it for "bare study". i've had it for a month now and it's still creamy! I do the following:

- never leave it out where there is direct heat/sunlight
- squeeze/close cap tightly after each use, and UPSIDE DOWN
- if I find that it takes longer for me to apply my makeup and I have the paintpot out in the open, I leave it upside down on a flat sheet of clean kleenex to keep the moisture in

thmbup.gif

silverbelle282

I just had to add that I was about to put my old and new paint pots in the B2M pile yesterday while cleaning. But, I found a tutorial online which is so simple. Essentially you take a sanitized spatula, or something else small enough to stir with, break apart the paint pot, and stir it together. All of mine which I thought were dried out beyond repair ended up becoming creamy and workable again, without my adding ingredients or exposing it to heat. I tried not to whip too much air into the product while doing it, I just kind of stirred. I also scraped a decent layer off the top of each one prior to starting. I will definitely have to store them upside down to prevent this in the future. REVIVE Dried Up Paint Pots: Tutorial and Explanat…: http://youtu.be/PtGwm6fhAeI I once microwaved my Indianwood PP, but that was a mistake because it changed the texture and stirring didn't help it. That one is getting recycled.

Latest posts