Freelancing for MAC

giz2000

There is a way that you can freelance for another company other than MAC at the same time....it is by being a "true" freelancer...that is, being paid with a 1099 instead of being on a company payroll. You are technically self-employed, and doing your own gigs. That being said, most companies will not pay you that way, unless you've got some inside connection to them.

You cannot work for Lancome if you are freelancing for MAC, but you can freelance for any other Estee Lauder company (and there are a lot of them)...just go to the counter you want to freelance for and let them know you are available.

KMFH

whats a 1099 specifically? Like, me being self employed, and getting payed cash . . . just not sure?
ps. just began filing as self employed last year, still new to taxes of this nature.

giz2000

Yes...a 1099 means you are an independent contractor working for a company...you are responsible for paying your own taxes, social security, etc...you are not technically getting paid in cash, because a 1099 reports your earnings to the IRS...most people don't report their cash income (for example, whatever you earned doing someone's wedding, etc).

KMFH

ahhhhhhh i c now
winks.gif

annrose

I was wondering if it was possible to freelance for MAC while working full-time/part-time for another EL line (ie. Clinique, Bobbi Brown, etc?) Thanks so much! Sorry if this has already been discussed.

giz2000

You can freelance for any EL line, but you can't be part of a counter and freelance at the same time...hth!

bellamia

Just so I have an understanding. Freelacing for MAC your on call or do you have you hours already set for you and is it just for stores or other events? I'm just wondering becuase I really need a 2nd job and I would love nothing more then to work for MAC but not at the counter I have no sales experience. From a teenager until now I've always worked in offices. I don't have the gift for gab even though MAC practicually sells itself becuase its so high in demand.

farra712

I don't know about everywhere else, but this is what I was told. When you freelance for MAC they basically use you for events. You come in and do makeovers and they have a schedule in advance of what days they will need freelancers. They will offer these days and hours to you and you can accept them or not, but they obviously prefer that you accept them unless you have a serious prior obligation (another job, wedding, etc.) However, they will sometimes call you if someone calls in and more coverage is needed. You can also accept the hours or not. Also, I was told when I applied at MAC that I could not freelance for any other company at the same time. This may be a regional thing, though.

giz2000

Technically you could freelance for, say, Bobbi Brown as a MAC freelancer...I personally don't know any MAC freelancers who do, but I do know of BB freelancers that sometimes freelance for MAC. You just wouldn't have the time.

Depending on your situation, you either get called for events, or you get called to pick up shifts. I get both...I usually turn down shifts during the day (I'm at home with my son), but always take the Friday and Saturday ones...I usually end up working from 5 - 10 hours per week, and that is perfect for me. I also rotate between 5 counters on a regular basis (if I don't get called by one, I usually get called by another). You have to establish a "reputation" and make nice with all the counters you work at so you can get called all the time. HTH some!

allan_willb

Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000
Technically you could freelance for, say, Bobbi Brown as a MAC freelancer...I personally don't know any MAC freelancers who do, but I do know of BB freelancers that sometimes freelance for MAC. You just wouldn't have the time.

Depending on your situation, you either get called for events, or you get called to pick up shifts. I get both...I usually turn down shifts during the day (I'm at home with my son), but always take the Friday and Saturday ones...I usually end up working from 5 - 10 hours per week, and that is perfect for me. I also rotate between 5 counters on a regular basis (if I don't get called by one, I usually get called by another). You have to establish a "reputation" and make nice with all the counters you work at so you can get called all the time. HTH some!

omg 5 counters!I wish we had 5 we only have 1.=(

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_willb
omg 5 counters!I wish we had 5 we only have 1.=(

There are actually more than 10 counters in our area...1 FS and 1 PRO store (I've freelanced there as well, but it's a little out of my way)..you need to move down here...
rofl.gif

Miss Pumpkin

I always wonder if this freelancing positions are only available in the US... Because here in Spain we don't have events (as far as I know) so I don't think I can apply as a freelancer.... :/

Cingels

Freelance annoyance at MAC

Hi!
I was hired by MAC about 3 months ago as a freelance MUA. I did the whole interview thing,makeover thing,etc.

SO I went and filled out my paperwork. Waited about 4 weeks for "corporate to process it" then it came back stating I needed to update my SS card( mine still had my maiden name on it) and re process my info. Ok fine. I went and got my new SSC and resubmitted my info to the counter who hired me. That was over 6 weeks ago.

I called today to talk to the counter manager to see if they had heard anything( I waited a bit to call,since they have been notoriously slow thru this whole thing) about my paperwork. The manager who hired me said" no as far as I know they are still " processing your paperwork",but I will give them a call. But we probably wont have any events until fall." FALL??!?!?!
What the??? What about Lure,Bait and Hooked? What about She Shines? I wanted to tell him" I KNOW NEW STUFF IS COMING OUT THIS SUMMER!" ;-P I mean,what now? I want to work there,but I also want to get experience applying MU to strangers,and I am doing a few weddings here and there,but I want more experience,like at the MAC counter. But it doesnt look like Ill be getting that anytime soon.
Im frustrated. I really was excited about this opportunity w MAC,and they seemed excited too. And he did assure me he'd call me when they needed me..but still,Im trying to move ahead in the MU field,and this certainly didnt help.
I wonder,am I able to freelance for any other counters?
Any advice?
Grrr.

farra712

That sucks, and what sucks more is that this seems to be a problem with MAC corporate. They seem to really be slow with processing employees. Before I got hired at my counter, a girl I went to school with got hired and had the same problem with her SSC having her maiden name on it. She waited 2 months before she could start working. Also, I started, but when I tried to call in my hours to get my paycheck, we found out that I wasn't in the system yet, so I may not get paid for a few more weeks. I know it is frustrating. I wish I had better advice for you, but hang in there because you never know when they will need you. I have been working more at my counter as on-call than for events and I was hired as freelance but they have some extra hours lately. I know it sucks, but when I finally get paid it will be worth it. And when you do get to work you will like it so much! I promise! I hope everything works out for you and I wish I could be of more help!

M.A.C*Attack

That's retarded I have been married 10years and I never changed nor do I plan to change or use my married last name so whats the big deal it was still ur last name damn !...lol

koolmnbv

I was thinking that same thing.....your allowed to keep your maiden name no1 can make you change your name or your ss card...Ive been married 1 1/2 years and my SS card and my DL and everything else still is my maiden name...and it has not caused any drama b4

mac_goddess

This is good to know. Because my ssn is still in my maiden name.

Maybe she goes by her married name but her ssn is still in her maiden name?

Latest posts