Plus sized clothing in US

Hi ladies

I'm from Australia and will be travelling to the US later this year (briefly LA [probably no time for shopping], San Fran, Seattle, Chicago and most of the time will be NYC)

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend good, plus sized (I'm guessing US18-20) shops (with an actual store, not just online), with affordable clothes to suit a mid-20something??

Thanks!!

Goat Goat Etc.

I second Torrid-they're younger than Lane Bryant.
Avenue for their Denim Lite Jeans.
Edit:12/25/12- And finally Forever 21, these bastards, got a clue and made a line called Faith 21 for size 16-24 Forever Plus 1X-3X in Junior.

Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Goat Etc.
I second Torrid-they're younger than Lane Bryant.
Avenue for their Denim Lite Jeans.
And fucking finally-Forever 21 (these bastards) got a clue and made a line called Faith 21 for size 16-24.

Whhhhhhat? I checked them out the DAY they went online with the new line and the sizes were NOT that high! It was like, jr plus - highest size was 15!

Edit: Ok, just checked size 3X 17/18 but the waist measurements for the most part are around 40" which is about a 2X equivalent for regular women's plus sizes.

lololol! And I totally just noticed that the winner from America's Next Top Model Cycle 10 - Whitney, who is plus sized, models for the site!!!!

iaisha26

Coming from a very fasionable plus size girl, here's the low down...

I prefer shopping at department stores such as Niemans, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales etc. ---they have fashionable finds from some of the top designers such as Michael Kors & Ralph Lauren & the higer-end store will like Saks & Nordstrom will tailor the clothes to custom fit you. Here are some more stores, I don't shop at all of these stores.

Torrid (fun/hip/youthful---more for teen and young adults, but if you're seasoned you may be able to find some pieces)

Lane Bryant (clothes for all--young & seasoned)

Ashley Stewart--got to be careful, has a cheesy rep, but you can find some pieces for young and seasoned shopper.

Avenue--clothes for a seasoned shopper

Target---has an awesome plus size section.

Forever 21 & Deb Shop are for teen & young adults; something are a little cheesy, but you can find good pieces. I shop at these two cheesy stores; there's a much bigger selection in the store than on-line.

Online---Alloy, B&Lu, Igigi, Oldnavy etc.

LMD84

i am finding this post very useful for when i go clothes shopping in the us in may this year. i have been to torrid before and got some pretty tops and dresses but i agree that alot of it is aimed for younger people. also lane bryant had some nice swim wear and jackets. oh and i bought an awesome pair of sandels for $10 there too which lasted me an entire summer or use!

Goat Goat Etc.

Dressbarn! Somethings are just plain old but they're finally getting fashion forward! There's really nice stuff in there now!

Goat Goat Etc.

Afterthoughts from a fashionable, plus size, fashion merch major, lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaisha26
Ashley Stewart--got to be careful, has a cheesy rep, but you can find some pieces for young and seasoned shopper.

Saw some cheese, so much cheese it was a 3 cheese blend.
th_LMAO.gif

I like Torrid, easy work clothes, date night, and girls night out stuff--as for the "cheese" and teen stuff --they're owned by Hot Topic but makeup for it by buying merch from a variety of vendors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaisha26
Target---has an awesome plus size section.

You must have a bizarro target and forever 21; there's nothing good in mine. And they're new too.

Alloy--shopped there before and if you weed through the teen acne ads and tees there's good stuff by them and other vendors. Haha

B & Lu and Igigi are new to me but they look really cool.

paperfishies

My only complaint about Torrid is the quality. Everything I've ever ordered from there seems to be of very poor quality.

SuSana

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperfishies
My only complaint about Torrid is the quality. Everything I've ever ordered from there seems to be of very poor quality.

Exactly! Don't get clothes from there if you want them to last you a while. I paid $40 for a sweater from there and I've only worn it 4x max and it's already falling apart. I have clothes from Lane Bryant & Nordstrom from over 5 years ago that are still in perfect condition.

DILLIGAF

The best plus size jeans Ive ever gotten are from Torrid. I've not purchased much else from them. Target has stepped up their plus size game. They have a more youthful line they are trying out more on par with the rest of their clothing. Also some of their "normal size" clothing can be purchased in XXL. The Macy's women's dept is always a great place to end up. Forever 21's plus line Faith 21 is pretty decent but like all clothing from that place you really need to take a good look at what you are buying. How long are you really expecting a $12 shirt to last? Also I happened to score some really decent skinny jeans there for $20. And how can anyone forget Old Navy they carry up to a size 20 in stores and even higher online. Oh if you are going to be in NYC and are able to spend a lot ( and I mean a lot) then check out Monif C's boutique. Currently she is having a sale and things are over 30% off. If I remember anything else I will add a 2nd post.

BEA2LS

to me, torrid is overpriced.. if you are willing to spend that, you might be better off in a department store. i never find anything at target, ever.
i have had good luck at old navy, some cute stuff but you got to pick through a bit.. same with kohls (but than again i worked at both places in the past so know how to pick through)
lane bryant screams old to me anymore..

paperfishies

The only thing I like from Target is their Mossimo jeans. I have big hips, huge butt and a smaller waist. The plus size Mossimo jeans fit amazingly (plus they come in petite, average and tall)

Lane Bryant's spring selection is actually looking pretty good this year but I'll be damned when they get cute clothes I'm 30 weeks pregnant! lol. This is the first time in over a year Lane Bryant has has cute clothes.

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
i am finding this post very useful for when i go clothes shopping in the us in may this year. i have been to torrid before and got some pretty tops and dresses but i agree that alot of it is aimed for younger people. also lane bryant had some nice swim wear and jackets. oh and i bought an awesome pair of sandels for $10 there too which lasted me an entire summer or use!

wth Lou how old are u? U making it sound like ur an old ladie
smiles.gif

I can't remember the last time I wore a swim suit
ssad.gif

Edit: Ok, I have to admit, Conway has some nice +size clothing, yes CONWAY!!!
smiles.gif

Especially the one in the Bronx, NYC, and in Manhattan, NYC
Look at this jacket I bought from there for $20!! I don't like the fit too much, but whatever
1pjm91.jpg

DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
wth Lou how old are u? U making it sound like ur an old ladie
smiles.gif

I can't remember the last time I wore a swim suit
ssad.gif

Edit: Ok, I have to admit, Conway has some nice +size clothing, yes CONWAY!!!
smiles.gif

Especially the one in the Bronx, NYC, and in Manhattan, NYC
Look at this jacket I bought from there for $20!! I don't like the fit too much, but whatever
1pjm91.jpg

I've totally forgotten about Conway. When I was younger if we shopped there we would try to hide that bright pink bag. lol

chynegal

i work for old navy and we have some cute stuff you just gotta look...some of our shit tho even tho it might be a XXL it wont fit if u got boobbie its like they taylored that part to fit a woman with a AA cup...

chynegal

macys has some nice things but i find there plus sizes to be a little to grandma-ish.... i know baby phat has a plus line but to me they look cheesy

Latest posts