Re: Top eyeshadows for starting out?
1. A matte highlighter shade for browbone:
Light-Med skintone: Blanc Type
Med-Dark skintone: Brule
2. A soft-shimmer highlighter shade for browbone:
Light-Med skintone: Vanilla
Med-Dark skintone: Shroom
Basic Neutral Shades:
3. Grain - a beige-champagne color w/the perfect amount of subtle shimmer (not too much, not too little) & an awesome finish! this is one that's blah in the pot, but really impressed me & is now one of my all time faves!
4. Soft Brown OR Tete a Tint - a matte light brown/tan shade. These are both pretty much the same (Tete a Tint is on the peachier side, but once applied the difference is barely noticeable!). Either of these could be used for a nude/natural eye look (as a lid color or maybe even crease color for Light-Med skintones, & as a neutral blending shade for Med-Dark skintones).
5. All that Glitters - a really pretty, shimmery peach shade that looks great on all skintones! Can be used with pretty much any other eyeshadow color, or as an all-over lid color on its own.
6. Cork - a matte greyed-out brown. Looks awesome as a natural crease color (for the "sculpted eye" look). Also great for eyebrows.
7. Satin Taupe - a gorgeous taupe that I like to wear as an all-over lid color when I can't decide what else to use
Also awesome as a lid color for a smokey eye (w/something like Carbon or Black Tied in the crease).
8. Romp or Bronze - these are almost identical deep bronzey-brown shades w/a bit of shimmer, so either of these two are great for a warm brown look, or paired with pretty much any light neutral color. Looks awesome with golds too! Speaking of golds....
9. Amber Lights - this is a must have, IMHO.. I love this shade! It's a gorgeous deep gold w/shimmer that looks amazing on everyone. Very pigmented & easy to blend, too!
10. Expensive Pink - a beautiful duochrome - is it pink? Is it gold? it's both! It's so pretty, everyone should have one!
11. Sable - a very pretty plummy-taupe that looks great with anything... by itself, with purples, browns, smokey looks, or even blues & greens!
If you get any one green, I recommend:
12. Humid - It's the truest green MAC has in their permanent line, with excellent color payoff. Can be used as a lid color OR crease color depending on the look you're going for.
If you get any one blue, I recommend:
13. Deep Truth - A gorgeous deep ocean blue. It gives off a very pretty sheen in photos
Like Humid, it can be used as a lid color OR crease color depending on the look you're going for.
If you get any one purple, I recommend:
14. Satellite Dreams or Nocturnelle - if you want a medium-toned purple w/a slightly blue undertone, Satellite Dreams would work for you. If you prefer a deeper purple (think dark red grape), I'd go with Nocturnelle.
The Basic Matte Black:
15. Carbon - best used as a crease/outer corner color for smokey eyes, or simply to make a daytime look more dramatic. If you want shimmer/glitter, Black Tied will also work, although it's not as pigmented (or as true of a black) as Carbon.