For the makeup addicts- How did your friends and family react?

Adnegveill35

My mother doesn't get it...she thinks its a vain activity and 'just for play'. I just just wish that she could see it as a way to express myself and be artistic! My BF doesn't really care, and is very supportive though so it balances out. My friends are into makeup, but not as much as I am.

laylalovesmac

Not a lot of the people who are close to me know how obsessed I am with makeup. My mom definitely knows, and a few of my best friends, but otherwise... no one, really. Specktra is where I go on and on about makeup, and outside of it, I have lots of other interests. A lot of the people I go to school with don't see me as makeup obsessed but music obsessed, for example.

The people who do know don't really get it. Of course, I give my mom anything I don't want or don't like, but I think she does get frustrated with how much time and money I put into it. But, she knows it makes me happy, and since I've found it as an outlet, I've been a much happier person, so I think she's okay with it.

I am the only one amongst my friends who is this obsessed, for sure. A lot of my friends don't bother with makeup actually. They support me and let me do theirs if we're going out or something, but I'm so thankful for Specktra because I don't think they'd put up with me talking about it all the time.

Also, it's not like my collection is super huge. Yet.
sneaky.gif
Jk, jk. But, I don't just buy something to have it. I think that's why they're more supportive of it. I buy something because I genuinely want it- not because it's on sale or trending.

Actually, I lied. I do have one friend who's pretty into makeup, but I never discuss it with her. She's one of those people that takes makeup-related suggestions very harshly, and she wears the wrong color of foundation and it drives me crazy. I don't know why she does that since she does know a lot about it, but to each their own I guess.
winkiss.gif

MoGiselle

This is such a good topic!

I dont have any makeup addict friends, Im all alone!
My family really didnt know how much I love makeup until my ma, grandma, and myself went to a CCO and I spent 100. My mom flipped at the register but I was trying to tell her that I only spend 100 because I wanted to buy some boots and I would have spent much more. At that point, they knew I spend alot but they still dont know how much.

My boyfriend (who I live with) know how much I love makeup by the packages that comes to our house and going to macys every week. He doesnt like how much I spend but he likes the fact that I found such a hobby that makes me happy.

I learned not to talk about makeup around my friends or family because I dont want to get asked about how much I spend. No one understands
ssad.gif

vintageroses

Ahhh I like this topic!
greengrin.gif
Thanks for starting it!
smiles.gif

Well mum was kinda like telling me to stop spending on makeup! Haha like my mum & sis do use makeup but they have a collection for a normal human, while I don't. Mine can last generations!
tong.gif
haha My mum doesn't really know exactly how much I spend, but she knows it quite abit.

My friends were alright with it & some of them are more into makeup now (because of my influence
tong.gif
) Same thing with my youtube channel, one of my best friend is really really supportive about my channel & so is my mum but I feel SO awkward letting her watch my videos!
tong.gif

brightcrystal10

I have by no means a big collection of makeup, but my family do all make comments, especially when my monthly MAC order gets delivered. To be honest though, I buy it all with my own money and I don't go out drinking numerous times a week so in that sense I don't see an issue with it. Having low self-esteem, wearing makeup makes me feel more confident and if I'm wearing what I'd consider a 'pretty' product, that's going to make ME feel pretty.

LorraineER

I have by no means a big collection of makeup, but my family do all make comments, especially when my monthly MAC order gets delivered. To be honest though, I buy it all with my own money and I don't go out drinking numerous times a week so in that sense I don't see an issue with it. Having low self-esteem, wearing makeup makes me feel more confident and if I'm wearing what I'd consider a 'pretty' product, that's going to make ME feel pretty.

I think it's normal to feel that way. You know that feeling after you've been to the salon and had something you love done to your hair, or when you have on a new outfit, or killer makeup? I think lots of us enjoy the way those things make us feel ;D (As long as you don't depend on outside factors to feel good about yourself all the time) That's why I have such respect for makeup artists and hair stylists because it's their talented hands that help make that happen. The main reason I love makeup is just because it's fun for me and it lets me be creative... but feeling pretty when I wear it doesn't hurt!

spectrolite

I am the only one out of my friends/family who is passionate about makeup. But those who know me love me for it and know that it's just me expressing myself
smiles.gif

Meisje

Even though I'm very into learning application techniques, watching videos, surfing blogs/forums and ogling makeup, I don't buy a whole lot. I'm not a serious collector; I only want things I will use and only want an things that I will be able to use in a reasonable amount of time.

My husband is very supportive and happy about my interest, as he's into F/X makeup, photo shoots and character creation. It complements his interests. He often encourages me to "treat" myself with makeup, although I rarely do because we're on a pretty tight budget at the moment. He seems to like the more daring looks and loves bright lips.

My Mom has always been fastidiously groomed. We don't share the same taste in clothes or beauty (she's conservative; I'm not), but we both like to be well put together.

The only people who have ever been discouraging or rude were either people who were cranky and looking for something to pick at, those who pride themselves on terrible grooming habits as if it was a sign of higher intelligence (as if grooming and smarts were mutually exclusive), or the kind of woman who feels threatened by other women and tends to gripe if anyone else looks nice. Those people all suck (and some of them smelled, too), so I never pay attention to them.

Adnegveill35

I think it's normal to feel that way. You know that feeling after you've been to the salon and had something you love done to your hair, or when you have on a new outfit, or killer makeup? I think lots of us enjoy the way those things make us feel ;D (As long as you don't depend on outside factors to feel good about yourself all the time) That's why I have such respect for makeup artists and hair stylists because it's their talented hands that help make that happen. The main reason I love makeup is just because it's fun for me and it lets me be creative... but feeling pretty when I wear it doesn't hurt!

