or Connect
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › Cosmetic Topics › Cosmetic Discussion › !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

!!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH - Page 6

post #151 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha View Post
btw, i dont think being called ignorant is necessarily an insult. its an honest word to be used when someone is talking about something and they dont have ALL the facts. i'm not gonna stop shopping at coastal scents because of all this drama. its not like kathy called her a bitch.
I agree. I was expecting it to be a personal email where they really laid into her, but it seems like her first video (innocently) caused a flood of emails to CS and they panicked.

It seems like the consensus is shifting to her being ignorant now, anyway!

I also don't understand the huge fuss over the lady rating her clip a 1. She obviously disagreed with the content and was concerned about the backlash? So?

I don't think it was necessarily professionally handled but I think it has been blown up to epic proportions.
post #152 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8 View Post
Kathy was well within her right to reply, but the focus of her reply was misdirected. Instead of consumer education about the confusion of the shared common name "silica" and acknowledging the fear that it might cause, she blasted a former loyal customer and lost many others in the process.
When you have knowledge of your product the common mindset is that everyone else does also. Like how could they not know, right?!?

I think that is why it wasn't dealt with better. Now that I know the facts believe me, I am now looking at this girl like she's an idiot also. Before I was like "YOU GO GIRL!!!" As you can see some are still not changeable and dead set that this is a harmful product. This will hurt CS, that girl knew full well that it would.

Kathy could have handled it better by tagging her videos and making people's fears subside with a clear statement. I still say CS has legal grounds to go after this girl. So she gave her video ONE FREAKIN STAR... and called her what she is be it IGNORANT!!! Come on people, this girl isn't all that smart in certain respects, but she sure knows how to word things to hurt a company. That is wrong! If you don't get what I mean fast forward to the end statement and tell me she isn't on the school yard trying to destroy another girls reputation because she was picked on. You have to watch what you say about a company, this isn't simple gossip heard between friends, this is worldwide. She got this out to a lot of viewers and changed people's minds. Do not think this stops at YouTube... we are watching it, aren't we! I'm just glad we have smart beautiful people here to inform us, not everyone else has that luxury.
post #153 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

what did kathy say? i cant find it
post #154 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

^ I agree. She really only made the connection between silica and CS, not the other co's using it! So where is the line drawn between opinion and slander, legally? I will be interested to see what CS does next because I imagine they are reeling.
post #155 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

LOLZ, here we goes again with the silica comments. Not the video, but the actual comments.

YouTube - Review: CS Silica Powder Spheres
post #156 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissResha View Post
what did kathy say? i cant find it
#37 CreamPuffer put a video in this thread
post #157 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Jay-sus! I'm sick of hearing about it to be honest, talk about hysteria. Use CS, don't use CS ..do what you want! Some of the YT comments are so dumb.
post #158 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Here's another source for duh non believers:

Quote:
Crystalline silica of respirable size (less than or equl to 10 micrometer) may cause lung inflammation or cancer when it is in air and enters the lungs. Crystalline silica is not used as a cosmetic ingredient.
COSMETICSINFO.ORG - Your source for safety information about cosmetics and personal care products
post #159 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Oooh! And I wanted to add another fun fact:

Quote:
Safety Information
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has reviewed the safety of Silica and permits its use as an anticaking agent and for other uses in food. Silica as silica aerogel is Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) for use in food as an anti-foaming agent. Silicon Dioxide is Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) for use in paper and paperboard coming into contact with food.
COSMETICSINFO.ORG - Your source for safety information about cosmetics and personal care products
post #160 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushbaby View Post
Jay-sus! I'm sick of hearing about it to be honest, talk about hysteria. Use CS, don't use CS ..do what you want! Some of the YT comments are so dumb.
I agree! It's not like some big scandalous episode where she called the girl a crackwhore or something, lol.. I mean yes, she could have handled the situation a little more professionally, but I don't think people should be freaking out at the level they are.

