Is there a certain age...

Shadowy Lady

No there is no age limit. My dad just got his second PhD in Philosphy and he's 56. He had his first Ph.d (in political science) since his early 30's and was teaching at the university the entire time. Philosophy was always one of his interests so he just went for it. I'm incredibly proud of him
smiles.gif

YLQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folie
I was reading a thread and it intrigued me because I had a converstation today withn a friend that was very similar to it. One of the things we touched on, the friend and I, was about "adult students". You know, people who go to/finish college at the age of like age of 25 and older. We were saying how we've met students at our school, we went to the same university, who were 30s and older and many of them didn't finish.
ssad.gif
Basically after talking about the idea in general, we thought 35ish is kind of old to go back to school. Even if you finish in 4 years, you'll be about 40 by the time you land a job and everything. You've spent most your adult life working for lower wages. So, do you think there's a certain age where you're just too old to go back to school? Too old to do something else? Why?

And how old will this person be in 4 years if they don't go back to school?

In America, most people attend high school until they are 17. Average life expectancy is around 74-ish years here. Average retirement age is around 67 -ish.

Assuming a person gets a job immediately after high school instead of going right to college:

40 - 17 = 23 (# of years they will have worked for lower wages before earning a degree)

74 - 40 = 34 (# of years they will probably live after earning a degree)

67 - 40 = 27 ( # of years they will probably work before retiring)

23 x 19k = 437,000 (amount of money they made in those 23 degree-less years)

27 x 46k = 1,242,000 (minimum amount of money they will make in the 27 years after earning a bachelors degree before retiring)

27 x 19k = 513,000 (amount they will make in those same 27 years degree-less)

513,000 + 437,000 = 950,000 (working degree-less for 50 years)

1,242,000 = 437,000 = 1,679,000 (working degree-less for 23 years and degreed for 27 years)

1,679,000 - 950,000 = 729,000 (amount more in lifetime earnings after getting a degree at 40)

Now, I'm not good with math so some of that might be wrong, but it looks to me like Naomi or Methusela should take their 35 year old ass on back to school and get a degree.

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLQ
And how old will this person be in 4 years if they don't go back to school?

In America, most people attend high school until they are 17. Average life expectancy is around 74-ish years here. Average retirement age is around 67 -ish.

Assuming a person gets a job immediately after high school instead of going right to college:

40 - 17 = 23 (# of years they will have worked for lower wages before earning a degree)

74 - 40 = 34 (# of years they will probably live after earning a degree)

67 - 40 = 27 ( # of years they will probably work before retiring)

23 x 19k = 437,000 (amount of money they made in those 23 degree-less years)

27 x 46k = 1,242,000 (minimum amount of money they will make in the 27 years after earning a bachelors degree before retiring)

27 x 19k = 513,000 (amount they will make in those same 27 years degree-less)

513,000 + 437,000 = 950,000 (working degree-less for 50 years)

1,242,000 = 437,000 = 1,679,000 (working degree-less for 23 years and degreed for 27 years)

1,679,000 - 950,000 = 729,000 (amount more in lifetime earnings after getting a degree at 40)

Now, I'm not good with math so some of that might be wrong, but it looks to me like Naomi or Methusela should take their 35 year old ass on back to school and get a degree.

I think in theory, it's a good plan. I just think life doesn't always work that way. Like are they granteed 46k out of the box? Not really. Not every college degree has an almost 50k starting salary. Especially if we're talking just a BA. Even if so, who's to say they'll get a job very quickly after graduating? Also, who's more likely to get a job. A person with the same degree and younger or an older person with the same degree? I'm inclined to think younger, because younger people are more prone to take less/need less to live on. There's ageism, too, in the work force. Another factor, I didn't think of in my first post, they have more debt than they would if they got their degree when they were younger. In the US, the price of higher education just keeps getting higher. So, how much of this 46K, which they might not even get, is going into their pocket? Naturally, it depends on the school, but still.