I completely agree! It's not so much about looking 'pretty' for me, it's just plain fun and I enjoy it!
winks.gif

Dekadencija

Sadly, I'm the only one. There's only one (1) person that gets it and I love her dearly for it <3 She always says when I'm justifying myself and others my another splurge : "So what, if they can spend on DVDs, games, shoes, going out, clothes, you can too on two lipsticks to make you this pretty''
blush-anim-cl.gif
And it's simple as that. I earn my own money (which is no way near being enough
wondering.gif
) but hey, what I have, I like to spend on stuff my face loves
smiles.gif
My mom has two lipsticks, an eyeliner and a mascara in her purse and thats all she needs. When she runs out of a product, she goes out and replaces it and still ends up having 2 lipsticks. Sometimes she makes a comment on how nice my makeup looks and then I say: ''You think it's possible to look like this having one blush?'' (she insists that one blush is more than enough)
omg.gif
What I love about all this obsession is helping out my friends (they always come to me when they want to buy new foundation, new hair product, new face moisturizer) and ask my advice. But, they want me to say ''Buy this and that'' but I go on and on and on...
cooldude.gif

Love writing wish lists, crossing things off when I finally get it, saving money for next order, swaping... Oh, joy!!

DILLIGAF

Im lucky in the fact that I have a few friends that like makeup as much as I do. My sister is also into makeup so I pull from a few friends to haul with. I also know a few MUAs and they totally understand. I see this as a creative outlet. I have to admit while I used to always be interested in make up it took removing several moles on my face to get me totally obsessed. Now I see the makeup rather than the moles. My friend Sandra is an MUA/Derm PA and she is my enabler. She's also here on Specktra but mainly as a lurker. ( thats right San I called you out!!! Time to start posting!!!). Strangely enough this is just one of my expensive hobbies. I also like shoes and video gaming. Thank god I have a decent job! I just have to make a decision on which one to indulge a month.

Aelya

Well my friend really don't care, I don't talk make up with them because I know they really don't care so... When I was with my ex, I talk many time lipstick eye shadow. Poor boy
lol.gif
but he listened me and helped me to choose my make up. I don't have friend that are in beauty stuff. I wish I have ...
My mother, well she doesn't care too but she always said that I'm crazy to use all my money on that. Well I'm agree with her but I can't help it

ChynaDoll14

It is crazy that you posted this because I have been thinking about this the past few days. No one except maybe one of my friends who loves Make up herself understands me. To a certain extent not even she does, I would say that since she has been a makeup lover since her teen years, she dismisses it as me being newly obsessed because I started my love a year and a half ago BECAUSE of her. My parents definitely do not understand and talk and talk and talk everytime I buy new makeup. My other friends dont understand what the big deal is about makeup, they see it as a phase. Some people are obsessed with collecting cars, with watching every new movie that comes out, buying new video games or celebrities... I love Make up, what's the big deal? My collection isn't even big but it's growing and I love it.

Paint&Ink Chick

luv'n this subject. I have lots of friends who I know that wear make-up,but I don't think their that much into it as I am lol. But when I was married my hubby really didn't say too much & I often hid my receipts lol. I don't have nearly as much as some of you ladies here on Specktra, but I do have more than the average person. I do photography sometimes and one of my male friends was over & saw my train case in the bathroom and asked what it was? So I told him my make-up, he looked shocked and said I thought it was some of you photography equipment" I said why would I keep it in the bathroom? And he replied you don't even have that much face! And he didn't even look inside lol. Most of my little cousins think it's cool, my little girl loves it and my younger sis wants to steal it all. But I figure it's my money and if it makes me happy:)

dahlingdiva

Everyone thinks I'm crazy. And I'm beginning to think I am too. But I guess I like to wear different colors every day. I get bored if I wear the same one all the time.

LorraineER

I don't think anyone is crazy for being really interested in anything creative. Everyone has a hobby or something they love doing just because it makes them happy. If makeup makes you happy, that's great. That's your thing. I have a couple things that make me happy that I like to spend my time (and money) on and although it makes me a little sad that I don't have friends to share them with, I will not put up with people telling me that I put too much money or anything towards these things. People seem to understand that I like sewing more than they understand that I like makeup. I think most people can't see it as nothing more than a means to an end- it's just something you put on in the morning to look better and you don't think about it again. For me, I think about it a lot! I'm really glad I started this thread because everyone's answers are really worth reading. I don't like to hear that people are making you feel bad about it though, because no one has a right to.

MissPanther

I never actually get grief (except from my mom very rarely), about my usage of make up (^_^;) My mom herself is an avid make-up user (except she HATES experimentation and only sticks to the natural look), and my boyfriend understands my desire to use my face as a canvas :)

XicanaQueen

XicanaQueen-It's lonely being the only one among your friends to be into makeup. It would be like that with anything you're into, it's nice to have people to share it with. The makeup trip- is that IMATS? So exciting!!

I went to IMATS this year in Pasadena and it was so much fun! I'm planning on going to The Makeup Show in LA (http://www.themakeupshow.com/makeupshow/LA/index.html)
th_DANCE.gif

myluckypenny

My boyfriend appreciates my effort in trying to impress him, but it's pretty hard to be on the same wavelength when he's the type of colorblind where oranges look pink and he's a tad weak in seeing reds/greens... I'm sure his vision of me in colors is like an acid trip. Either way, he supports it because I get the same look on my face when I see new makeup as he does when there's a new computer gadget out there he wants. I remember the first time I oogled something excessive in price and he just smiled and said, "You look like me when I see a new computer toy..." - then he surprised me with my coveted makeup goodies to show he understood my newfound obsession.

My family loves that I've learned how to put on makeup decently, and whenever I go to see them w/o any on, they tell me I look tired and I should have made an effort to look good for them. Go figure. Without it, I'm a slob to them now. =P

Latest posts