or Connect
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › MAC Chat › Color Collections › MAC Strength Collection Discussion (December 2012)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MAC Strength Collection Discussion (December 2012) - Page 120

post #3571 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickMackane View Post

 

Yikes! Won't they already have gone off by the time you actually get round to using them?

 

But hey, what do I know? I don't think I've ever finished a lippy lol.gif. How long does an unopened lippy live anyway? 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkdollface View Post

I'm not so afraid about that. I have a chromaline that's 3 years old and it still works perfectly fine, doesn't smell bad, texture is the same etc. It is a good thing that the 2nd BU's are newer though. I'll make sure to have those separate and use the BU's I already had first.

Most lippies that have gone bad emit a rancid oil odor.  If it's bad, chances are, you'll know it!!   puke.gif

post #3572 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorni View Post

 

Same here, i think it's one of the best Quads lately. I will get the Inner Strength one too when the collection launches over here. Hope it's not online only.

The swatches that I saw of All Woman seemed better/more vibrant than Inner Strength.  Perhaps you'll have the chance to swatch it yourself first.  That said, I think I would have gotten Inner Strength too but I have an abundance of neutral/similar palettes/quads/shadows.

peace2.gif

post #3573 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post


heart.gif nightmoth heart.gif, current, vino, chestnut, just my type, bittersweet...

YES!  Thanks for the confirmation  th_kiss.gif

post #3574 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickMackane View Post


Thanks! Very useful info flower.gif

I always thought lippies had a shelf life just like cream products, but a bit longer. I did a major spring clean in my makeup stash last year and I tossed quite a few lippies that had started to smell and swatch like crayons. Quite a few were Clinique GWPs, so perhaps they weren't that good to begin with. But a couple of Chanels, YSLs, Helena Rubinsteins, Diors, Givenchys and Guerlains (none of which were GWPs) also ended up in the bin. Funnily enough none of the Clinique lippies I purchased had gone bad.

Does it matter if a product has been used or not? I'm guessing products that have been used would go off quicker because of bacteria and whatnot but like I said it's just a guess.

It definitely makes a difference. Items that have a shelf life will have this little symbol



Which means after it's been open, you have this many months until it can go bad. The timeframe is a general guideline, and can change based on temperature, humidity, direct sunlight, etc. again, it's not an exact date. It can be less, it can be more. Just use your senses. If it's smells/tastes/looks different than normal, it's probably time to replace it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisforluvrs View Post


Thanks! At first I thought it was mold but it didn't smell weird or anything. I'm still going to use them yes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifae View Post

Does it look like this?  I just received a lipstick that kinda looks like this (but not as bad).  I've never seen anything like it before, but I immediately suspected mold.  I googled "lipstick mold" and that's the first blog post I found.  I wiped the white coating off because I didn't really know if it was mold.  I still can't bring myself to use it, but I'm keeping it to B2M later.  It wasn't that old either (maybe a year and a half based on the collection it came from).  Not a big deal though since it was free and I only paid for shipping.

Here's one of my eye kohls i haven't used in a while. It's not uncommon to buy a new liner or lipstick from the store and it looks like this.



All you have to do is sharpen the liner or just wipe the lipstick with a tissue. You can use alcohol too if you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupgrrl View Post


Thanks! I was thinking about Nightmoth with it...I will probably try it out tonight around the house smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKESHA1908 View Post

I haven't rocked my FIRM FORM yet, but, I will when I go out this weekend and I think Nightmoth/Currant/Vino would look lovely!!! Great Advice Erine!

winkiss.gif
post #3575 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickMackane View Post


Thanks! Very useful info flower.gif

I always thought lippies had a shelf life just like cream products, but a bit longer. I did a major spring clean in my makeup stash last year and I tossed quite a few lippies that had started to smell and swatch like crayons. Quite a few were Clinique GWPs, so perhaps they weren't that good to begin with. But a couple of Chanels, YSLs, Helena Rubinsteins, Diors, Givenchys and Guerlains (none of which were GWPs) also ended up in the bin. Funnily enough none of the Clinique lippies I purchased had gone bad.

Does it matter if a product has been used or not? I'm guessing products that have been used would go off quicker because of bacteria and whatnot but like I said it's just a guess.

