MACYS SUCKS/hourly wage salary.

so i just got back from an interview with macys! was offered a job on call in cosmetics, so basically i will only be called to counters that need my assistance for that week. my hourly wage is $7.40 AN HOUR!! what the hell?? i was so shocked when i saw this while filling out my application. i couldnt believe it. i worked for sephora and gap before so i have retail experience! i just left, and it made me realize how much i want to work for MAC and not to settle for anything less. Its a little depressing because i am having a hard time finding a job and they were the only people that called back. I am going to apply next week to all MAC counters hopefully i get it because i feel lower than low right now.i am FULL TIME student so i am looking for part time but hopefully something that pays a little bit more JESUS!!!!

LC

Yeah macy's DOES suck. however, you can negotiate. I negotiated from 9 to 13, plus commission and override (i was a CM). mac definitely pays wayyy better! keep trying with them!

KimmyAnn_678

Agh. The dreaded on-calls. We hate them because when there are extra hours for gifts or call offs, they give them to the on-calls because they are paid less instead of us part timers... which over the years have gone from having 24 hours/week down to only 15.

I hope Macy's gets rids of the on calls soon. I've already had a few customers complain about the one they hired (claims she has cosmetics experience from a WalGreens, but I swear maybe it was '92 if you could see how she "applies" her own make up. Yuck.). And she was only at my counter for one day.

I think being an on-call would suck anyways. You might work 15 hours one week, but then not work again for another month.

Good luck finding something better with more regular hours in any case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC
Yeah macy's DOES suck. however, you can negotiate. I negotiated from 9 to 13, plus commission and override (i was a CM). mac definitely pays wayyy better! keep trying with them!

Thanks girl! i will this is unbelievable lol i thought i was being punked and Kutcher would pop out of the room or something lol i mean i wouldnt have complained if i was 18 and just starting but i am in college and i have retail experience. I will definitely keep trying with mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyAnn_678
Agh. The dreaded on-calls. We hate them because when there are extra hours for gifts or call offs, they give them to the on-calls because they are paid less instead of us part timers... which over the years have gone from having 24 hours/week down to only 15.

I hope Macy's gets rids of the on calls soon. I've already had a few customers complain about the one they hired (claims she has cosmetics experience from a WalGreens, but I swear maybe it was '92 if you could see how she "applies" her own make up. Yuck.). And she was only at my counter for one day.

I think being an on-call would suck anyways. You might work 15 hours one week, but then not work again for another month.

Good luck finding something better with more regular hours in any case!

Thank you so much for breaking it down for me, i wasn't sure how it would work for me. This is a terrible position thank god i didn't go through with it, but it was the only call back i got from applying to jobs since i am a full time student. I am looking for part time and will later know to stay way from the Dreaded on call positions lol i laughed when you mentioned the on call girl's makeup! that was hilarious
th_DANCE.gif
thank you for responding :)

Flaminbird

I applied there this past winter/spring since I was laid off for almost a year at that time. They called me for an interview and what an odd interview it was. The lady asked me why I wanted to work there....I was like...uhhh because I need a job. LOL anyway then she said "ok sell me an outfit". I said what? SHe said part of the job was to sell people outfits and said if they come up to pay for a shirt you needed to try and sell them pants to go with it. I said that never in my 25 yrs of shopping at Macy's had I ever had a cashier/associate try to sell me something else other then what I Was buying. Then she told me that I needed to meet a quota of signing up people for credit cards in a month and if I did not reach the quote I would be terminated. Then she said the pay... $7.90! I was just like you Makeup_BeautyD. All that work and you only pay minimum? And then she threw it on top of al that, that the hours would be at the most 16. I declined the offer and it made a bad taste about Macy's. I didnt and don't really like to shop there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
That's ridiculous ( the MAC store on 125th in Harlem is hiring though)

Thanks girl!!! i actually went by there 2 months ago and they weren't
yes.gif
hiring :-(. I will try this week and go. thank you :)

xoxoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaminbird
I applied there this past winter/spring since I was laid off for almost a year at that time. They called me for an interview and what an odd interview it was. The lady asked me why I wanted to work there....I was like...uhhh because I need a job. LOL anyway then she said "ok sell me an outfit". I said what? SHe said part of the job was to sell people outfits and said if they come up to pay for a shirt you needed to try and sell them pants to go with it. I said that never in my 25 yrs of shopping at Macy's had I ever had a cashier/associate try to sell me something else other then what I Was buying. Then she told me that I needed to meet a quota of signing up people for credit cards in a month and if I did not reach the quote I would be terminated. Then she said the pay... $7.90! I was just like you Makeup_BeautyD. All that work and you only pay minimum? And then she threw it on top of al that, that the hours would be at the most 16. I declined the offer and it made a bad taste about Macy's. I didnt and don't really like to shop there anymore.

That's terrible! at least they offered you more money than me lol i was so shocked when i saw that, its Macys I would of thought, that they would pay their employees much more. It seems like they wanted so much from you and only paying you $7.90, i don't think anyone especially in cosmetics, should be paid no lower than $10.00. good thing you didnt take that job!!!

KimmyAnn_678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaminbird
anyway then she said "ok sell me an outfit". I said what? SHe said part of the job was to sell people outfits and said if they come up to pay for a shirt you needed to try and sell them pants to go with it. I said that never in my 25 yrs of shopping at Macy's had I ever had a cashier/associate try to sell me something else other then what I Was buying.