Spesking of retirement, which I know little of. Does retirement work the same if you enter a field in older years? Would it affect pension? I'm guessing not 401K, unless you have it through a job. Would it affect social security? I would think, the only affect on ss, if it's even there by the time people my age retire lol, is you won't get as much as you would have had you started in that field first.

I'm not against people going back. I think life is different for everyone, but going back doesn't seem like something I'd do myself. Seems more cons than pros.

Lauren1981

i believe that when we set goals for ourselves it's good to set an age as a deadline for having met that goal (i.e. by the time i'm 30, but before 31 i should and want to be a RN). however i think this topic probably depends on what we consider old. me personally i don't think 35 is too old for anything as far as career changes or going back to school. this goes along with what i said about setting certain ages as deadlines for goals we want to meet. i just got accepted into nursing school and i turn 29 a couple of months afterwards. i'm going for my AS in it and my plan is working for a few years and then going for my bachelors..... if everything goes as planned i'll be finish with my AS by the time i'm 30, before 31 and then i'll work and by the time i'm 33/34 i'll be going back for my bachelors and i should be done with that by 35.... so no i don't think 35 is too old to be in school or go back. somedays i used to wish i would have figured out nursing is what i wanted to do back when i graduated highschool then i would have had my bachelors in it already and i would have gotten it in 2004 when i was 23 instead of a degree in liberal studies but i probably wasn't ready for it yet back then so i'm just thankful that i am able to go back to school for whatever i want and whatever age i want. if 35 was the age at which i went back then oh well. i guess when you get to late 20's or early 30's and it's taken you a little longer to figure out what you want to do or be able to do what you want then 35 doesn't seem like it's too old. but like i said earlier, i think it all depends on what we all consider "old"
yes.gif

hello_kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren1981
i believe that when we set goals for ourselves it's good to set an age as a deadline for having met that goal (i.e. by the time i'm 30, but before 31 i should and want to be a RN). however i think this topic probably depends on what we consider old. me personally i don't think 35 is too old for anything as far as career changes or going back to school. this goes along with what i said about setting certain ages as deadlines for goals we want to meet. i just got accepted into nursing school and i turn 29 a couple of months afterwards. i'm going for my AS in it and my plan is working for a few years and then going for my bachelors..... if everything goes as planned i'll be finish with my AS by the time i'm 30, before 31 and then i'll work and by the time i'm 33/34 i'll be going back for my bachelors and i should be done with that by 35.... so no i don't think 35 is too old to be in school or go back. somedays i used to wish i would have figured out nursing is what i wanted to do back when i graduated highschool then i would have had my bachelors in it already and i would have gotten it in 2004 when i was 23 instead of a degree in liberal studies but i probably wasn't ready for it yet back then so i'm just thankful that i am able to go back to school for whatever i want and whatever age i want. if 35 was the age at which i went back then oh well. i guess when you get to late 20's or early 30's and it's taken you a little longer to figure out what you want to do or be able to do what you want then 35 doesn't seem like it's too old. but like i said earlier, i think it all depends on what we all consider "old"
yes.gif

You're like my twin!
greengrin.gif
I'm starting nursing school for an AS-RN this fall. I'm 26 (will turn 27 soon after I start). I got my BS in microbiology when I was 22, but it turned out to be really useless at the BS level. I really wish I did nursing the first time around as well. And I have had some people comment about how "old" I am to just now being going to school for a career...

I'll finish when I'm 28... there's students in my nursing class that are easily 40-50 years old, though. So I don't think there's such thing as being to old... a lot of people have realized they have to change careers and what not, or just find new interests in life. I'm getting divorced, and I was a housewife while married, so I HAD to go back to make my own life for myself, and I can't be more excited to know that I'll be making the bucks and able to support myself without a man, even if that happens as I'm pushing 30.

JULIA

Some people do it to keep busy. I know of quite a few people who went back to university/college AFTER they retired. People get bored!