I know some may jump ship because of this, but I just bought the 88 palette from them and i'm quite enjoying it. I'm not about to say I'll never order from them again, that's kind of extreme as none of these shenanigans have affected me in any way. So... yeah.
post #161 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

^^^ I agree, I also just purchased their products not too long ago and I'll probably still purchase again... I just think that it is a little too extreme to just quit using one product brand ever again, you know?
post #162 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
what were the other videos about?
She made ordinary tutorial videos
post #163 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Again I'm just wondering what it is you think Coastal Scents would have to gain from legal action against some random girl? A couple hundred dollars from her bank account or an apology? A person expressing an opinion is not slander, and if it was, I don't think anyone would be vlogging or blogging these days, about cosmetics much less anything else. Half of YouTube would be sued! Clearly a very good argument supported by fact has been made for the safety of silica in cosmetics, however it's not as if her concerns came out of nowhere. Also, Coastal Scents doesn't even make the products they sell, just resells them, so is she really attacking their products? Nah. People will make up their own minds about whether or not to buy from CS. They annoy the crap out me with their sky-high shipping prices but I believe I will continue to be a customer because of the convenience and because I've enjoyed their products.
post #164 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyzon View Post
In regards to several comments... Legal action, really? This girl posted a YouTube video discussing her experience expressing concerns in regard to a product and Coastal Scents very apparent disregard for her inquiry; she did not begin a smear campaign against Coastal Scents. There is a huge difference. Why would she be sued for relating her experience with a company on a website? It's free speech and it would be absolutely ridiculous for her to fear legal action. She didn't run to the press and slander the company. Not to mention what exactly would Coastal Scents stand to gain from it? They're not a huge corporation with some stellar public reputation to protect, and this YouTube girl has nothing to hand over to them! Just sayin.
Actually she did,... her post instigated the entire debate of ANTI CS. So, yes, really. I am not suggesting that CS would or should sue her, but they very well could. This girl not only linked the company directly with a chemical alledgedly used in their cosmetics and intimiated that it was dangerous, she deliberately raised unproved concerns over the product safety and did it publicly knowing that. She initiated a massive upheaval over the product saftey in a select group of users, without actually having any evidence that 1) CS was even using commercial grade silica, or 2) that what they were using was harmful.

Free speech often shares the tightrope with slander. The fact is really that anything that amounts to character assasination (in this case the company) can be litigated over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnna-lee View Post
I think that is why it wasn't dealt with better. Now that I know the facts believe me, I am now looking at this girl like she's an idiot also. Before I was like "YOU GO GIRL!!!" As you can see some are still not changeable and dead set that this is a harmful product. This will hurt CS, that girl knew full well that it would.

Kathy could have handled it better by tagging her videos and making people's fears subside with a clear statement. I still say CS has legal grounds to go after this girl. So she gave her video ONE FREAKIN STAR... and called her what she is be it IGNORANT!!! Come on people, this girl isn't all that smart in certain respects, but she sure knows how to word things to hurt a company. That is wrong! If you don't get what I mean fast forward to the end statement and tell me she isn't on the school yard trying to destroy another girls reputation because she was picked on. You have to watch what you say about a company, this isn't simple gossip heard between friends, this is worldwide. She got this out to a lot of viewers and changed people's minds. Do not think this stops at YouTube... we are watching it, aren't we! I'm just glad we have smart beautiful people here to inform us, not everyone else has that luxury.

Exactly.
post #165 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

I used to use MUFE HD powder, and I always cough as the powders are flying all over my sink or in front of my mirror.. I never seen any of my other powders do that so I thought well, it's the powder. When I kept on coughing using it, I stopped using the powder all together... I didn't know that silica would do that..

Anyway, I don't use the MUFE HD powder anymore, instead I used Laura Mercier loose powder or my AlimaPure mineral foundation powder.

This lady is really knowledgeable, and thanks to her that I know what makes me cough whenever I use MUFE HD.
post #166 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

If they do decide to take legal action against her for this particular YouTube video, I won't buy from them again. It'd just be... too ridiculous.
post #167 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suri View Post
I used to use MUFE HD powder, and I always cough as the powders are flying all over my sink or in front of my mirror.. I never seen any of my other powders do that so I thought well, it's the powder. When I kept on coughing using it, I stopped using the powder all together... I didn't know that silica would do that..

Anyway, I don't use the MUFE HD powder anymore, instead I used Laura Mercier loose powder or my AlimaPure mineral foundation powder.

This lady is really knowledgeable, and thanks to her that I know what makes me cough whenever I use MUFE HD.
not really...
post #168 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

I don't really think any beauty product is *good* for you, outside of improving self-esteem of course. Even the mineral cosmetics contain silica. So I take this whole thing with a grain of toxic salt (I couldn't resist, caffn8me!). If you head over to that Skindeep database, you'll find that almost everything is a carcinogen according to them.

