Is mineral oil really bad for your skin?

Jinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredshards
Plastics are a load of awesome in themselves, since it's already been discovered that they can leech chemicals into the water, juice, food you keep in them.

Plastics are leaking additives such as phthalates and other softeners. Not components from the crude oil.

Quote:
But, in response to your references:
1. What may not bother one person can bother another in the case of something being comedogenic. It really depends on the person. We know this.

Of course. This is true for every chemical in the world. We are trying to determine if it's likely. This is what the experiment shows. That it's not likely to be comedogenic. This is how the comedoginic effects of every ingredient is tested.

Quote:
2. It protected the skin from another chemical. Yes, because it's essentially wrapping yourself in plastic wrap. That still doesn't mean it's good for your skin in itself.

It protects the skin and prevents evaporation. That is one of the primary functions of a moisturizer. No one claimed it was anti aging or exfoliating or brightning.

Quote:
3. They explain it's not bad for you, even though people are paranoid, but they avoid the fact that it's actually good for your skin completely. "It's been used safely for a long time" doesn't even come close.

So that is the first and the last sentence. What about the actual toxicological data in between?

Quote:
4. I think the only reason why this is true is because the petroleum base in such products traps the active ingredients in the wound - they have no choice but to absorb into the skin. The study was done with "petroleum ointments," not plain, unaltered petroleum jelly. Personally, I can't use Aquaphor, Neosporin, etc because it will cause my wound to take longer to heal and scar pretty badly.

Again, this is its function. It keeps chemicals and moisture from evaporating thereby allowing them to function.

You aren't really giving any data here. You are sharing a personal experience which is fine. Allergies can happen with pretty much any chemical, and obviously one should not use a product one is allergic to. However, you cannot extrapolate and say that everyone should be avoiding something when the data suggests that it is safe for the large majority. That is like someone allergic to tomatoes claiming that tomatoes are toxic.

I'm not sure what kind of data you are expecting? This is standard documentation for effect/efficacy and toxicity.

SakurasamaLover

Quote:
Don't take mineral oil longer than a week. It blocks absorption of certain nutrients, including vitamins A, D, E, and K. It can also build up in the tissues and cause problems.

By take they mean eating it, not putting it on your skin.

I think you got a little bit freaked out by people who read scientific research but don't have the proper knowledge to actually understand what it really mean concretely. Then they write website and false knowledge spread. You should try to find good resources and read on carcinogene, you'd probably be surprised what are and what are not and the true effect they have. example? milk does contain some.. so don't panic.

The fact that your body cannot process it btw can be a good thing, like in a moisturizer.

shatteredshards

I feel like I'm arguing against religion with a bunch of people who are devout, rather than arguing against petrochemicals.

Just because the petroleum helps something else work doesn't mean the petroleum is good for you in itself. This thread wasn't about if petroleum helps other things do their job, it was asking if mineral oil was good for your skin. I still have yet to see anything showing that.

I thought the primary function of a moisturizer was supposed to be to add moisture to your skin, not cover it with a film and keep it from being able to breathe.

And, for the record, I am completely clueless as to how you came to the assumption that I "freaked out," Sakurasama. I'm not cussing, I'm not "screaming in all caps," and I'm certainly not calling everyone a bunch of poopyheads...is your definition of freaking out me sitting here and continuing to argue my viewpoint in the same manner I have been?

Kragey

To make my point clear, I was asking if it really WAS bad, not if it was necessarily "good." What I really wanted was proof to one side of the argument or another.

Jinni

Quote:
I feel like I'm arguing against religion with a bunch of people who are devout, rather than arguing against petrochemicals.

Well, so far we have quoted scientific studies. That is uncommen with religions. If you are saying that science is a religion then I suppose so. I don't believe in any organized religion except for science.

I have a masters degree in chemical engineering specializing in petrochemical catalysis and polymers and one in physical chemistry specializing in reaction kinetics. I did not go to university to study gods or supernatural beings. I base my opinions on experimental documentation (or in some cases simulation).

In my current job I work with legislation in the medical device area, and I really don't see the irresponsible picture of government agencies (including the FDA) that you are painting. I really do wonder what it is based on. In general they are very smart people who try their best to protect the public while still allowing scientific progress.

Quote:
Just because the petroleum helps something else work doesn't mean the petroleum is good for you in itself. This thread wasn't about if petroleum helps other things do their job, it was asking if mineral oil was good for your skin. I still have yet to see anything showing that.

