Rubbing Alcohol = Perfect Clear skin?

Delo8469

So all you believe that rubbing alcohol does not lead to perfect skin. Can you please tell me why you believe that and has a dermatologist said anything to say that it is bad for you

Kassie

I agree this sounds like something that would just upset your skin and dry the heck out of it. She probably either has good genes or she's lying to you.

BigBeauty

I believe it has to do with Skin Type. I have combination skin and I just recently heard from my aunt how alcohol is her beauty regimen and must I add she has great skin. I've been using it for two we eks now and my face has been better than ever! I put makeup on today and my boyfriend didn't even notice. I had to play the what's different about me game. .. its has done wonders on my skin!!! No more soaps on my skin again.. hot water n alcohol regimen.

tirurit

Quite simple, for those who are sceptics, alcohol upsets the natural seboregulation of the skin in many cases forcing the skin to produce MORE sebum to compensate for what is being taken away, is an irritant and is associated with different skin problems.

Some interesting information:
Ethanol use is associated with skin irritation or contact dermatitis, especially in humans with an aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) deficiency
Alcohol: the facts (on beautypedia)
Alcohol: an irritant (on beautypedia)

Also, it should be taken into account that skin is everchanging during our life and that it is different in men and women and between different skin types and skin colours, so there are skins that are more resilient than others. Not that I think that one should punish one's skin despite it being resilient!

I personally have reduced/erradicated the alcohol in my skin care regime. Everyone is free to do whatever they want with their skin, but it is always preferable to have facts and no hearsay

justsaying

For oily skin, isopropyl works to degrease and tighten my pores. If wearing makeup, I wash with cleanser than tone with alcohol then rinse with water and apply moisturizer. My face is dewy smooth and soft. Alcohol removes oily dead debris and allows for the moisturizer to penetrate thru. My dark spots fade faster and safer than acid peels. My oil production has reduced and is only increased when eating foods like onions! Check out makeup alley for others who swear by it.

Esthylove

OMG please I went to school for skin care. DON'T PUT RUBBING ALCOHOL ON YOUR FACE
thud.gif
. Use a regular facial toner after you wash your face.

nailgrrl

Whereas I appreciate the wealth of knowledge in this thread, I am a Guy, and have been using rubbing alcohol since I was 17. (I will be 40 in feb od 2014). Isopropyl alcohol is all I have ever used and my skin is great. I have never suffered from acne, nor have I ever had anything more then the occasional pimple. I will say that I do not use it every day, but I can comfortably say 3-4 times a week, sometimes twice a day in the summer. It may not be for everyone, I realize that, but to scare someone away from doing like that when some can do it and be just fine (again my skin is good after 23 years of usng alcohol) is not the best policy.

Thanks
Just because some people can smoke and can "be just fine" without getting lung cancer, emphysema etc doesn't mean it's okay to recommend it. This article summarises VERY well why applying isopropyl alcohol is not good for your skin. You can also believe the accuracy of this source because her points are sourced from scientific, peer reviewed journal articles rather than unreliable anecdotes.

Murdock70

AMEN! I say just a moisturizer after you use alcohol on your face. Those people that says "ugh" I wouldn`t use that on my face don`t know about that I bet or they`re just saying what everyone else is saying mostly. Read and do the facts people. Try it for yourself. What works for you might not work for someone else and vice-versa.

Murdock70

Thank You JUSTSAYING because I use a chemical peel too and I didn`t know that Alcohol can help reduce dark spots. Thank You! But may I ask what percentage of alcohol do you use?

Mercury2907

I really don't know. From what I have read I understand that it is perhaps wrong but I am in a really desperate situation. I have tried everything from masks, to cleansers to whatever but I am tired of spending all this money when the real problem is my working environment, with all the old dusty files and things I have to deal with. Last night I finally just tried the rubbing alcohol, and added again this morning and by the time I got to work, all the tiny bumps on face was gone. I will keep using it

Latest posts