• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Depotting MAC's new quad style

obscuria

With MAC's spring color forecast came the new eye shadow quad styles. The first thing that popped up in my head was "how am I going to depot this?!". This is mostly a written tutorial, but I hope it is helpful.

I’m a little obsessive with depotting my eye shadows, if they aren’t in the 15-palette form I don’t reach for them at all. They become forgotten into obscurity somewhere in the back of my vanity. I used to be a pro at depotting eye shadow quads, but since MAC’s new quad style, I have been wary of attempting to do so.

It’s true, MAC’s new quad style isn’t exactly depotting friendly. It's a little time consuming and your quad most likely won't really be that useable or brand spankin' new looking after, so it's not for everyone.
You have to have a lot of motivation(or in my case obsessive compulsion) to want to depot these shadows, but fear not! It can be done.

I would have taken more pictures of the step by step, however I was experimenting with ways to depot this quad and didn’t really know what I was doing until it was done, so it’s more of the aftermath of my insanity. I hope this helps my fellow depot(ters?).

Things you will need:
Wax paper or a towel
A paring knife
A lighter (starter? Not sure what this is called exactly)

depot001.jpg
[
( I used to be able to use a flat iron to depot, I find that this is not the case with this quad because the eye shadows are raised with more plastic)

I used the color 3 quad from the Spring Color Forecast Collection

Turn the quad over and gently stick the paring knife between the indentations on the sides. Wiggle it around and once you get under the plastic wiggle the knife up. You will hear a cracking/snapping sound, this is normal. Do this to all sides of the quad. (I actually only did this to three of the sides and then used my hands to pull it all off once I could get a good handle on it)

You will remove the plastic backing and it will reveal the plastic insert that holds the eye shadows.

depot002.jpg

depot003.jpg

Flip the quad back over and lift open the lid. You can hold the quad by the clear part of the lid. I recommend this so when you have to get the lighter involve you don't burn yourself on the plastic.
depot006.jpg

Then take your lighter and place it under the plastic that holds one of the eye shadows. Do this one at a time. Make sure the plastic and your flame do not touch as it can catch on fire. I held the flame there for about 10 seconds, until I could see slight bubbling.

The rest is like depotting a single e/s. The heat will release the glue holding the eye shadow to the plastic insert. Flip the quad upside down again, and close to a flat surface. I used my desk and a piece of wax paper over a napkin in case the eye shadow fell. Take your paring knife and push through the plastic insert through the middle of the eye shadow, it should come out without much resistance. If it is hard to push it out, put the plastic insert over the flame for more time and try again.

depot005.jpg

And that’s it. Do this for all 4 eye shadows and you are done! From here you can add a magnet/label to the back of your e/s if you so choose and stick it in your 15-palette!

Nicque

Wow great job. I like my shadows in the palettes also, but not sure if I want to mess up my quad. I sometimes like to use them to carry a few on short trips rather than carrying my palettes. But glad to see it can be done.

obscuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicque
Wow great job. I like my shadows in the palettes also, but not sure if I want to mess up my quad. I sometimes like to use them to carry a few on short trips rather than carrying my palettes. But glad to see it can be done.

Yes, this is not a good idea if you plan in reusing the quads. I never use quads so it is not a problem for me.

And thanks
smiles.gif

Junkie

Haha, I had to burn the whole darn thing too! I'm the same though - I don't reuse quads and prefer depotted
smiles.gif

Ange1

Thanks!!! I always depot! Then put the 4 shadows I use that day in my own quad if I need them. :)

hickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetkitty
Nice! Personally I wouldn't depot shadows in pre-made quads but that's just me.

I agree! Sometimes you just need to let sleeping dogs lie... I recently depotted the Urban Decay deluxe palette, and I destroyed a lot of the eyeshadows in the process. It really wasn't worth it worth it. Now the shadows are so fragile that I can't travel anywhere with them! Depotter beware!

GoldenGirl

Thanks for this.. I've found that if I don't depot my quads I will forget about them and not use them since the 15 pan palettes are what I reach for most often. I actually need a new 15 and when I get it I'll use this technique. Thanks!

GoldenGirl

Okay ladies.. if you're gonna do this PLEASE be careful! I just split my thumb open using my paring knife to get the bottom off of the quad! LOL! I guess I REALLY REALLY wanted to depot these things! Just watch your fingers ladies!

obscuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGirl
Okay ladies.. if you're gonna do this PLEASE be careful! I just split my thumb open using my paring knife to get the bottom off of the quad! LOL! I guess I REALLY REALLY wanted to depot these things! Just watch your fingers ladies!

Oh my goodness! I hope you are ok!

These are tricky little SOBs for sure. Not so depotting friendly.

GoldenGirl

Not friendly at all!!! But I know that if I didn't depot them they'd just sit there barely used, I'd forget all about them. I recently depotted the Spiced Chocolate quad that I've had for more than a year and I've used some of the colors in the quad more now that I've got them in my palettes.

The Colour 3 quad is so pretty with the purples.. I didn't want it go to go to waste.. now I've got a bandaged up finger for them, but it's okay. It will heal.

Thanks for the "tutorial" tho.
smiles.gif

RandomnessWithK

i too was curious when i saw the new style quad.. i'm going to think about this one! cause i'm clumsy as it is LOL

but thank you for the tips!

RandomnessWithK

okay after a long debate.. i did it!

thank you for this post - it was extremely easy - even for a clumsy person like myself!
smiles.gif

heart

very cool tutorial. thanks! i'll bookmark this in case i ever feel like depotting any of them. :)

dethystic

Thank you so much for this tutorial! ★
I do the same thing- if my eye shadows aren't in my big palette, I hardly ever use them.

Latest posts