Addressed here already: Klingman, A. Regression method for assessing the efficacy of moisturizers. Cosm Toiletr 93:27, 1978

Quote:
I thought the primary function of a moisturizer was supposed to be to add moisture to your skin, not cover it with a film and keep it from being able to breathe.

Addressed here already: Dry skin and moisturizers: chemistry ... - Google Books

Skin gets oxygen from the blood. It does not need to breathe.

shatteredshards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinni
Well, so far we have quoted scientific studies. That is uncommen with religions. If you are saying that science is a religion then I suppose so. I don't believe in any organized religion except for science.

Actually, I was saying it in reference to the attitude of "until you can provide some proof, I don't give a flying piece of cheese what you have to say, because my opinion is right and I know it" that I was perceiving. But again, that was just my perception.

*sigh* I'm dropping it. Everyone can believe what they want, but personally, my skin and lips have done so much better without petroleum, even long before I became allergic to it, and it does so with less lotion and lip balm application than I needed before, too. I will continue to avoid petroleum like the black plague and I will continue to feel that the FDA consciously does some pretty messed up things (I won't even get started on the rest of the US government), and that's me.

Jinni

Quote:
Actually, I was saying it in reference to the attitude of "until you can provide some proof, I don't give a flying piece of cheese what you have to say

That's science for you
smiles.gif
Besides, believing without proof - isn't that pretty much the definition of religion?

I do not mean to insult anyone, but I feel demanding proof is the responsible thing to do.

Let me give an example. As I mentioned earlier; I work for a medical device company. I manage the department that deals with product changes. We are currently working on phasing out phthalates. Our R&D finds another material without phthalates that they believe will be a good substitute. It is then my responsibility to make sure this new material is safe. Yes, we want to get rid of the phthalates, but the last thing we want is to replace them with another problematic material.

The first thing I ask for is toxicological studies on this new material. The supplier will ALWAYS tell me that of course the material is safe, but if no toxicological studies are available; I will not allow the use of the material. These studies must be done before I will even consider implementing it. It's my responsibility that these products are safe, and I take that responsibility very seriously.

I hope that gives some perspective on my reasoning and experience with these issues.

Lalai

I think mineral oil can be helpful if you have really really dry patches in your skin. I can use body lotions with mineral oil without problems as long as it's not really high up in the ingredients list - if it's on the first half of the list, I usually start getting zits.

As for my face, I don't use any products with mineral oil. I don't think it's coincidence, that zits would accumulate on areas where I had been using a product that contained mineral oil. I have dry skin but still get zits and I think that people who are prone to getting zits might be better off without it. I have a similar problem with silicones and try my best to use products without them. Silicones are much more difficult to avoid than mineral oil, though.

My view is that the cosmetics industry, as any industry that tries to make money, will do its best to use as cheap ingredients as possible and charging as much as possible. The INCI list naturally doesn't reveal everything about the product, but in many products the ingredients are mostly the same and just with different price tags. A smooth veil of silicone will be just as good with 5 bucks as with 40.

I don't think there's any point in slandering a particular ingredient or getting hysterical, but people with problem skin will benefit from knowing about the potential effects an ingredient may have on their skin.

JENJ5001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mern
First of all it damages the skin. It is a humectant oil, made from petroleum. Crude oil goes through a refinement process and one of the products that comes from that is mineral oil. Because it is a humectant oil it seals the skin and does not allow nutrients to penetrate or toxins to come out of the pores. It is too large to penetrate the skin. However it does draw moisture to itself and will dehydrate the skin with continued use. That's why people are addicted to chapstick. It is 42% petrolatum, another by-product of crude oil and a humectant.

Really good to know!!!

well, pond's cold cream is chock full of it and people have been swearing by that for years! after I use up my wash I have now I am thinking about getting some.

hundove

So, Vaseline is not good for skin? I thought it was the best thing for moisturizing your skin. I thought it locks in much needed moisture. No?
I used it dometimes on my dry, thirsty hands and legs. Should i stop using it, in this case?

SakurasamaLover

Yeah you are the kind of person who believe instead of trying to find facts and truth it seems certainly. You got tons of good references and articles about a specific subject (who is the subject of that post) but you have no interest in learning with knowledgeable people about it, you still prefer people who quote stuff who don't even understand chemistry at all.
You probably think natural is the best, well small news for you mercury/lead/uranium/etc are 100% natural.