It definitely makes a difference. Items that have a shelf life will have this little symbol



Which means after it's been open, you have this many months until it can go bad. The timeframe is a general guideline, and can change based on temperature, humidity, direct sunlight, etc. again, it's not an exact date. It can be less, it can be more. Just use your senses. If it's smells/tastes/looks different than normal, it's probably time to replace it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisforluvrs View Post


Thanks! At first I thought it was mold but it didn't smell weird or anything. I'm still going to use them yes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifae View Post

Does it look like this?  I just received a lipstick that kinda looks like this (but not as bad).  I've never seen anything like it before, but I immediately suspected mold.  I googled "lipstick mold" and that's the first blog post I found.  I wiped the white coating off because I didn't really know if it was mold.  I still can't bring myself to use it, but I'm keeping it to B2M later.  It wasn't that old either (maybe a year and a half based on the collection it came from).  Not a big deal though since it was free and I only paid for shipping.

Here's one of my eye kohls i haven't used in a while. It's not uncommon to buy a new liner or lipstick from the store and it looks like this.



All you have to do is sharpen the liner or just wipe the lipstick with a tissue. You can use alcohol too if you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupgrrl View Post


Thanks! I was thinking about Nightmoth with it...I will probably try it out tonight around the house smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKESHA1908 View Post

I haven't rocked my FIRM FORM yet, but, I will when I go out this weekend and I think Nightmoth/Currant/Vino would look lovely!!! Great Advice Erine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medgal07 View Post

YES!  Thanks for the confirmation  th_kiss.gif

winkiss.gif
post #3576 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post


It definitely makes a difference. Items that have a shelf life will have this little symbol

Which means after it's been open, you have this many months until it can go bad. The timeframe is a general guideline, and can change based on temperature, humidity, direct sunlight, etc. again, it's not an exact date. It can be less, it can be more. Just use your senses. If it's smells/tastes/looks different than normal, it's probably time to replace it.

My Gosh, thanks so much for this info! I had no idea. 

post #3577 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post


It definitely makes a difference. Items that have a shelf life will have this little symbol

Which means after it's been open, you have this many months until it can go bad. The timeframe is a general guideline, and can change based on temperature, humidity, direct sunlight, etc. again, it's not an exact date. It can be less, it can be more. Just use your senses. If it's smells/tastes/looks different than normal, it's probably time to replace it.
Here's one of my eye kohls i haven't used in a while. It's not uncommon to buy a new liner or lipstick from the store and it looks like this.

All you have to do is sharpen the liner or just wipe the lipstick with a tissue. You can use alcohol too if you'd like.
winkiss.gif

Thank you for the info on the weird white stuff. I get where it's mostly just visible in certain light and only my lustre lippies are affected. I wiped them off with alcohol but had no issue using them. Smell and wear just fine. But stressed me out enough to not buy anymore lustre finishes. I bought a bottle of alcohol for normal and stash cleaning if necessary use so will dunk if need be. 

 

Oh, forgot to add that the white is only on the untouched parts of the lipstick and where I've wiped them off they have stayed free of it.

post #3578 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbasaur359 View Post

Thank you for the info on the weird white stuff. I get where it's mostly just visible in certain light and only my lustre lippies are affected. I wiped them off with alcohol but had no issue using them. Smell and wear just fine. But stressed me out enough to not buy anymore lustre finishes. I bought a bottle of alcohol for normal and stash cleaning if necessary use so will dunk if need be. 

Oh, forgot to add that the white is only on the untouched parts of the lipstick and where I've wiped them off they have stayed free of it.

Now that you mention it, it was lustres that i sold that had the white. Weird!!!
post #3579 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medgal07 View Post

 

Most lippies that have gone bad emit a rancid oil odor.  If it's bad, chances are, you'll know it!!   puke.gif

 

And it's a very disgusting smell!

 

MAC lipsticks contain castor seed oil and sesame oil, both will go bad after a certain time. I don't know how the lipsticks would look.. but rancid oils turn gooey and yellow-orangey and the smell is SO strong. Urrrggghhhh.

 

This is really gross (they say it's fungus or mould) :

 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shimmertje/5297014268/sizes/l/in/photostream/

post #3580 of 4811

Thanks so much for the info, Erine!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post


It definitely makes a difference. Items that have a shelf life will have this little symbol

Which means after it's been open, you have this many months until it can go bad. The timeframe is a general guideline, and can change based on temperature, humidity, direct sunlight, etc. again, it's not an exact date. It can be less, it can be more. Just use your senses. If it's smells/tastes/looks different than normal, it's probably time to replace it.
Here's one of my eye kohls i haven't used in a while. It's not uncommon to buy a new liner or lipstick from the store and it looks like this.

