Dried out Paint pot

pinkieyardbird

I'm having the same problem with mine that is less than one month old. If I lived near a MAC I'd take it back
thmbdn.gif

PollyRhythm

I'm not sure what to do about them, now that they are dried up but just remember it's best to store them in a cool, dry place, upside down making sure that the cap is screwed tight. I've had a couple of my paint pots for over two years now and they're still creamy and not even pulling from the sides and they've been stored in the basement the whole entire time (that's where all of my makeup is).

hello_kitty

I've heard of people putting drops of vitamin E oil in fluidline to rehydrate it, so maybe the same could be done to a paint pot? Not sure...

I keep mine upside down and with the top on tightly, and they're going strong even after a few years.

gildedangel

You could put Fix + or Visine in it, but the texture is never quite the same. Be sure to shut paint pots tight, they do dry out very easily. If you keep them shut tight, they last a really long time.

jackieheartsyou

My stila smudge pot dried out after I left it unscrewed for two days. I put it in a dark drawer upside down and it seems to have bounced back. You could probably try that or if you're willing to experiment here's a link to a visine method
yes.gif
Hope this helps!

friedargh

I've had a fluidline start to become dry (but not completely) before and I just mixed in a tiny drop of Glycerine which did the trick. The texture is slightly more smooth though than it originally was I think.

LMD84

a few sprays of fix+ to soak in would be good. although it won't go back to how it originally was. store them upside down and make sure that the lid is fully closed and you should be set
smiles.gif

obscuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleomorphic
I'm totally ignorant...why store them upside down?

Storing items upside down forces air out of the container, creating somewhat of a seal against air coming in.

Also, I think the gravity helps keep all the moisture in the subtance from settling at the bottom of the container, causing drying out at the top.

Darkness

Yes storing upside down usually does the trick. Try using a hairdryer on it for a couple of minutes, as warming it up might bring it back to life.

pleomorphic

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscuria
Storing items upside down forces air out of the container, creating somewhat of a seal against air coming in.

Also, I think the gravity helps keep all the moisture in the subtance from settling at the bottom of the container, causing drying out at the top.

Interesting! I have several gel eyeliners, and have always stored them upside down so I can see the color more easily in my drawer. But I had no idea about the longevity aspect of it. Thanks!

emmemma

Wow.. thanks guys for some much needed information! I just found my painterly paint pot dried out and I've only had it for a few months.. wish I saw this thread earlier... thanks guys!

erine1881

please don't add any liquid whatsoever, whether it fix+, water, visine, etc. its gonna promote bacteria growth and can cause an eye infection.
thmbdn.gif

colormust

i take out some dried FL and mix a drop of eye drops on a porcelain plate...works everytime...

erine1881 ..... very important ... once you wet the brush do not use it again in the pot

lkimmy

Wow, I wish I would of read this thread before B2Ming my dried up paint pots. My SA basically said once they're dried up, there's no use :/

But now for future reference...I will know!
greengrin.gif

Latest posts