@hundove
No don't worry it works really well, it's just that some people read blogs with wrong assumption and get carried away. It works really well to keep the moisture in and most of your moisture comes from your skin not outside it. But not everyone understand that.

bumblebees24

Mineral oil are used in a lot of skincare products to help aid dry skin. I believe it's subjective in terms of how they work on each person's skin. I personally swear by La Mer and it's full of mineral oil. Some skin have no issues with mineral oil clogging their pores while others do. Mineral oil really helps keep the moisture from escaping from your skin, acting as a humectant. With any chemical/product, use with moderation is key. Too much of anything will not allow the skin to breathe and cause clogging. Hope this helps.

miss rochelle

Quote:
(Neosporin, believe it or not, is glorified Vaseline, nothing more)

The ACTIVE ingredients are actually comprised of 3 antibiotics:

- Polymixin B (5,000 units)
- Bacitracin (400 units)
- Neomycin (3.5 mg)

The inactive ingredients are: Cocoa Butter, Cottonseed Oil, Olive Oil, Sodium Pyruvate, Tocopheryl Acetate, White Petrolatum

Notice how the white petrolatum is last.

Source: Buy Neosporin First Aid Antibiotic Ointment Online at drugstore.com

shatteredshards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakurasamaLover
Yeah you are the kind of person who believe instead of trying to find facts and truth it seems certainly. You got tons of good references and articles about a specific subject (who is the subject of that post) but you have no interest in learning with knowledgeable people about it, you still prefer people who quote stuff who don't even understand chemistry at all.
You probably think natural is the best, well small news for you mercury/lead/uranium/etc are 100% natural.

Not everyone agrees on everything. But I think I have to draw the line at you making assumptions about me as a person based on how this discussion went, because, well, I hate to sound so cliche, but you don't know me, and you certainly don't know who I am.

Mixxi

I think mineral oil is bad for your skin. I don't care if you want to believe me but I know I won't go anywhere near the stuff (nor silicones).

Mineral oil is used in 98% of cosmetics because it is a waste product so is easier and cheaper to put into cosmetics than to actually dispose of it. It cannot penetrate the deeper layers of the dermis like carrier oils such as plant oils and butters (e.g. cocoa butter, almond oil) so it sits on the surface of the skin. This means that any moisturising ingredients cannot penetrate the skin and it also creates an imbalance with the natural sebum the skin produces either causing it to overproduce which causes excess sebum (blackheads, clogged pores, oily skin) or inhibits the production of sebum (dry skin, cracked skin, flakey skin). When it inhibits the production of skin so you get dry skin this then makes the person feel like they need to keep applying mineral oil to temporarily allievate this condition yet they are actually creating it.

It also inhibits the skins removal of toxins which causes signs of aging. It also promotes sun damage within skin as it sits on the skins surface, heats up (think of a cooking oil) and burns the skin. Even in creams with SPF even though you won't get sun burnt have you ever had heat rash? The heat rash is caused by the mineral oil on the skin.

Even if you don't believe any of this.. it's a cheap filler in cosmetics. I'd rather use plant butters, nut oils and essential oils which help to heal, remove toxins and penetrate the deeper levels of skin to promote healthy skin growth and restoration.

But that's just me.
th_dunno.gif

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundove
So, Vaseline is not good for skin? I thought it was the best thing for moisturizing your skin. I thought it locks in much needed moisture. No?
I used it dometimes on my dry, thirsty hands and legs. Should i stop using it, in this case?

I'm not a dermatologist, but I know many doctors recommend that people with aged skin use Vaseline. The thing is that Vaseline does NOT moisturize, it HOLDS IN moisture. So if your skin is moist when you apply it, no prob, but if your skin is dry when you apply it, you ain't gettin' no where. I use a thin layer on my lips from time to time, right after exfoliating my lips with a toothbrush, and it holds the moisture it--I really never have to wear lip balm anymore.
smiles.gif

And if you're walking around with a bunch of oil sitting on your face, you deserve to get burnt. :p

And for the record, yes, I asked my dermatologist, and that's what he told me: some people are allergic, but generally speaking it's fine as long as you don't expect it to do something it can't do. I'm sure there are other opinions out there, but that's just what I got from my dermatologist.

Latest posts