That said, Coastal Scents is a just a back-alley unprofessional company. I've heard of many complaints outside of this girl and makeupsquare. One blogger received a package from them containing the mineral pressing fluid and found it leaked all over. She apparently had a hard time getting a refund from them. And that's just one of the stories. Professionalism is not CS's strong suit and something tells me it never will be.

I've bought from them twice in the past, without issue, but the products were crap. So while I recognize this girl's video is a little misguided, I do strongly disagree with how they treated her and they will not be receiving any more of my business.

The 88 palette was awful, BTW. I have no idea what to do with it.
post #169 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

I think the most appalling aspect for me is how they treated the other girl who did an unfavorable review of their brushes. You're not going to get a stellar review every time, get over it.
post #170 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410 View Post
Actually she did,... her post instigated the entire debate of ANTI CS. So, yes, really. I am not suggesting that CS would or should sue her, but they very well could. This girl not only linked the company directly with a chemical alledgedly used in their cosmetics and intimiated that it was dangerous, she deliberately raised unproved concerns over the product safety and did it publicly knowing that. She initiated a massive upheaval over the product saftey in a select group of users, without actually having any evidence that 1) CS was even using commercial grade silica, or 2) that what they were using was harmful.

Free speech often shares the tightrope with slander. The fact is really that anything that amounts to character assasination (in this case the company) can be litigated over.

Please stop talking. Thank you.
post #171 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamPuffer View Post
Please stop talking. Thank you.
You've got to be joking. Don't make me link "How to behave on an internet forum".
post #172 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamPuffer View Post
Please stop talking. Thank you.
Right back at'ya girl
post #173 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

For all who are still concerned about silica in cosmetics I found this page linked from xsparkage's website Silica in cosmetics.
Just a little more info for anyone who is concerned or just wants to be more knowledgeable
post #174 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Man...wow this is still going....
post #175 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127 View Post
Man...wow this is still going....
Yep, break out the bikinis babe, it be Jello wrestlin tyme!
post #176 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410 View Post
Right back at'ya girl

Ok....that was rude even for me. I'm sorry for being such a meanie.


As far as all this talk about how CC is going to take a huge hit in their profit department. Yea, ok! If they take a hit, it will be mostly because of their unprofessional behavior. This isn't the first time they behaved this way and because of this whole silica issue, more and more people are becoming aware of this fact. Also how many people were buying this $4 silica powder to begin with? I doubt it brought much profit to the company and they basically have been making money out of their palettes/brushes to begin with. Which by the way are on ebay for cheaper. They were bound to loose customer as the same products they sell, have been (recently) flooding ebay.

Also this whole talk about legal action is silly. There is always someone who has to take it one step further and start talking about lawsuits. Let's not give those jerks at CC any ideas please. Not too mention, it will be a waste of their time and the whole thing is just taking it too far.

In conclusion, to all you "I love CC and Kathy is so wonderful"........enjoy your free stuff suckers. Hope that $20 palette is worth selling your soul, well (_I_) anyway.


Man, I love these smileys. hahahaha
post #177 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

I dont think anyone was debating the lack of professionalism.. we pretty much all agree on that.

As for lawsuits, the youtube poster herself was the FIRST person to publicly mention that she was considering contacting a lawyer and she says it in her video for reference.

Issues stemmed from that, similar to the whole silica debate it too was debated. TBH I really doubt we are giving them any ideas that either of them havent already thought of... if this were the case she would never have mentioned seeking a lawyer to begin with.
post #178 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

deleted.
post #179 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

THANK YOU!
I'd rather dish out $40 and get SAFE silica powder if I ever do buy it.
I will never buy from CS,they lost 2 customers because my Aunt almost bought from them too...
Also, they have a really freaky warning when you check out like how their stuff may be harmful?!?!
I thought it was about the red eyeshadow in the palettes but whatever,saving money on makeup no thanks if I'm going to risk my health!
post #180 of 233

Re: !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

*sigh* Some people just want to ignore the fact that there's a difference between crystalline silica and amorphous silica.

READ. READ. READ.

And after that, there's the argument that silica is not safe in a pure concentration. It needs to be diluted. What is the MUFE powder then?

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MUFE SILICA POWDER AND THE OTHER POWDERS (CS, TKB) IS PARTICLE SIZE.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cosmetic Discussion
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › Cosmetic Topics › Cosmetic Discussion › !!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH