I've been waking up at 4AM or earlier 5-6 days a week for the last two years. Do I feel alive and fresh everyday? Maybe not. But here are some of my better sleep tips, which may help you be more awake in the morning.
- Getting quality sleep is best. I can't sleep a full eight hours most days, I just spend all night tossing and turning if I try. Instead I sleep a good deep six hours.
- Stick to a schedule. You'll wake up better if you aren't switching your schedule all the time.
- Limit outside interferences. I have black out curtains, as well as earplugs and a face mask when I'm having trouble with light and noise.
- Sleep comfortably. I have a mattress topper so that my joints don't cause me pain all night.
- Use scents if it helps you. I have a few bedtime scents I can apply if I feel the need, I put them on my wrist to sniff and help me relax.
- Stay away from screens at night before bed. Sometimes that keeps me feeling too awake and makes it hard to unwind before bed.
- Also to help prepare for sleep I like to try and unwind so that I'm not just laying in bed awake for hours, by doing something calm or relaxing, like reading.
- And try not to have caffeine or a lot of sugar, or eat too late at night. Caffeine and sugar keep me awake, and eating late means your body is digesting at night which can disrupt sleep.
- Keep your bedroom and bedding temperature appropriate for the time of year as much as you can for optimal sleep, too hot or too cold can keep you awake all night.
- Don't wear socks (gives me nightmares).
In the morning, I find the stress of being late wakes me right up! XD
And after that, my half hour run/walk to work helps too. :)