But really, I don't think anyone's too "old" to continue/begin an academic career. As long as the person finds some sort of fulfillment and success from it then all the more power to them. It's not really fair for someone to forgo bettering their education because of their age. They shouldn't have to settle for what they have because that's what they have become accustomed to. Everyone should have the opportunity to make their situation better for themselves.

jenjunsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmom
Well, I'm 40 and I have a very good paying job (have never worked for low wages) and I'm going back to school this fall to get my esthetics certificates.

For me I jumped right into the corporate world after high school and quickly moved up in rank and pay. After losing my first child to SIDS, I left the work world to be a stay at home mom. All that mattered to me was spending every moment possible with my children.

I've built up an at-home business successfully over the last 15 years designing and selling home decor at trade shows. Its incredibly hard work, but it allowed me to be home with my boys all the time.

Two years ago I went back to work part time in an office job. I'm still there now.

Now I'm ready for 'me' time. My boys are 13 and 10. My plan is to get my education now so that when my youngest is in junior high, I will go back to work full time in the beauty industry.

So to answer your question, you're never too old for schooling. Life throws many curve balls at you. Twenty years ago I would have told you that by 40 I would be in a top corporate position. Looking back now, I know I wouldn't have been happy.

I'm so excited to be able to go back to school now. I know what I like in life and I'm very clear about who I am and where the next phase in my life will take me.

I can understand, at your age, why you think 40 is too old for many things. But I promise you, when you get here, you'll feel like things are just getting started!!

I completely agree with you! I was very much the same. 12 years ago I took 2 years off to stay home with my baby. I went back to work 10 years ago and was making what I would consider a very comfortable wage. But I wasn't happy! I am 37 now and I have this summer and fall semester left to complete my B.A. and then I am going directly into the Master's program. I will have my Master's by 40. I definitely don't think I am too old! My daughter is almost 13 now, so I don't feel like I am neglecting her when I have to study. On top of that, I really do feel like my life is just beginning. Alot (not all) -but many- people spend their 20's trying to please someone else...friends, spouses, parents, etc. You get older and realize that you have to make yourself happy first and everything else falls into place. For me, this included getting the degree I always wanted. I will be making at least if not more than what I was making before. But it isn't about money anyway-it is about self fulfillment. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

InspiredBlue

If you graduate at 40, you have 25 or so working years ahead of you before retirement. So, no, that person will not have spent "most of their life" doing whatever it was they were doing before they went back to school.

Since you are classifying anyone who graduates at 25 or up as OLD, I take it you are pretty young. So I wonder what you are after? A legitimate reason to say that the "adult students" shouldn't be there? This thread reeks of ageism and ohmygoshlookatthepoormisguideduneducatedoldpeopleb reathingmypreciousair.

jenjunsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue
If you graduate at 40, you have 25 or so working years ahead of you before retirement. So, no, that person will not have spent "most of their life" doing whatever it was they were doing before they went back to school.

Since you are classifying anyone who graduates at 25 or up as OLD, I take it you are pretty young. So I wonder what you are after? A legitimate reason to say that the "adult students" shouldn't be there? This thread reeks of ageism and ohmygoshlookatthepoormisguideduneducatedoldpeopleb reathingmypreciousair.

^THIS!!^

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue

I'm not. Adult student as a term starts at 25. Mature student - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I misread it. You have to begin at 25 to be an adult student. I think people feel I'm saying don't do it, which I'm not. I'm just saying it's not my train of thought. Even if I were to dislike my career later in life, I doubt I would go back later in life to totally change careers. I plan to get an MA in another year or so, but within my field and am hoping a future job will fund it, and that will probably be it. PhD is too much time and work for me. If you want to go back, it's up to you. However, I feel, for myself, the cons outweight the pros.
th_dunno.gif

YLQ

Quote:
I think in theory, it's a good plan. I just think life doesn't always work that way. Like are they granteed 46k out of the box? Not really....

