Sookie Stackhouse Novels

tarnii

I watched the show first, which led me to find the books. I would say that the TV show is based fairly loosely on the books.

There is definitely more detail into the characters in the books which I really love.

The show particularly in season 2 can get a little lost when it goes off the plot line of books but then you do get to actually see Eric so that does help distract from some odd story lines.

Over all, I love both.

Not sure if that helps you at all but thats my 2 cents.

abbyquack

Yes, that helps a lot, thanks so much!!! I want it to be a little different otherwise what would be the point to read them if I already knew the entire story?
winkiss.gif
I really enjoyed season 2, maybe I won't appreciate it so much after I read the books,
lol.gif
But it freaked me out, I honestly thought I saw people with big black bug eyes in real life, hahaha.

edit: Oh and yes, Eric is yummyyyyy!
drools.gif
I originally thought Bill was a cutie, but compared to Eric he is kinda gross, lol.

Shadowy Lady

Abby - I also watched the show first and then read the books (well, I still have 2 books left). Like tarnii said the show is loosely based on the books but it's def not a carbon copy. I think season 1 was a lot like book1 but season 2 not so much like book 2.

I still prefer the show though, I reviewed show vs books a few pages back
smiles.gif

abbyquack

Thank you love!
heart.gif
I am gonna get the first couple books and see how I like them and take it from there
smiles.gif

abbyquack

Ok ladies! I just picked up the first 2 books- I have a long ride to Michigan over the next couple days, so I'm sure I'll get through quite a bit of them
smiles.gif

sailordom

I adore the Sookie books! Like others, Dead to the World is probably my favorite.
th_worship.gif

I haven't been able to get through True Blood, though, which was disappointing. I bought the first season on iTunes, but I just can't get into it.

TB Tara is just so bloody annoying, I want to turn the show off every time she comes on screen. (Plus, I think giving Sookie a BFF really detracted from her character. I think her isolation and loneliness is a central part of the character and I would have liked to have seen a version of that on screen.)

Part of my problem is also that I got spoilers from a friend who also loves the books and watched the show until getting thoroughly irritated by it in the second season. So I have her bias, too.
lol.gif
But the show really seems to set up Sookie/Bill as the One, True, Everlasting Love... and I'm pretty over Bill.

Maybe I'll give it another go sometime later. The hardest part it, this isn't a show that's safe to watch in public, and I watch a lot of TV episodes on my phone at the gym.
lol.gif

Other series I've loved: Black Dagger Brotherhood, Dark-Hunters and Immortals After Dark. Oh, and the Fever series. That one is great, too.

tara_hearts

May 4th.
Dead in the family.
omgomgomg
If I camp out in front of books a million will I be arrested for loitering?
lol.gif

But seriously. If I can't find this book the day it comes out I am liable to scream.

Who else is stoked for this book? The first chapter seemed "eh" to me, but I am so hooked on this series I am dying to read it. I get the feeling charlaine harris is going to use this book to kinda pull eric and sookie apart.. which bums me out because I really like them together.

So I bought season 1 on dvd and it has me stoked for the book. I was going to buy season 2 even though I didnt like it as much but its not out yet..wtf.. season 3 is about to premiere and they dont have season 2 out to hype it? ... oh well... Less then a week till dead in the family
smiles.gif
smiles.gif

sinergy

i had no idea they were posting those! i need to watch them all. i cant wait for the new season to start and the new book!! just got my new black dagger brotherhood book yesterday so its tiding me over...for now......

DOLLface

So excited for the new book and the new season of True Blood! I really want to just go to a book store, grab the new book, sit down, and read it in the store (and actually it'd be quite easy to do because I'm a super speedy reader).

I finally went back and read the entire series over again and I'm making my mom do the same thing. I didn't think I'd care for A Touch of Dead all that much due to things I've read about it, but I actually liked it. I think if you take it for what it is - just little stories to help fill in a few holes - you'll like them.

I need more Eric and Sookie!

Sadly, that's the only minisode out right now. There are four production clips that have been released for the upcoming season; I'd be happy to link them if anyone is interested. They're only about thirty seconds long, but it's something.

Makeup Emporium

Well the newest book is out and I just picked it up today!! Can't wait to read it. The only trouble is I hate how far behind the series is to the books and I need them to catch up...NOW!! At least the new season starts back up on June 15th.

kenoki

I bought the collection several months ago, but haven't made it beyond the first book (though I have tried). I think I'm at a disadvantage for having watched the television show first. The differences make me feel like I have to choose one over the other -- who will win!? Taken to the bare bones of what makes each good to me: It comes down to the power of Skaarsgard's ridiculous hotness and the fun of a trashy novel. I think ridiculous hotness wins. But I think I'll crack open book two tonight... It may get better for me once I get beyond where True Blood is now. Aside from all that. Anyone else feel like she goes overboard with descriptions?

banana1234

the books are soooooooo much better, and you will come to love eric as a character more towards the latter books! i wont spoil it, but there is more and more eric as the books progress!

banana1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeup Emporium
Well the newest book is out and I just picked it up today!! Can't wait to read it. The only trouble is I hate how far behind the series is to the books and I need them to catch up...NOW!! At least the new season starts back up on June 15th.

you have the new book already?!?! its not out here til june 10th, it was meant to be may 26th but it got put back, i'm so impatient! don't tell me what happens!

kenoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana1234
the books are soooooooo much better, and you will come to love eric as a character more towards the latter books! i wont spoil it, but there is more and more eric as the books progress!

More Eric? You've convinced me!

Makeup Emporium

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana1234
you have the new book already?!?! its not out here til june 10th, it was meant to be may 26th but it got put back, i'm so impatient! don't tell me what happens!

Don't worry I won't spoil it! Right now I am reading the Vampire Diaries series so I haven't started this one yet.

blondie711

i know tv eric is hot, but book eric is so much hotter, imo. as the books go on he justs gets better. bill is such a whiner!

DOLLface

If you have HBO, check out the On Demand channel because they currently have most of season one, all of season two, and the minisodes available to watch.

Latest posts