Cheap hollywood-style mirror made with stuff from IKEA

Wow, this looks fantastic! I've been trying to find good mirror ideas for my bathroom and think that this would totally fit the bill! Trying to think what lightbulbs would be best to use for applying make-up. Nothing too strong, or I would probably go blind!

Clever thinking though! xx

dbcarter0023

how did you attach the lamps to the mirror? also how do you turn off and on the lamps. thanks. this is an AWESOME idea and i've been looking for an alternative!

ThePowderPuff

I haven't attached them to eachother. They just attached to the wall right next to each other.

At the other end of each wire I have a normal plug, and I just use the switch on the wall

NatsAnAngel

Hey! So not even realizing it, a few months ago I went to Ikea and bought the Musik lamp. I already have the mirror ready to go, and I wanted to go back and pick up 2 more Musik lamps so the lights go all around the mirror like the Hollywood Vanity, but do you think 3 lights would be TOO bright?

If I do go with 3 lamps, do you think maybe using lower watt bulbs would help? I just dont wan't to go blind when I light up all 3 lamps! Thanks in advance :)

ThePowderPuff

Hey! So not even realizing it, a few months ago I went to Ikea and bought the Musik lamp. I already have the mirror ready to go, and I wanted to go back and pick up 2 more Musik lamps so the lights go all around the mirror like the Hollywood Vanity, but do you think 3 lights would be TOO bright?

If I do go with 3 lamps, do you think maybe using lower watt bulbs would help? I just dont wan't to go blind when I light up all 3 lamps! Thanks in advance :)

Yes definitely. The power of the bulbs make a lot of difference. I have tried a couple

xJustgirlie

I am not sure, I understand what a diagonal wall is? English is not my native tongue, sorry.
Haha it's not mine either! Ehm, you can have like 4 straight walls or you can have like 2 straight walls and 2 walls going from the floor to the ceiling in a point. Mostly in a attic. You know what I mean now?

GabyRJ

Hi there!! I would be very thankful i you could help me now! I bought the same things from Ikea, but I dont know exactly how to put everything together, especially with the wires! So, have you figured it out how to install everything? Can you give me some help? Thank you! Gabriela

Stacia

I was scouring the net for a "Hollywood style" vanity (with lights) for my "Diva in training" who is 13. She is also a commercial actress, so I thought it fitting. $400 is the cheapest mirror like that I could find! Your DIY idea came up in my search. I also read GucciGirl's posts and between the both of you, I assembled mine! One tweek in the idea...instead of splicing extention cords to each lamp, splice a lamp cord with a built in toggle switch to each. Then staple each switch under the lip of the left and the right side of the desk. Now you don't have to fumble each time to plug and unplug when you want to use it!

Stacia

Splice the black and white cord on back of lamps to an extention cord or to a lamp cord with built in switch.

SydneyAnee

I can't thank you enough for posting this! I'm designing my new home and I wasn't necessarily prepared to spend $300 on a mirror! haha Your idea is so creative! :) Love it.. X

Dena Schumaker

I just found this thread and was actually going to do the same thing. You mentioned you had to wire the lights to a standard plug. Did you wire the lights to seperate plugs or to one plug for the both of them? Also, could you provide step by step instructions on how you did it?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
Dena

Latest posts