Nothing in life is guaranteed. Before I went to sleep last night, no one guaranteed me that I would wake up this morning but I still set my alarm clock.

dbecker87

I admire anyone who gathers the courage to go back to school.

I love talking to the adult students, as I feel they actually have something to offer in study groups. You can't learn life experience, and that's what I love. 5 years ago, I was a person with very different priorities than now. I don't think I would have had any interest in school when I was younger. However, after having a few customer service jobs, I realized that I didn't want to spend the rest of my life in these jobs. So, I got my act together and went back to school. I'm not an adult student now, but I'm pretty damn close.

So, a big shoutout to all the adult students out there! You guys rock!

nebbish

My mom spent seven years going to school online to get her MBA whilst raising my kid sister & I. She was almost 40 when she finally graduated. It took her so long because she had to keep taking breaks for life, but shit happens. My point is, I don't think you're ever too old to go back to school!

I also have to say I've got massive admiration for people who realize 'you know what? I'm not happy!' and fix it, especially in such a drastic way. I'm going to school myself, and even thought I'm unattached in the children department, it's still difficult.

If I had my choice, I'd just like to be a professional student
greengrin.gif

COBI

I entered the work force out of high school. I've always had a high IQ (mensa-qualified), but could not possibly imagine going to school for another four years. I spent a few years working in retail while picking up a few course credits here and there before getting an entry level accounting job in a bank.

Within about 12 months, I was the offered the Accounting Manager position and within about 6 months from then was named controller.

To continue to progress, I needed to catch my formal education up with my resume experience (primarily due to my field.) I added full-time school to my full-time job and completed my bachelor's degree at 32.

I took a few months off and then continued with a full-time masters program while working full-time and completed the degree at 34.

I don't think there is a "too old" for school age; I can't say that I won't go for an additional degree or certificate program later. I firmly believe learning is a lifelong goal.

I also think with regards to advance degrees, "real life" experience enhances the experience significantly. It was obvious the benefit those of us with real world experience had during masters level classes over those completing their MBAs as part of a 5-year (bach + masters) program.

In broad & general terms, I personally believe "older" students tend to have a higher appreciation for the material they are absorbing and "why" they are there. But this is primarily based on my experience with people I've encountered in my life and certainly exceptions exist.

Lauren1981

Quote:
I'm not. Adult student as a term starts at 25. Mature student - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I misread it. You have to begin at 25 to be an adult student. I think people feel I'm saying don't do it, which I'm not. I'm just saying it's not my train of thought. Even if I were to dislike my career later in life, I doubt I would go back later in life to totally change careers. I plan to get an MA in another year or so, but within my field and am hoping a future job will fund it, and that will probably be it. PhD is too much time and work for me. If you want to go back, it's up to you. However, I feel, for myself, the cons outweight the pros.
th_dunno.gif

i don't think anyone is feeling that you're saying don't do it. the way you put it out there is that 35 is simply too old to go back to school or be in school because by the time they find a "real" job they will be 40 which is then insinuating that 40 too old for anything as well.
you're opinion is fine but you have to understand that things have changed so much. i know since the recession i have seen SOOOO many people go back to school regardless of age. there are many MANY factors that go into someone going to school right out of college or not starting til late 20's to mid 30's. speaking for myself, i got a bachelor's degree that i can't do shit with back in 2004 because i spent my college career going wild because i was finally on my own. thinking about what i wanted to be later on wasn't a huge priority when i got to college and by the time i figured it out i just wanted to graduate. why? BECAUSE I CAN ALWAYS GO BACK. whenever i want. hell, my mom went back at 45 for her master's and i absolutely love the fact that, despite her age, she went back to school for something she always wanted. also, there are those that may have not had the means financially to attend college before they became "adult students" and others may have had families or babies to take care and college didn't fit into their schedule.
so, there's nothing wrong with how you feel for yourself but the way that it was put out here in this thread is going to offend some people. you don't know, there could have been some 35 year olds reading this thread who are starting their first year this fall and then they're reading a thread where someone is saying 35 is too old.....
th_dunno.gif

just something to think about.