All you have to do is sharpen the liner or just wipe the lipstick with a tissue. You can use alcohol too if you'd like.
winkiss.gif
post #3581 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post


Now that you mention it, it was lustres that i sold that had the white. Weird!!!

It's gotta be an ingredient or something that maybe reacts to weather or something. I'm keeping my eye on them lol. I just hate not having perfect tubes except for wear which is unavoidable lol. But, I'll wear them. I really love my Cut a Caper which is a lustre. I might get it's dupe Coral Bliss when it runs low or if there's any issues with it down the road and CB is a cremesheen which doesn't get the white which is nice. Plus with the firmer texture it'll last longer too. 

post #3582 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post


Now that you mention it, it was lustres that i sold that had the white. Weird!!!

Well, I had this VG V (Lustre!!!)  for a while too and stopped using it because of the white stuff. It was almost all gone anyway.

post #3583 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbasaur359 View Post

Thank you for the info on the weird white stuff. I get where it's mostly just visible in certain light and only my lustre lippies are affected. I wiped them off with alcohol but had no issue using them. Smell and wear just fine. But stressed me out enough to not buy anymore lustre finishes. I bought a bottle of alcohol for normal and stash cleaning if necessary use so will dunk if need be. 

 

Oh, forgot to add that the white is only on the untouched parts of the lipstick and where I've wiped them off they have stayed free of it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post


Now that you mention it, it was lustres that i sold that had the white. Weird!!!

my affected lipstick was also a lustre. (plumful)

but...i don't think it was mold, so i'm not really worried. definitely interesting that it's a lustre thing though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyKitty View Post

 

And it's a very disgusting smell!

 

MAC lipsticks contain castor seed oil and sesame oil, both will go bad after a certain time. I don't know how the lipsticks would look.. but rancid oils turn gooey and yellow-orangey and the smell is SO strong. Urrrggghhhh.

 

This is really gross (they say it's fungus or mould) :

 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shimmertje/5297014268/sizes/l/in/photostream/

yuck!!!

post #3584 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by erine1881 View Post


Now that you mention it, it was lustres that i sold that had the white. Weird!!!

 

Mine was a lustre too.  It was One of a Kind!

post #3585 of 4811

This all reaffirms my belief in lustres being the culprit due to the finish. Makes me pause before buying anymore unless MAC fixs the problem. Even if just cosmetic it sux to worry about the health of a 15 dollar lipstick within a year of purchase. 

post #3586 of 4811

erine1881, thanks for sharing the info about the expiration symbol. I never noticed it before. I didn't know for certain, but I always felt that lipsticks could be kept for a long time.

 

I received a brand new Plum Bright ordered from the MAC website as soon as the Fall Colour Collection released and it had the white speckled coating over it. There were no hairs. I thought something was wrong with it, so I called MAC to get a replacement. The new replacement also arrived with the same coating. Plum Bright is a Lustre. I learn such useful information from Specktra.

post #3587 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medgal07 View Post

I fell in love with Jungle Camouflage the first time I wore it.  Sounds like you're a tad light than me (NC44).  I top the cremeblend blush with Gingerly or some other favorite powder blush.  You can absolutely rock it.  Go for it.  I think you'll like it!!!

  fluffy.gif

CC, of all people I wouldn't want YOU to miss out on this.  Run--don't walk--get this NOW!   th_happy1.gif

 

You're like my personal makeup enabler sitting on my shoulder convincing me to buy stuff. girlhaha.gif

post #3588 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifae View Post

Mine was a lustre too.  It was One of a Kind!

Yup! one of a kind, oh oh oh, and one other lustre and all had the white. All lustres!

Atleast it's nothing to fear. Nothing bad or anything.

Im gonna call the white "snow" smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post

erine1881, thanks for sharing the info about the expiration symbol. I never noticed it before. I didn't know for certain, but I always felt that lipsticks could be kept for a long time.

I received a brand new Plum Bright ordered from the MAC website as soon as the Fall Colour Collection released and it had the white speckled coating over it. There were no hairs. I thought something was wrong with it, so I called MAC to get a replacement. The new replacement also arrived with the same coating. Plum Bright is a Lustre. I learn such useful information from Specktra.