Yep. Add on sales and link selling used to just be something used in cosmetics, but now even the regular clothing associates have IPT and AUS on their score cards. Most employees don't just try to add a pair of socks at the register or something weird like that. But maybe you're looking for a shirt, and an associate helps you find what you're looking for and hey, did you see these new vests we just got in? Aren't they cute? And this one would look really cute over your shirt, too!

Just like cosmetics. You just don't show them a lipstick, you show the lipstick, a matching lip liner (hey, you need the pencil sharpener, too!) and a gloss, and while you're here why don't try our new scent on as well?

It's sick LOL.

SmokeSignal16

KimmyAnn nailed it! I have been with Macys for 3 years (going on 4 in November) as part time. I started off at 7.49 and I am just now making 9.01 an hour! And the hours suck too because yeah we had an on call girl but she quit,but they take out of our commission, sales, and hours too. The credit is such bullshit. Im sorry I dont want to sell someone a crappy credit card because most people are being smart now and days and paying their cards off and not using them but Macys doesnt understand that. Im stuck there until I can find something else, just keep looking girl and be positive! Sorry I kind of had to rant about that place...lol

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeup_BeautyD
Thanks girl!!! i actually went by there 2 months ago and they weren't
yes.gif
hiring :-(. I will try this week and go. thank you :)

xoxoxo

They lied. I don't know what it is with the MAC stores and counters in NYC. It's like winningthe fucking lottery to score an interview. My friend works for the counter in the Bloomingdales in SoHo, and she tells me when they are hiring for certain locations.

On the other hand it seems like people who are getting jobs there are just lucking out. My friend said she randomly stopped by a counter looking at eyeshadows when they offered her a freelance job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
They lied. I don't know what it is with the MAC stores and counters in NYC. It's like winningthe fucking lottery to score an interview. My friend works for the counter in the Bloomingdales in SoHo, and she tells me when they are hiring for certain locations.

On the other hand it seems like people who are getting jobs there are just lucking out. My friend said she randomly stopped by a counter looking at eyeshadows when they offered her a freelance job.

WTH?? seriously i've been trying this ENTIRE summer for a interview with mac. I had one in the beginning of summer and was told i would of been overwhelmed because my retail experience wasn't that great. Left in tears, but i didnt give up, and just yesterday i was at the mac counter at 34th street in nyc and it just made me feel like crap, because i see people working their who look like complete CLOWNS, PILED ON MAKEUP! no one ever wants to help you because its just fucking packed in there and they decide to look away. Its like what makes you so god damn better then me? you know lol sorry i am just so upset with this shit lol i am applying again this week, you are right about mac stores in nyc most of them are rude and just laugh in your face when you had in your resume. The one in harlem i traveled all the way from brooklyn, and this idiot said they weren't hiring and just walked away, they usually take your resume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeSignal16
KimmyAnn nailed it! I have been with Macys for 3 years (going on 4 in November) as part time. I started off at 7.49 and I am just now making 9.01 an hour! And the hours suck too because yeah we had an on call girl but she quit,but they take out of our commission, sales, and hours too. The credit is such bullshit. Im sorry I dont want to sell someone a crappy credit card because most people are being smart now and days and paying their cards off and not using them but Macys doesnt understand that. Im stuck there until I can find something else, just keep looking girl and be positive! Sorry I kind of had to rant about that place...lol

ugh so god damn credit cards lol i didn't even take the job i felt disrespected and worthless. Since you been there for 3 yrs why don't you apply for other places like mac, or free standing store. I'm sure with your experience you can get something way better with hours and pay. i hope you do SCREW MACYS lol unless mac hires me than we can talk lol hahahah
thanks for your response xoxoxo

SmokeSignal16

^Your welcome! Yeah I have been looking but its a tought market right now! I'm really bff with my MA so he tries to keep me in the loop on openings and such. I just take it day by day and hope to leave that horried place asap! Good luck to you in your search!

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeup_BeautyD
WTH?? seriously i've been trying this ENTIRE summer for a interview with mac. I had one in the beginning of summer and was told i would of been overwhelmed because my retail experience wasn't that great. Left in tears, but i didnt give up, and just yesterday i was at the mac counter at 34th street in nyc and it just made me feel like crap, because i see people working their who look like complete CLOWNS, PILED ON MAKEUP! no one ever wants to help you because its just fucking packed in there and they decide to look away. Its like what makes you so god damn better then me? you know lol sorry i am just so upset with this shit lol i am applying again this week, you are right about mac stores in nyc most of them are rude and just laugh in your face when you had in your resume. The one in harlem i traveled all the way from brooklyn, and this idiot said they weren't hiring and just walked away, they usually take your resume.

The on on 34th is the worst! I felt like crap when I went there to hand in my resume, they keep saying they're not hiring but I always see new girls there telling me they just got hired.
I also went to Fulton in BK's MACY's but the girl working there told me that I would have a better chance of going to Roosevelt Field (Or mall something like that) to speak with the manager there, since she does the hiring for that district. Have you tried there? I would go but I'm all the way uptown, and that's too far.

getmorwithhoney

Try 7.25 an hour no raises, same pay for the last 4 years at least! The atmosphere is horrible in the Crystal Run, NY store! Same associates always getting recognized, and they work in all the busy departments! No where to go but out and make more money! I would never tell anyone to apply here, not worth the harrassment day in and day out!

All Sales

No Doubt!! I sold over $10,000 in women's shoes and accessories during a Christmas holiday season. My biggest commission check?? $40.00! They systematically cheat shoe sales associates out of commissions. Lifetime BOYCOTT!!!

Latest posts