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI

I also think with regards to advance degrees, "real life" experience enhances the experience significantly.

this is the conclusion i've come to based off of personal experience. just speaking for myself.

jenjunsan

Quote:
th_dunno.gif

It's very easy for you to say this now. Trust me...in 20 years you will look back at the person you are now and revel at the changes. Try not to be so narrow-minded. I hope for your sake that you would consider a change down the line if you realize you are unhappy rather than to wake up when you are 90 and wish your life had been different.

Folie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren1981
i don't think anyone is feeling that you're saying don't do it. the way you put it out there is that 35 is simply too old to go back to school or be in school because by the time they find a "real" job they will be 40 which is then insinuating that 40 too old for anything as well.
you're opinion is fine but you have to understand that things have changed so much. i know since the recession i have seen SOOOO many people go back to school regardless of age. there are many MANY factors that go into someone going to school right out of college or not starting til late 20's to mid 30's. speaking for myself, i got a bachelor's degree that i can't do shit with back in 2004 because i spent my college career going wild because i was finally on my own. thinking about what i wanted to be later on wasn't a huge priority when i got to college and by the time i figured it out i just wanted to graduate. why? BECAUSE I CAN ALWAYS GO BACK. whenever i want. hell, my mom went back at 45 for her master's and i absolutely love the fact that, despite her age, she went back to school for something she always wanted. also, there are those that may have not had the means financially to attend college before they became "adult students" and others may have had families or babies to take care and college didn't fit into their schedule.
so, there's nothing wrong with how you feel for yourself but the way that it was put out here in this thread is going to offend some people. you don't know, there could have been some 35 year olds reading this thread who are starting their first year this fall and then they're reading a thread where someone is saying 35 is too old.....
th_dunno.gif

just something to think about.

If that's the case, I hope I didn't offend anyone reading this.
ssad.gif
If you want to go back, it's fine.
yes.gif
I guess, I feel bad for people who don't do it when they're younger, but maybe they didn't want to.

Lauren1981

Quote:
ssad.gif
yes.gif
I guess, I feel bad for people who don't do it when they're younger, but maybe they didn't want to.

well you don't seem malicious like you were TRYING to offend anyone but it can be offensive. and don't feel sorry anyone who didn't go when they were younger. everyone's circumstances are different and no one is necessarily missing out just because they didn't go at a young age. at almost 29 i appreciate school WAY more than i did from 19-23. i kind of feel i would have just lived my life until now and THEN went back so then i wouldn't have to pay back the $20,000 i got in financial aid for a liberal studies degree. i personally feel i'll be a better nurse now at 30 than at 23 simply because my outlook on life has changed considerably in the past 6 to 7 years. and i'm happy to be going back and not finishing again until 35. and i'll keep going because i don't want to just be a nurse for the rest of my life. i'd love to move up in the chain so i'll prob be BACK in school in my 40's. it is what it is. have your opinion. i'm certainly not knocking it but saying people are too old and that you feel sorry for those who didn't go when they were young is slightly offensive. i don't feel sorry my godmothers friend who just went back for her degree in nursing at 58 years old. for what??!! what's to feel sorry for?? i think it's exciting to be able to have the means to up and make a career change whenever you want. instead of feeling sorry i'm happy school will always be there for anyone who wants to go whenever they are ready and able

Modmom

Quote:
ssad.gif
yes.gif

That's the thing...don't feel sorry for people who choose to go back to school when they're older. You don't know anything about the reasons behind this very personal decision. You don't know if this was the only chance they've had to do it and to them this is the most amazing, most exciting time of their life. There's no need to pity or judge
winks.gif
You are going to find many times in your life that you end up having to make huge life decisions and changes. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you received social acceptance and support when you reach those crossroads?