Yeah, you'll find the symbol on all beauty products, including hair products like shampoo and such.
post #3589 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupgrrl View Post

 

I had to stop going to get my eyebrows waxed, because they never would just clean them up...I would leave with them considerably thinner than when I came in.  I learned how to wax them myself, so I was able to grow them in pretty quickly.  I get Anastasia brow wax kit from Sephora, and I absolutely love it!

I've been doing them myself for about two years now, but wanted to grow them out to get a good shape.   I felt like I couldn't get mine quite right.  Well now I know. LOL  

post #3590 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post

erine1881, thanks for sharing the info about the expiration symbol. I never noticed it before. I didn't know for certain, but I always felt that lipsticks could be kept for a long time.

 

I received a brand new Plum Bright ordered from the MAC website as soon as the Fall Colour Collection released and it had the white speckled coating over it. There were no hairs. I thought something was wrong with it, so I called MAC to get a replacement. The new replacement also arrived with the same coating. Plum Bright is a Lustre. I learn such useful information from Specktra.

 

Mine was Plum Bright, too.

post #3591 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post

 

You're like my personal makeup enabler sitting on my shoulder convincing me to buy stuff. girlhaha.gif

angelic.gif girlhaha.gif

post #3592 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post

erine1881, thanks for sharing the info about the expiration symbol. I never noticed it before. I didn't know for certain, but I always felt that lipsticks could be kept for a long time.

 

I received a brand new Plum Bright ordered from the MAC website as soon as the Fall Colour Collection released and it had the white speckled coating over it. There were no hairs. I thought something was wrong with it, so I called MAC to get a replacement. The new replacement also arrived with the same coating. Plum Bright is a Lustre. I learn such useful information from Specktra.

And so what ever happened with the Plum Bright lippie?      th_dunno.gif

post #3593 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post

I'm lovin' all of the pics! The lipsticks look great on everyone.

 

 

 

Whhhyyyyy are you making me reconsider All Woman?! I need to be finished with this collection.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettypackages View Post

IKR!  I had no idea they loved it like that.  i got it, but haven't opened it yet.

Prettypackages you MUST try it.  Open and wear your All Woman quad and I'll wear my Warm Companion L/S & Nice & Simple L/B!  th_shake2.gif

post #3594 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medgal07 View Post

And so what ever happened with the Plum Bright lippie?      th_dunno.gif


I still have them. Both of them. MAC told me to just keep the 1st one when they sent out the replacement. When I saw the replacement was covered in the same "snow," I just wiped it off and used it. I figured that it must be something cosmetic after the 2nd one showed up the same way and there was no weird smell. Plum Bright turned out to be one of my favorite purples.

post #3595 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post


I still have them. Both of them. MAC told me to just keep the 1st one when they sent out the replacement. When I saw the replacement was covered in the same "snow," I just wiped it off and used it. I figured that it must be something cosmetic after the 2nd one showed up the same way and there was no weird smell. Plum Bright turned out to be one of my favorite purples.

Aahahahaha SNOW!!!
post #3596 of 4811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartoonChic View Post


I still have them. Both of them. MAC told me to just keep the 1st one when they sent out the replacement. When I saw the replacement was covered in the same "snow," I just wiped it off and used it. I figured that it must be something cosmetic after the 2nd one showed up the same way and there was no weird smell. Plum Bright turned out to be one of my favorite purples.

Then it sounds like it was ok, and all is well.  th_cheerup.gif

post #3597 of 4811

Interesting talk about the "snow".  

 

I had snow on my Fire Sign recently! 

 

Yep, a Lustre.   shockt.gif

post #3598 of 4811

I shall call the white stuff snow from now on lol. That is an apt description honestly and it's kinda funny. I just wish it would not snow on my lippies lol. 

post #3599 of 4811

The only lipstick that i found "snow" on was Runway Coral from CLinique, i just wiped it off. I only got in last May, so i knew it wasnt bad. Its happened to a couple lip liners too and i do what Erine said i just sharpened them.

post #3600 of 4811

The white stuff sounds a lot like the bloom you get on chocolate sometimes, which is something to do with the fats in it, and I think is caused by changes in temperature. Make-up especially lipstick contains oils (fats), so it could be similar.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Color Collections
Specktra › Welcome to the Specktra Community! › MAC Chat › Color Collections › MAC Strength Collection Discussion (December 2012)